Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Points aren’t everything my dude. I would abso-*******-lutely take Josh Anderson on this team over Nylander right now because Josh Anderson is what the Leafs roster needs.

Would I prefer to subtract Marner from this roster to acquire a Josh Anderson-type, instead of Nylander—of course. But at the end of the day I ain’t married to either one of these two players.

The team isn't losing because Nylander isn't hitting....

It's because Matthews and Marner aren't scoring. Anderson is half as impactful as Nylander is, you're getting too caught up in player archetypes. You're not winning games unless your best players produce well offensively. Nylander is doing that, but the rest of the core forwards aren't following his lead

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Points aren’t everything my dude. I would abso-*******-lutely take Josh Anderson on this team over Nylander right now because Josh Anderson is what the Leafs roster needs.

Would I prefer to subtract Marner from this roster to acquire a Josh Anderson-type, instead of Nylander—of course. But at the end of the day I ain’t married to either one of these two players.

Well this is the dumbest take I’ve seen in a longggggg time.

Anderson has been a complete ghost since game 1. What value does he bring lmao

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The team isn't losing because Nylander isn't hitting....

It's because Matthews and Marner aren't scoring. Anderson is half as impactful as Nylander is, you're getting too caught up in player archetypes. You're not winning games unless your best players produce well offensively. Nylander is doing that, but the rest of the core forwards aren't following his lead

Of course the results would not be any different had Nylander thrown a few extra hits on his own. My gripe is not with Nylander, it’s with the way the entire roster has been constructed. This just happens to be a Nylander thread and he’s part of the (soft) core.

What I’m advocating for is something most fans would agree with, revamping the core—I just don’t care whether that means Nylander or Marner is on the chopping block. One playoff series isn’t going to win me over. I’d argue Marner was our best forward in 2018 when we got bounced by the Bruins in 7 and look where we are with him today. At the end of the day the Leafs core is too soft— that includes William Nylander. Fix it. Add size, speed, skill and a roster willing to go toe-to-toe with an opponent. The Leafs need to be physically relentless if they want to be successful in the playoffs.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The thing about Nylander is that he's only useful when they have him playing in a favourable matchup.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Of course the results would not be any different had Nylander thrown a few extra hits on his own. My gripe is not with Nylander, it’s with the way the entire roster has been constructed. This just happens to be a Nylander thread and he’s part of the (soft) core.

What I’m advocating for is something most fans would agree with, revamping the core—I just don’t care whether that means Nylander or Marner is on the chopping block. One playoff series isn’t going to win me over. I’d argue Marner was our best forward in 2018 when we got bounced by the Bruins in 7 and look where we are with him today. At the end of the day the Leafs core is too soft— that includes William Nylander. Fix it. Add size, speed, skill and a roster willing to go toe-to-toe with an opponent. The Leafs need to be physically relentless if they want to be successful in the playoffs.

There’s so much wrong with this post but I’m going to focus on the bolded.

Explain how removing Nylander will add speed and skill to our lineup? How does removing the fastest Leaf add speed?

This would be like a team looking to add size and their first move is to trade Chara.

Skill? Outside of Matthews, name a Leaf more skilled than Nylander?

Completely ludicrous takes. I hate how these “fans” always come out the moment we lose.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

yes nylander is soft- so soft he only has 7 pts in 6 games. Get a grip. If the other soft core had the same amout of points this would have been wrapped up. Your view is bad and you should feel bad specifically to william. You can't have everyone hitting with no skill and speed.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
It means that Nylander is also missing an element to his game that the entire roster is sorely missing—physicality.

Nylander has been buzzing and creating chances, no doubt, but he’s still a perimeter player that shies away from contact.

So long as the Leafs roster is built on speed and skill, they’ll continue to underwhelm when the games start to mean something. In the playoffs, when both teams are givin’ ‘er, it’s the physical aspect that separates winners from losers. Physicality creates turnovers, gives your team a spark, causes your opponent to play apprehensively—that’s the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs.

Despite Nylander’s success threading the twine this post-season, he’s still no different than Marner in the sense that they’re not going to physically impose themselves on their opponents and that’s what the Leafs need. A guy like Simmonds doesn’t cut it when the skill component is lacking.

Some smaller skilled players manage to lower their center of gravity and play more truculent in the playoffs, neither Nylander nor Marner are capable of that and that is why the Leafs fortunes in the playoffs are what they have been. I’m not going to make excuses for any one player because I don’t care for them—it’s the roster as a whole that needs fixing and Nylander, unfortunately, doesn’t bring anything to the table that the Leafs roster as a whole doesn’t already have plenty of.

you write so much for being so wrong.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
The thing about Nylander is that he's only useful when they have him playing in a favourable matchup.
Nylander is a steal compared to Tavares who is a minus player in the playoffs, not to mention Marner and Matthews, all are regular season players, nothing in the playoffs, but the 3 of them are among the highest paid in the entire league.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Wow this is an absolute dog's breakfast of a post. Unreal that Nylander is the guy you're going after still.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

More physical probably. But the Avs who hqvn't lost a game have been the least physical team in the playoffs.

The difference is their stars all are scoring.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Keefer I hope you listen here .. I know you read this and you know who I am .. play Willy 30 minutes tonite .. double shift him constantly .. he and Kerfoot are our best 2 forwards and they need to go every 2nd shift all night long .. put Mitch down to 3rd or 4th line and give him a chance against weaker players as it is da only chance he will help us tonite .. save your buddy Dubie's job .. you know you will go down if he goes down .. dude it is self preservation in hockey as we both know

ECYCLE

Dec 19, 2011

All the guy wants is to win

Watching Nylander trying to calm Marner down in the penalty box said a lot of good things about him. Nylander continuing to show more of this. Maybe strip the A from Marner and give it to Nylander?

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I clicked on this thread expecting some Nylander haters to still criticize him despite being our best player of the series. They're too predictable.

Nylander has been buzzing all series. A point in every game except for game 6, but he was the one who forced the turnover with a good forecheck on the Spezza goal.

Not only the points, but he is winning puck battles and his sneaky stick lifts have caused a lot of turnovers for the Habs.

Lmao at the Josh Anderson take. He was a force in game 1 and then vanished. "Oh but...but he is hitting everyone!! Grit!!" It's because he rarely has the puck.

Last edited:

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Sometimes I feel we don't deserve success if fans are still bashing the single most dangerous player for both teams this series. Grow up. Nylander did everything he could and then more. It's just asinine to think he would be a better player if he decides to hit more. Oh, btw, Leafs have acquired players who are supposed to bring truculence and all that. So this is precisely why Willie can now focus on scoring and playing his best hockey.

I swear, we would have run Gretzky out of town as he never hit and was not physical...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad