Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No more Big Willy, his game has grown, prefers you call him William
Always has, LOL. I remember during his contract dispute a poster who rarely posted before or after asked. Why do people call him Willy his name is William. I thought is this William's mom? I called him William for months after that. LOL!

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Always has, LOL. I remember during his contract dispute a poster who rarely posted before or after asked. Why do people call him Willy his name is William. I thought is this William's mom? I called him William for months after that. LOL!

LOL. I have no idea. Was just referencing an old Jay-Z song :)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's had an impressive year and very impressive playoff performance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Way to play Willy .. you can do more .. don't back away from Habs D men on hits and you will elevate to star status .. trust me it will work out better holding puck longer and making another play .. da big guy

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most impact he's had in a playoff series to date and that's without Tavares centring his line.

I had this same thought last night - he's doing this without Tavares. Impressive!

I said after game one that if this is playoff Willie going forward, that's huge for us. Now he's kept it up for two more games which really bodes well for the future.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I had this same thought last night - he's doing this without Tavares. Impressive!

I said after game one that if this is playoff Willie going forward, that's huge for us. Now he's kept it up for two more games which really bodes well for the future.

I mean the Habs aren't that good but they are physical and Nylander isn't shying away from those battles. And his hard work is paying off as he's creating space and using his speed to generate chances.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I mean the Habs aren't that good but they are physical and Nylander isn't shying away from those battles. And his hard work is paying off as he's creating space and using his speed to generate chances.
i'm usually a Nylander fan, but, he is shying away from contact moreso than in the regular season. He did throw 1 check, but, has turned away from the puck more times than I like seeing to 'avoid' contact. though, i dont like that happening even once.
Personally, i'd be telling players to finish every check, and throw checks on the PK too. Players just feel like if they dangle on the PP they will never get touched, and they should be scared to hang onto the puck for more than a second or 2

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
i'm usually a Nylander fan, but, he is shying away from contact moreso than in the regular season. He did throw 1 check, but, has turned away from the puck more times than I like seeing to 'avoid' contact. though, i dont like that happening even once.
Personally, i'd be telling players to finish every check, and throw checks on the PK too. Players just feel like if they dangle on the PP they will never get touched, and they should be scared to hang onto the puck for more than a second or 2

This is not even close to true

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls

Nylander has literally been battling in cycles, retrieving pucks, stick checking, hitting and forechecking all series. These aren't the late "puck is already gone but I'm gonna hit you as you brace for it" hits that Montreal is doing which are essentially useless. He is engaging when the Montreal player has the puck to disrupt their possession.

He is never going to Hyman it out there, but a reason why the 2nd line has been good is they have been engaged and keeping possession and disrupting possession which him, Foligno, Kerfoot and Galch have all participated in.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
He’s playing well and if I’m the coach I’m showing him game 2/1 footage. I think those were his best games. Let’s hope he keeps hitting skating and playing hard as hell

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think Willie likes the responsibility and to be 'the man'. It massages his ego.

Yeah, he's not Auston Matthews. But he likes to have the puck and be the one who is trusted. I think that's why we're seeing the elevation in his game without JT around.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Happy to see him silence the doubters.

He is doing a good job battling for pucks but continues to shy away from being the first guy to the puck. Think he makes up for it with his takeaways though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad