Confirmed with Link: Williams is Back

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Gotta be Brock. Which sucks for the guy who scored the game 7 OT winner but the guys on the roster knew this was a possibility.

Well, and as soon as one guy gets injured he’s back in. Or maybe a forward thinking organization like ours is smart enough to give Williams every third game off. Or the second half of back-to-backs. If Brock is the 13th forward it’s not a death sentence. Brian Gibbons has played 15 out of 43 games this year and he sucks.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Gotta be Brock. Which sucks for the guy who scored the game 7 OT winner but the guys on the roster knew this was a possibility.

McGinn's got the Chandler Stephenson problem, but he's valuable to this season's team even as a bench piece (to keep the youth developing with the all-of-a-sudden surging Checkers). I think that an offseason trade to a place like Edmonton will be the perfect favor for him. Edmonton's got no wingers worth a damn outside of Kassian and Neal (on the PP).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Now that Willy is officially back, I now will advocate that the Canes should hold all of their draft picks at the deadline. If some team offers a package similar to the rumored Ferland for Hartman + prospects deal for Edmundson (say with Jamie Oleksiak and his extra year as a centerpiece), I would consider it, sure, but it probably will be just as astute to hold on to everything and contend with the roster in tact. No need to unnecessarily rock the boat now.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I for one am very happy with this. I think the biggest value will be in the locker room even if they don't give him a letter I hope he becomes the captain internally. Anything he adds points wise will just be a boost for us.

Reactions: zman77

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Now that Willy is officially back, I now will advocate that the Canes should hold all of their draft picks at the deadline. If some team offers a package similar to the rumored Ferland for Hartman + prospects deal for Edmundson (say with Jamie Oleksiak and his extra year as a centerpiece), I would consider it, sure, but it probably will be just as astute to hold on to everything and contend with the roster in tact. No need to unnecessarily rock the boat now.
We don't even have much room to add any player worth much without a corresponding cap move which adds another layer of complexity to any deal(s).

But I'm still really worried about the goalies and I'm not moving Edmundson because the defense is an injury away from being a disaster and playing rookies who may or may not be ready.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
We don't even have much room to add any player worth much without a corresponding cap move which adds another layer of complexity to any deal(s).

But I'm still really worried about the goalies and I'm not moving Edmundson because the defense is an injury away from being a disaster and playing rookies who may or may not be ready.

I'm a true believer in Nedeljkovic's potential next year. Just trade one of the two goalies next offseason and bring in Ned as the backup. Within time, he'll be the starter for at least the next few seasons.

As far as the defense is concerned, yes, I know that we're one of the best-conditioned teams in the league, but you're right, we've still been quite lucky with injuries this season. Note, however, that I was specifically talking about a defenseman-for-defenseman trade, where Carolina acquires a guy who has an extra year on his contract.

Reactions: zman77

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If there's any way that we can keep and re-sign Edmunson, or even make him an own rental, I would prefer that over trading for the wrong defenseman. Edmunson is a great fit here, he's been playing great, and I don't think it's smart to mess with that. We're not a team that has to sell off every available asset anymore.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think with Williams they’re done with the forwards, unless there’s a key injury to Aho/Staal/Teravainen/etc. or a so-called hockey deal presents itself that works for now and the future. I also agree they’ll more than likely hold onto most of the picks. However...

It sounds like they’re actively searching out a move to solidify the D. To me, that means they more than likely want a #4 type LD to play with Pesce. If the Gardiner from last night shows up more often, this may be less of a concern, but I still think it’s more likely than not that their next move will be for a D, and that move will have to include a current D, probably Edmundson or TVR for cap purposes, plus a prospect like Gauthier/Bean and/or a pick. Dudley was at an LA game recently, maybe Martinez is a target.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think with Williams they’re done with the forwards, unless there’s a key injury to Aho/Staal/Teravainen/etc. or a so-called hockey deal presents itself that works for now and the future. I also agree they’ll more than likely hold onto most of the picks. However...

It sounds like they’re actively searching out a move to solidify the D. To me, that means they more than likely want a #4 type LD to play with Pesce. If the Gardiner from last night shows up more often, this may be less of a concern, but I still think it’s more likely than not that their next move will be for a D, and that move will have to include a current D, probably Edmundson or TVR for cap purposes, plus a prospect like Gauthier/Bean and/or a pick. Dudley was at an LA game recently, maybe Martinez is a target.
Waddell was on 99.9 when I left the office yesterday.

Williams signing does not prevent them from exploring other opportunities, including moving out a defenseman for the right trade. He went on long enough about it that I almost expect a move to happen before the deadline.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I think Williams slots in for anyone who needs a maintenance day from being banged up. Going into the playoffs healthy will be huge.
This with the occasional day off for himself as well. Marty can center a 4th line when Haula sits which at this time seems probable given his knee. Probably a game here or there when RBA will sit someone given circumstances as well.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Is it crazy to suggest Dzingel should be the odd-man out as Williams slots back in? I haven't seen a whole lot from Dzingel lately, but I'll admit I don't know how the lines would be adjusted to accommodate this, that Necas, Haula, Dzingel line is pretty fast, JWill may not be able to keep up?

I don't think McGinn or Foegele should sit but that's just my opinion.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
To me, McGinn is the guy that sits. Foegele's evolved into a valuable player this year who call fill in the top-6 in a pinch. Wallmark is having a sneaky-great season and playing like a 3rd-liner in a 4th-line slot. I see McGinn as essentially offseason trade-fodder for a mid-round pick (but valuable this year in a depth role, no need to trade him at the deadline or anything).
I feel like this is the biggest “duh” I’ve ever seen with respect to “who sits.” Foegele is a forechecking demon and is nearly PPG in the last 15+ games (I think?).
McGinn plays hockey for the Hurricanes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If it weren't for the letter and the "intangibles", I'd say that the first candidate to sit a game among the forwards due to Williams return would be Marty. I think McGinn has been outplaying him for the whole season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad