William Nylander Discussion Thread

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Warning this thread has turned into a hot take avalanch. Fun or sad, mostly sad.
Our 5 years of watching certain things remain the same frustrating occurrences are neither sad or fun. I particularly don’t find it fun eating crow. I backed him mercilessly to this point.
I think he’s a great talent. I think after watching a defensively oriented team just this year that he looks out of place.
So trading him looks like a option. I feel terrible he hasn’t upped his game to match.
He has to get us exactly what we need in any trade or we shouldn’t move him. That’s likely a top quality, young defenseman. Then if that happens we seriously look at moving Rielly for a forward with jam and all the defensive tools. Etc. There are moves that need to happen relative to cap,needs and chemistry of team play. I’m not giving hot takes, at least I don’t think i am ;)

Reactions: ZEBROA

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Willy looked like he had his legs last night, Only complaint was his play on th PP when, as Ferraro pointed out, he had time to take the puck to the front of the net but chose to go in a diferent direction. Many thought he could replace Simmonds' role in front of the net on the PP but he is not that guy.

Its one game that he was put in a position where he is not used to on the PP. He is a side wall player on the PP like Matthews and Marner but was asked to play in front of net. That mentality does not change after one game.

If that is where they want him to play reps will help him out.

Reactions: freshwind

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Its one game that he was put in a position where he is not used to on the PP. He is a side wall player on the PP like Matthews and Marner but was asked to play in front of net. That mentality does not change after one game.

I believe he played that spot on the PP last year and did well. Too much skill on the PP is not always a good thing. It is why I liked having 2 balanced PP units. Unfortunately until Simmonds, JT and Hyman return we may not go back to that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No intensity and the optics of his body language likely is less important to me than his sample size on the whole to this point. I don’t care what Dubas said about not trading him. Let that be a lesson to him to never make a statement like that in the future. Nylander needs to be traded

I always thought this was a big put up or shut up year for the Big 4, and while Matthews and Marner have taken their games to the next level, if Nylander shows us that the 2019 season will rear it’s head once every couple of years in a productive run, that may play him out of the plans of the team.

While on body language, I also don’t like what I see from our captain. The guy obviously puts a lot of pressure on himself to be a go to guy if not the go to guy, but to see him looking skyward, visibly frustrated with his own play while the team is still in first place and the Big Line is destroying the league, I find it a bit troublesome. Where’s the exuberance for seeing your teammates have success?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002

and a little further to that, if you watch the other players on that pp jt was going directly in front of the net ... it looked like the leafs were trying to set up a version of the umbrella but with jt in the middle it was lopsided, does not really give the room for a step out from the goal line... need both deep forwards on the goal line in order to spread the d and give more options for the puck carrier up top

narrative says if it doesn't work, figure how to blame willie ... or it sure seems that way ...
i don't see anyone talking about marner's 4 giveaways in the first period though ....

willie still has a way to go to get where we seem to think he can be, but it is improving ... unless a slam dunk deal we should not be looking at moving him

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our 5 years of watching certain things remain the same frustrating occurrences are neither sad or fun. I particularly don’t find it fun eating crow. I backed him mercilessly to this point.
I think he’s a great talent. I think after watching a defensively oriented team just this year that he looks out of place.
So trading him looks like a option. I feel terrible he hasn’t upped his game to match.
He has to get us exactly what we need in any trade or we shouldn’t move him. That’s likely a top quality, young defenseman. Then if that happens we seriously look at moving Rielly for a forward with jam and all the defensive tools. Etc. There are moves that need to happen relative to cap,needs and chemistry of team play. I’m not giving hot takes, at least I don’t think i am ;)
Willy will figure it out ... but he has been sleep walking from game 2 onwards ... too much talent in Willy for me to give up on him ... last year he showed everyone he could dominate games and did for quite a few of them ... we won't get an decent return for Willy ... maybe Keefer should go back to what worked last year when Willy i thought played his best JT Mik and Willy ... Kerfoot does not work well with JT and Willy ... Hyman would be fine too ... maybe we have to retreat a bit from trying to ice 3 lines and load up a bit more on 2 lines to make both productive ... Mik and Hyman would be guys I would play with top 2 pairs ... Kerfoot really brings nothing except speed

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Willy will figure it out ... but he has been sleep walking from game 2 onwards ... too much talent in Willy for me to give up on him ... last year he showed everyone he could dominate games and did for quite a few of them ... we won't get an decent return for Willy ... maybe Keefer should go back to what worked last year when Willy i thought played his best JT Mik and Willy ... Kerfoot does not work well with JT and Willy ... Hyman would be fine too ... maybe we have to retreat a bit from trying to ice 3 lines and load up a bit more on 2 lines to make both productive ... Mik and Hyman would be guys I would play with top 2 pairs ... Kerfoot really brings nothing except speed

I think Kerfoot has looked better in the top 6 and Mikheyev seems better suited for the 3rd line.

Mikheyev reminds me a lot of Kapanen. Has most of the physical tools but just lacks the scoring touch and vision needed for the top 6. Just needs to put it together, which I hope they both will.

Kerfoot seems to work well with Nylander. He has decent hockey sense (in the offensive zone at least) and good passing / playmaking abilities.

Hyman is better than both, though.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Either give Willie his own line, play him with Matty or trade him. Willie and JT do not seem to compliment each other.

Rather than one very potent and one impotent line, I'd rather have two potent lines.

Hyman Matty Nylander
Soup/Kerfoot/Boyd JT Marner

If Nylander succeeds and Marner cannot wake up JT, we got a big problem.

If Marner wakes up JT but Matty cannot wake up Nylander, give Nylander his own line and if that fails, move him.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
and a little further to that, if you watch the other players on that pp jt was going directly in front of the net ... it looked like the leafs were trying to set up a version of the umbrella but with jt in the middle it was lopsided, does not really give the room for a step out from the goal line... need both deep forwards on the goal line in order to spread the d and give more options for the puck carrier up top

narrative says if it doesn't work, figure how to blame willie ... or it sure seems that way ...
i don't see anyone talking about marner's 4 giveaways in the first period though ....

willie still has a way to go to get where we seem to think he can be, but it is improving ... unless a slam dunk deal we should not be looking at moving him

Nobody is blaming Willie for the lack of success of the PP in the last game. Most on our PP were not good. The conversation was related to a comment Ferraro made about Willie having time and space to take the puck to the front of the net but did not.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Kerfoot has looked better in the top 6 and Mikheyev seems better suited for the 3rd line.

Mikheyev reminds me a lot of Kapanen. Has most of the physical tools but just lacks the scoring touch and vision needed for the top 6. Just needs to put it together, which I hope they both will.

Kerfoot seems to work well with Nylander. He has decent hockey sense (in the offensive zone at least) and good passing / playmaking abilities.

Hyman is better than both, though.
Yes Kerfoot looks better but who cares really about Kerfoot ... we are talking about creating right mix for Willy ... Willy can drive team ... Kerfoot is a complimentary player ... Willy looked better much better with Mik and Hyman last year ... when Kerfoot went on line it dropped off a bit and Willy still had a couple good games but he was consistently top end with Mik

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
Nobody is blaming Willie for the lack of success of the PP in the last game. Most on our PP were not good. The conversation was related to a comment Ferraro made about Willie having time and space to take the puck to the front of the net but did not.
fair enough ... but if you watch the replay of that sequence, jt headed directly for the middle of the net, bringing a dman close by, in the split second to make the decision to bring the puck around, or bring it back outside willie chose to go outside ... but that point wasn't really about that specific play, just more the fact the narrative is being set by the media ... what do people remember, what they are told and shown on multiple replays .... but players make mistakes all the time, the game is fast ... but their errors aren't pointed out ad nauseum as willie's are ...
i suspect these discussions will continue until either we win a cup or someone of the core is moved .... cheers ...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
fair enough ... but if you watch the replay of that sequence, jt headed directly for the middle of the net, bringing a dman close by, in the split second to make the decision to bring the puck around, or bring it back outside willie chose to go outside ... but that point wasn't really about that specific play, just more the fact the narrative is being set by the media ... what do people remember, what they are told and shown on multiple replays .... but players make mistakes all the time, the game is fast ... but their errors aren't pointed out ad nauseum as willie's are ...
i suspect these discussions will continue until either we win a cup or someone of the core is moved .... cheers ...
I've noticed the JT is chasing the puck and not anticipating where his team mates are going to go. He is either trying to hard to get himself going or he is trying too hard because he doesnt trust anyone.
Either way, he needs to loosen up because it isnt from lack of trying.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My guess is sooner than later Keefe’s is going to get tired of the WN show, and changes will be made?

Reactions: ToneDog

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Honestly Tavares has been the issue. Game in game out Willy is creating turnovers, working hard to keep the puck, making plays and making things happen and the play dies once it gets to either of his linemates' sticks. I honestly don't understand the level of hate this guy gets. Sure he can float around from time to time but it's nowhere near as common as people make it seem.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Had a sneaking suspicion it was Tavares who was the problem.

Reactions: zeke

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
maybe time to shake up the lines for a few games to re-engerize guys. If Marner gets Tavares going and Matthews stays hot with Willy then your back to 2 lines rolling.

Jumbo - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Mike - Engvall - Hyman

Reactions: saffronleaf

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gritty power forward goal followed by the super sweet sexy.

What a beaut this kid is.

20210224_214011.jpg

Attachments

• 20210224_214011.jpg
    20210224_214011.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Honestly Tavares has been the issue. Game in game out Willy is creating turnovers, working hard to keep the puck, making plays and making things happen and the play dies once it gets to either of his linemates' sticks. I honestly don't understand the level of hate this guy gets. Sure he can float around from time to time but it's nowhere near as common as people make it seem.

Even when he's coasting, he's in the right spot 99% of the time. I get the feeling people would rather have a guy who's giving 100% effort all shift but never where he needs to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad