Willie Mitchell!!!!!!!!!

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Not too surprised. Mitchell was a guy who wanted to return from his concussion the right way and on his terms. Seems like he's taking longer than expected with his knee in order to come back the right way when that time comes.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Good to hear. It'd be a ****ing shame if he had to end his career like that. Fingers crossed...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd rather take my chances and still sign Scuderi and if Mitchell comes back, that is a huge bonus and a plus. Let's remember he missed a full year of hockey, we can't expect him to log 20+ minutes right off the bat. Has to work his way back in and get himself back to playing shape.

Now if Mitchell does get back and the Kings do somehow re-sign Scuderi, imagine the insane amount of depth and size on the blueline.

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Regehr-Greene
Muzzin
Martinez

Of course, some players will have to be moved if that is the case, the likely candidate being Martinez. I'd also be hesitant having Regehr and Greene as a pair as the two lack foot speed and it breaks the Kings' tendency of having a puck mover and a stay-at-home player on defense. Either way, it's a good problem to have. Better to have too much depth than no depth at all.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
You all ****ing turned on this guy so fast. Whispers of career ending? BUY HIM OUT! I've been sitting here just waiting until he's been good to go, keeping the faith the entire time. Let Scuds walk. Willie is vastly superior.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'd rather take my chances and still sign Scuderi and if Mitchell comes back, that is a huge bonus and a plus. Let's remember he missed a full year of hockey, we can't expect him to log 20+ minutes right off the bat. Has to work his way back in and get himself back to playing shape.

Now if Mitchell does get back and the Kings do somehow re-sign Scuderi, imagine the insane amount of depth and size on the blueline.

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Regehr-Greene
Muzzin
Martinez

Of course, some players will have to be moved if that is the case, the likely candidate being Martinez. I'd also be hesitant having Regehr and Greene as a pair as the two lack foot speed and it breaks the Kings' tendency of having a puck mover and a stay-at-home player on defense. Either way, it's a good problem to have. Better to have too much depth than no depth at all.

My heart almost stopped beating. Can you imagine THAT defense? Good lawd.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Regehr-Greene
Muzzin
Martinez

No. That's too expensive and the Kings now and for the foreseeable future will be running with 1 defensive and 1 offensive dman per pairing. Plus, as you said, that Greene-Regehr pairing is molasses on ice.

Doughty-Mitchell
Slava-Regehr
Greene-Muzz/Mart
Muzz/Mart

I'd actually rather keep Scuds and trade Regehr but that's not happening so bye bye Scuds. Thanks for the cup. You were awesome for a long while.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
My heart almost stopped beating. Can you imagine THAT defense? Good lawd.

DAT D-CORE....

Seriously, if we were to manage this, we would have to be in the discussion for 'team withe the best Defensive core in the League'.

I should reiterate that I doubt we're able to sign all of these guys and I'm also in the camp that says Scuds walks this summer. When he does, it will be a very, very sad day.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
While it is great to have Mitchell as an option heading into cap, we have to take a wait and see approach to figure out how far along he could progress up until training cap. I'm not sure how comfortable Lombardi feels by leaving a hole on his defense and banking on Mitchell to make a full recovery.

If he loses Scuderi and Mitchell isn't ready to start the season, that's going to leave a big hole on the Kings' defense. I'm not sure we want to risk seeing four puck moving defensemen in the lineup in Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin and Martinez with only two defensive guys in Regehr and Greene.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
While it is great to have Mitchell as an option heading into cap, we have to take a wait and see approach to figure out how far along he could progress up until training cap. I'm not sure how comfortable Lombardi feels by leaving a hole on his defense and banking on Mitchell to make a full recovery.

If he loses Scuderi and Mitchell isn't ready to start the season, that's going to leave a big hole on the Kings' defense. I'm not sure we want to risk seeing four puck moving defensemen in the lineup in Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin and Martinez with only two defensive guys in Regehr and Greene.

Well we have Keaton Elle-****. Yeah...maybe re-signing Scuds wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure I just posted somewhere that re-signing Scuds would depend on Willie's health and it still is that way. I also think I just read that Scuds hasn't actually had a lot of talks with the Kings so maybe they are somewhat ready to walk away.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
No. That's too expensive ... I'd actually rather keep Scuds and trade Regehr but that's not happening so bye bye Scuds. Thanks for the cup. You were awesome for a long while.

Didn't realize it was YOUR money being spent to retain these guys ;)

Gotta agree with Ziggy Stardust here, sign Scuderi now IF WE CAN even, no guarantee he comes back, and at what cost ? but if it's around the same ballpark or less than before then by all means, as Ziggy Stardust is right even IF Mitchell comes back it's goning to take some time, meanwhile he can be listed as a NON-Roster player again, and his salary won't count against the cap right ? I don't think it did this season ? but not 100% sure about that ?

IF he returns to form and is at 100% health ... then we keep the BEST of the 3 (Mitchell, Scuderi, Regehr, Greene) and trade one ... kind of most likely Regehr but, maybe it's Scuderi, as maybe he can return us a Top 6 LW in a trade ?

ANYWAY it's still a LONG WAYS Off ... so GET HEALTHY BIG WILLIE !!! and hope you return to the Ice for the Kings, we missed ya big guy ! :yo:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Like I said earlier...if WM comes back and Skuds is signed...you can move one of RR/Greene...and recoup a few picks or fill a hole.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Imo, its more important to this team to retain both Mitchell and scuderi even if it means getting weaker in the forward area by letting a rookie replace Penners spot, along with trading a spare dman.

This may seem weird but I think Mitchell is good enough on offense to slot in as an offensive dman.

Doughty. Reiger
Voynov scuderi
Mitchell green.

Sick top 6 imo.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Bud Holloway ($1.000m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Trevor Lewis ($1.500m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.900m) / Colin Fraser ($0.825m) / Jordan Nolan ($0.700m)
Dwight King ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.000m) / Slava Voynov ($3.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Jake Muzzin ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Martin Jones ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,592,727; BONUSES: $135,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $842,273. Things are definitely tight but could work. Depends on how much Voynov/Scuds get.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I feel like Slava's going to make $4.5M. Dunno why, just do. And Holloway isn't signing with us. You guys really just need to move on.

We just don't have the cap to keep all four defensive defenseman. Trade Regehr and sign Scuderi is the ideal situation but we all know Scuds will be let go rather than trading a guy we just traded for.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I love Mitchell and really hope he comes back, but it could be very dangerous to put our hopes on a guy who has been out a full year, is 36, and has a history of concussions. If we don't bring Scuds back and Mitchell either has a setback or gets injured, it won't be pretty

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I love Mitchell and really hope he comes back, but it could be very dangerous to put our hopes on a guy who has been out a full year, is 36, and has a history of concussions. If we don't bring Scuds back and Mitchell either has a setback or gets injured, it won't be pretty

They didn't have Mitchell or Greene all year. The results were still ok in the regular season.

We'll see how it all plays out this summer.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Wow, that is tremendous, the best news I've heard since Greene coming back. Even a Rusty Mitchell would be a huge boost to the blueline.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Fingers crossed on his return for next season. Obviously cannot expect him to jump in and play heavy minutes off the bat but that's what the first half of the season can be for, just to get him back into "game shape" logging 12- 15 mins. a night.

I fear Scuds may be gone so hopefully the return of a healthy Mitchell can offset the loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad