Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
At this point it’s clear this team isn’t winning without game 1-5 Nylander.

Keefe needs to continue what was working and not just give in to the media/fans. Keep Nylander’s shifts short and his minutes low so he can play at the high pace he has so far and not like Marner.

That was a bit of a dialed down first period. Fuk the fans and politics just keep doing what’s working. His minutes are going fine. Maybe let’s not force him minutes just to answer Simmons questions post game.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I pray Willy can come clutch again, because as of now, he seems to be our last hope from the big players.
If we win it’ll have to be:
A) Campbell has a great game
B) Rielly is Fantastic like tonight, but his teammates decide to score on Monday
C) Nylander scores again
The other 2 are struggling way too much in this series to be relied upon, the nylander line is our only consistent way of hoping for a win offensively. Spezza line barely touches the ice. 3rd line doesn’t know what putting the puck in the net even is.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He’s been a beast all series. He’s a bit older than Mitch and Auston, so maybe it’s clicked for him now while the latter two are still immature. In any case, I think he’s given us a big reason as to why he should stick around going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: MustySeason34

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He’s been a beast all series. He’s a bit older than Mitch and Auston, so maybe it’s finally clicked for him. In any case, I think he’s given us a big reason as to why he should stick around going forward.
Nylander is more of a leader then Marner is. If Dubas or the new GM trades Nylander over Marner, it will show how pathetic this organization is.

Reactions: ER89 and freshwind

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Personally, I don’t think much of the praise Nylander’s received lately is warranted.

Sure, he’s put the puck in the back of the net a few times this series but his overall play still leaves alot to be desired.

I think both he and Marner are a major factor behind the Leafs’ playoff woes—they’re both as soft as melting butter. The difference is one gets paid nearly $7 and the other nearly $11 million.

This fanbase needs to stop making excuses/pumping the tires of either one of these guys.

Ship Marner out to send a message to his buddy-buddy Matthews because this ain’t a fraternity. Nylander’s leash shouldn’t be very long thereafter.

Also, after being a Rielly apologist for several years, I am a-ok with him walking after next season. No stress.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Personally, I don’t think much of the praise Nylander’s received lately is warranted.

Sure, he’s put the puck in the back of the net a few times this series but his overall play still leaves alot to be desired.

I think both he and Marner are a major factor behind the Leafs’ playoff woes—they’re both as soft as melting butter. The difference is one gets paid nearly $7 and the other nearly $11 million.

This fanbase needs to stop making excuses/pumping the tires of either one of these guys.

Ship Marner out to send a message to his buddy-buddy Matthews because this ain’t a fraternity. Nylander’s leash shouldn’t be very long thereafter.

Also, after being a Rielly apologist for several years, I am a-ok with him walking after next season. No stress.

What does this even mean though? The guys got 4 goals and 7 points in 6 games and is the only forward consistently creating plays and chances. There's only so much one player can do.

The past criticism if Nylander is that he needed to be more engaged (and produce) in the playoffs and it looks like he's learned from his past experiences and developed his game accordingly.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010

Are you even watching the series?
From everything to advance stats, production, and eye test Willy is the best player on the ice for both teams.

Please stop drinking that Hatorade… at least this is not the time to be doing it as the boy has stepped up. Cant say the same about Matthews and Marner.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What does this even mean though? The guys got 4 goals and 7 points in 6 games and is the only forward consistently creating plays and chances. There's only so much one player can do.

The past criticism if Nylander is that he needed to be more engaged (and produce) in the playoffs and it looks like he's learned from his past experiences and developed his game accordingly.

From what I’ve seen, this has been the normal Nylander plus 1 good hit in game one. He still avoids contact. He still avoids the danger areas. He still circles and curls and circles and curls and circles and curls. Yes, he has controlled the puck well, but he rarely takes it into good scoring areas. The biggest difference is that he’s scored on a couple of low danger chances.

He looks good compared to Marner, but I don’t see a brand new Nylander. He’s been good, but he’s been the same good he always was.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
From what I’ve seen, this has been the normal Nylander plus 1 good hit in game one. He still avoids contact. He still avoids the danger areas. He still circles and curls and circles and curls and circles and curls. Yes, he has controlled the puck well, but he rarely takes it into good scoring areas. The biggest difference is that he’s scored on a couple of low danger chances.

He looks good compared to Marner, but I don’t see a brand new Nylander. He’s been good, but he’s been the same good he always was.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that at all. He's taken the puck to the net several times this series. And it's not like he's just peppering the net from shots above the hash marks either.

His role on the second line is to help drive team offense - which is exactly what he's doing. Having him grind out some extra hits in the corners wouldn't have changed the outcome of the series so far.

If 4 goals and 7 points in 6 playoffs games can't satisfy some folks, nothing a player can do will change their mind imo

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm not sure I'd agree with that at all. He's taken the puck to the net several times this series. And it's not like he's just peppering the net from shots above the hash marks either.

His role on the second line is to help drive team offense - which is exactly what he's doing. Having him grind out some extra hits in the corners wouldn't have changed the outcome of the series so far.

If 4 goals and 7 points in 6 playoffs games can't satisfy some folks, nothing a player can do will change their mind imo

Yes, he’s gone to the net a couple times. He has always done that on an infrequent basis.

He hasn’t been bad, but I just lay don’t see this different player some posters here do.

I don’t want him to hit. I want him to take the puck into danger areas. I want him to win battles.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Are you watching even watching the series?
From everything to advance stats, production, and eye test Willy is the best player on the ice for both teams.

Please stop drinking that Hatorade… at least this is not the time to be doing it as the boy has stepped up. Cant say the same about Matthews and Marner.

At this point, it's just biases against the player.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

It means that Nylander is also missing an element to his game that the entire roster is sorely missing—physicality.

Nylander has been buzzing and creating chances, no doubt, but he’s still a perimeter player that shies away from contact.

So long as the Leafs roster is built on speed and skill, they’ll continue to underwhelm when the games start to mean something. In the playoffs, when both teams are givin’ ‘er, it’s the physical aspect that separates winners from losers. Physicality creates turnovers, gives your team a spark, causes your opponent to play apprehensively—that’s the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs.

Despite Nylander’s success threading the twine this post-season, he’s still no different than Marner in the sense that they’re not going to physically impose themselves on their opponents and that’s what the Leafs need. A guy like Simmonds doesn’t cut it when the skill component is lacking.

Some smaller skilled players manage to lower their center of gravity and play more truculent in the playoffs, neither Nylander nor Marner are capable of that and that is why the Leafs fortunes in the playoffs are what they have been. I’m not going to make excuses for any one player because I don’t care for them—it’s the roster as a whole that needs fixing and Nylander, unfortunately, doesn’t bring anything to the table that the Leafs roster as a whole doesn’t already have plenty of.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's the one guy of the core in this series that has not only met expectations, but exceeded them and there's still twats going on about his alleged lack of physicality and softness :laugh:

Nylander is not the problem with this team right now. Complete opposite. In fact, if you're looking for the problem with this team - look as far away from Nylander as possible.

Marner is actually the guy that the Nylander haters have said Nylander is for years.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
It means that Nylander is also missing an element to his game that the entire roster is sorely missing—physicality.

Nylander has been buzzing and creating chances, no doubt, but he’s still a perimeter player that shies away from contact.

So long as the Leafs roster is built on speed and skill, they’ll continue to underwhelm when the games start to mean something. In the playoffs, when both teams are givin’ ‘er, it’s the physical aspect that separates winners from losers. Physicality creates turnovers, gives your team a spark, causes your opponent to play apprehensively—that’s the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs.

Despite Nylander’s success threading the twine this post-season, he’s still no different than Marner in the sense that they’re not going to physically impose themselves on their opponents and that’s what the Leafs need. A guy like Simmonds doesn’t cut it when the skill component is lacking.

Some smaller skilled players manage to lower their center of gravity and play more truculent in the playoffs, neither Nylander nor Marner are capable of that and that is why the Leafs fortunes in the playoffs are what they have been. I’m not going to make excuses for any one player because I don’t care for them—it’s the roster as a whole that needs fixing and Nylander, unfortunately, doesn’t bring anything to the table that the Leafs roster as a whole doesn’t already have plenty of.
Who cares if he hits or not. Hits aren’t always correlated to playoff success. Vancouver made it to the 2nd round last year, and they previosuly have made it to the finals with the soft ass Sedins as their stars. 7 in 6 is around a 95 point player, he’s been buzzing creating chances and doing what the other 2 should be doing and then some.
And just cuz he doesn’t give a hit doesn’t make him a perimeter player, 3 of his 4 goals have come from in front of the net, around the habs big crosscheck loving defensemen. He’s been more then fine, if I am any other team, he’s the guy I ask for, not Marner. He is fair value and has started to show that he is worth his value in the playoffs as well

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The fact that Nylander hasn't thrown a couple extra hits this series is absolutely not the reason why the Leafs have lost those three games. As you said, the point of that "truculence" is to help the team control play and generate chances - and Nylander has been doing exactly that in his own way. He's literally one of the most offensively dominant players of the entire playoffs so far.

Ironically the type of qualities you're describing fit closely to someone like Josh Anderson whose been a complete non-factor for the Habs with just a single point in 6 games.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Pretty much echoes my thoughts.

Nylander is a good player and has been a positive contributor thus far. My concern is not with Nylander but with the way the roster has been constructed—soft and skilled. The Leafs need more size and need to impose themselves on their opponent more. That’s how playoff series are won, because there is no real estate available for the skilled players to work their magic during the playoffs. You wear your opponent down and create turnovers that lead to goals, because if you don’t your opponent will. To that end, I could not care less where Nylander or Marner play next year.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The fact that Nylander hasn't thrown a couple extra hits this series is absolutely not the reason why the Leafs have lost those three games. As you said, the point of that "truculence" is to help the team control play and generate chances - and Nylander has been doing exactly that in his own way. He's literally one of the most offensively dominant players of the entire playoffs so far.

Ironically the type of qualities you're describing fit closely to someone like Josh Anderson whose been a complete non-factor for the Habs with just a single point in 6 games.

Points aren’t everything my dude. I would abso-*******-lutely take Josh Anderson on this team over Nylander right now because Josh Anderson is what the Leafs roster needs.

Would I prefer to subtract Marner from this roster to acquire a Josh Anderson-type, instead of Nylander—of course. But at the end of the day I ain’t married to either one of these two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad