William Nylander Discussion Thread

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Its amazing what a few less secondary assists will do to a players perception.

If the Tavares/Nylander line had a 2nd winger who would be able to bang jn a couple pucks every once and a while with some consistency, I suspect the narrative surrounding Nylander (and Tavares for that matter) would be pretty different

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's funny that the same media constantly ranting about the Leafs needing to trade Nylander also believe he won't get what the Leafs want in a trade. Dreger was peddling that again this morning.

This has been so stupid to see today.

The Leafs, who are sitting comfortably at 1st place in the division, and have been playing overall much better defensively than they have in years, should apparently trade a guy on pace for first line level production for "reasons" in order to get a mystery box.

I cant even begin to understand.....

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's funny that the same media constantly ranting about the Leafs needing to trade Nylander also believe he won't get what the Leafs want in a trade. Dreger was peddling that again this morning.

Yeah heard that from Dregs this morning. Pretty much agree though. I would move him to a team that needs a #1/#2 elite forward and who's GM melts at the though of Willie and will overpay.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

This is a good point. Marner has been a lot more consistent this season, but the funny thing is Marner's struggles were a lot worse then Nylander's are right now. The difference is Marner was given every kind of excuse, while Nylander gets brought down for every mistake. Marner's effort level was attrocius.

Point is, there is a bias in which these players are viewed. Nylander much like Marner will bounce back.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Willy skates round in circles

I've got a Leaf , he ain't got no get up
I'ma gonna sing it to my friends
I've got a Leaf he ain't got no get up
I'ma gonna sing it to my friends
Willy skates round in circles?
Willy please skate hard like a Hyman on the ice
Willy please skate hard like a Marner on the ice ?
I've got a teammate , ain't got no mojo
Lets his check go most of the time
I've got a teammate ain't got no mojo
Lets his check go most of the time
Willy floats by like a Laine on the ice ?
Willy floats by like a Laine on the ice ?
I've got a winger , He ain't got no hunger
I'm not gonna let his play move up and down the ice
I've got a winger , He ain't got no hunger
I'm not gonna let his play move up and down the ice
Willy does a fly by like a Berezin on the ice
Willy does a fly by like a Berezin on the ice ?
Well
Well
Well
Well
Willy stick checks like a Vesey on the ice ?
Willy skates round circles?
Willy stick checks like a Vesey on the ice ?
I've got a teammate , He ain't got grapefruits
He’s gonna bench him says our coach
I've got a teammate , He ain't got no consistency
He’s gonna sit him says our coach
Willy looks high like a bird up in the sky?
Willy looks high like a bird up in the sky?
Willy skates round in circles
Willy plays soft like a Bobby Ryan on the ice ?
Willy plays nonchalant like a Bobby Ryan on the ice ? Woo...wooo wooo
Let’s go Willy
Go Leafs Go !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: moon111

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

This is a good point. Marner has been a lot more consistent this season, but the funny thing is Marner's struggles were a lot worse then Nylander's are right now. The difference is Marner was given every kind of excuse, while Nylander gets brought down for every mistake. Marner's effort level was attrocius.

Point is, there is a bias in which these players are viewed. Nylander much like Marner will bounce back.

I don’t think this place had any shortage of Marner bashing when he was struggling though. The difference between him and Nylander is Marner would collect points even when not having a great impact on the game and making funky junior quality decisions with the puck. I’m personally willing to be more patient waiting for Nylander to snap out of it right now because he’s not playing like an $11 million player, but also not paid to be an $11 million player, and because the Leafs are winning. Also, as disengaged as Nylander has been, I find he’s still the second biggest problem on that line.

Let’s see how it goes. At some point if Nylander doesn’t prove himself and play a big role in the teams success I can see our Big 4 separated into a Top 2 and a Medium 2.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Its amazing what a few less secondary assists will do to a players perception.

If the Tavares/Nylander line had a 2nd winger who would be able to bang jn a couple pucks every once and a while with some consistency, I suspect the narrative surrounding Nylander (and Tavares for that matter) would be pretty different

gotta email keefe and showcase your displeasure for keefe benching nylander in a game against the habs.

clearly keefe needs to up is coaching/60

:sarcasm:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don’t think this place had any shortage of Marner bashing when he was struggling though. The difference between him and Nylander is Marner would collect points even when not having a great impact on the game and making funky junior quality decisions with the puck. I’m personally willing to be more patient waiting for Nylander to snap out of it right now because he’s not playing like an $11 million player, but also not paid to be an $11 million player, and because the Leafs are winning. Also, as disengaged as Nylander has been, I find he’s still the second biggest problem on that line.

Let’s see how it goes. At some point if Nylander doesn’t prove himself and play a big role in the teams success I can see our Big 4 separated into a Top 2 and a Medium 2.

Marner's cap hit is 10.9 and Willy's cap hit is 6.9; I dont expect Willy to produce at Marner's pace. As long as Willy is putting up 60+ pts and not a defensive liability on ice I think he is getting the job done in the regular season.

Also I think Marner can adapt to JT's skating pace and style; Nylander plays fast and cannot slow the pace down to play at JT's level so both are struggling IMO; difference being JT can still play the boards and make plays and get points; Nylander finds it hard to get 2nd assists because he still doesnt have the ability to win the board battles and misses on primary assists because JT is always covered or cant skate fast enough to get open for Willy to make plays by the time Willy has opposition player on him

Reactions: Confucius

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Marner has never been unproductive except for the time he had mono.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner has never been unproductive except for the time he had mono.

Man Berkshire is a complete moron when he says Nylander is no less consistant than Marner. I guess he must be analyzing spreasheets instead of actually watching the fricken games. A complete buffoon or another member of the William Nylander fan club or both.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I've been patient with Willy and a supporter of his through all the negativity people threw his way but his effort level is a joke right now. He wants everything to be easy and doesn't want to do the things that made him successful last season. I don't think trading high end talent guys with untapped potential is ever a good idea but I'm starting to feel he's never going to put it together and we should trade him if the right deal comes along.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I've been patient with Willy and a supporter of his through all the negativity people threw his way but his effort level is a joke right now. He wants everything to be easy and doesn't want to do the things that made him successful last season. I don't think trading high end talent guys with untapped potential is ever a good idea but I'm starting to feel he's never going to put it together and we should trade him if the right deal comes along.

He actually used to be a pretty good takeaway artist in the past.

Now he loses the puck and goes for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->