Will you be Mad at Hamhuis if He doesnt waive his NTC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Nope, he has every right to decline to waive. Will just be disappointed, but that's nothing new as a Canuck's fan. Trying to remember back to the last time we had a legitimate asset to trade without some sort of condition attached.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The things that would attract UFAs supersede the GM 'kinda being a dick'. The city, cash, competitiveness, ice-time, team-mates... all more important than a GM just looking out for the team's best interests.

Also not to mention. He's already waived two vets after publicly shopping them and in place of fledgling NHLers. Not sure he really has a reputation to ruin here.

But at least he traded them to NHL teams. Waiving a respected vet out of spite is a whole new level of low. No sane GM would do it, or even Benning.

Last edited:

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
I think the ship has sailed now, the last realistic possibility is Dallas. But that's about it. I'm already prepared for Hammer still being in a Canucks uniform come March 1st.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Either he doesn't re-sign with the Nucks, and then he's costed himself a chance at a cup run, and we get no return. Or he does re-sign with us, in which case it's like a cup run vacation. He should waive regardless of the plans from either side. I think any player would kick themselves later for not. Big problem with the team has been players getting to comfortable here and unwilling to move or win.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think the ship has sailed now, the last realistic possibility is Dallas. But that's about it. I'm already prepared for Hammer still being in a Canucks uniform come March 1st.
Still 4 days. Don't panic yet. Dallas might well come on desperate to complete with the arms race Chicago is starting.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Um.. no? It was a clause he negotiated in his contract, fair and square. His family is from BC and he wanted the added security of long-term stability so he could raise his kids in the province he grew up in. Posters who think it's a foregone conclusion he was going to be traded were being foolish anyway.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn't be mad. I think the situation is different from the Toronto situation where it seems players were being "forced out" by fans, and management didn't come to their defence. Here, because Gillis had this rule that he will never ask a player to waive their NTCs, it's more or less a bonus when Benning manages to trade a Bieksa for something. Plus, all the reports seem to suggest that Benning is placing zero pressure on Hamhuis.

I hope we get something for Hamhuis. I'm still indifferent over whether to re-sign Hamhuis or let him go. Certainly, I would like the Canucks to get something for him.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Um.. no? It was a clause he negotiated in his contract, fair and square. His family is from BC and he wanted the added security of long-term stability so he could raise his kids in the province he grew up in. Posters who think it's a foregone conclusion he was going to be traded were being foolish anyway.

True enough. But if he assumes he can decline to waive now thinks Benning is obligated to sign him this summer so his family and kids can stay in BC he might be well be packing soon enough. If he doesn't waive I would only offer Hamhuis the opportunity to stay and live in BC on a very team friendly deal and not tons of term either.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
If it was me, I would not trade and leave my family, and I would not shift my family for a short time... Also thinking about helping the Canucks get into a better position by waiving the re signing I would also have to consider the return... I would think about that deal if the return was somehow a High first... But some late first or a prospect and a second is not going to give the Canucks the kickstart to justify the time away from kids

And just a note on people saying they should threaten to waive him ang he would risk being picked up by a crappy team.. That would not really happen since the teams out of the playoffs are not going to pick up a player that might win them games. And im guessing most teams would nit want to involve themselves in that kind of classless situation...

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
I think if we had a deal with a real contender, he would go. If his intention is to finish his career in Vancouver this may be his only chance to get a ring. I know he loves his family, but a couple months away to try and win a cup would probably be too much for him to resist.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Didnt think id be this upset but kinda frustated with hammer now esp cause he says he loves the Canucks so much wouldnt he wanna make us better for the future? Kinda selfish guy it seems :(

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Didnt think id be this upset but kinda frustated with hammer now esp cause he says he loves the Canucks so much wouldnt he wanna make us better for the future? Kinda selfish guy it seems :(

He had a pretty serious injury this year and maybe he is not up for the challenge of a long gruelling playoff run? He is 34 now so who knows. I know if I had an injury that serious I would not be looking forward to a long playoff grind. Who knows maybe he still gets traded we'll see all we can do is wait and see. Either way you can't blame the players for using their NMC and NTC's

randia*

this is why he signed here, fans have no right to question him not waiving. he gave up alot of money for this.

this is what the canucks signed for when he came here

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I won't be mad, I bought a Hamhuis shirt when he signed here.

It's all on him, if he decides to the man so be it. Guys been a soldier for the Canucks for years..one of my favs even though at time he pisses me off lol

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

After any trade, his responsibility would be to make the team he plays for better. The Canucks would be just another team that he doesn't play for.

randia*

this is insulting, hamhuis has been a warrior here how selfish can any fan be

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
As someone who is a similar age to Hamhuis, I completely understand his reluctance. I'm in a kind of similar situation to what we're asking Hamhuis to do, and it sucks.

He's probably also worried about Bennings sanity. Would he get a contract in the summer if he leaves?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Hamhuis owes the Canucks nothing. He took a hometown discount to play here and was given a NMC as part of his contract. He has every right not to waive especially if he's got a family/young kids.

"selfish" is not the correct word here :laugh:

I sometimes laugh but other times scowl at how people expect loyalty from players but none from the team.

Garrison was on a no-trade and some have posted that they're pleased Benning managed to move him. It was the same with Bieksa.

Now there are people saying they won't be mad at Hamhuis for refusing to waive if he signs an extension with the Canucks but they will be if he doesn't. Not only does he have the right to decide, but since the Canucks could have offered him an extension and instead went public last fall but instead chose to go public that they would wait and see, why should he feel any obligation?

It would be selfish and petty to be mad at him for exercising the contract he negotiated. No, I won't be mad at him if he declines to waive his contractual rights.

Agreed 100%

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
same way i had no issue with kesler wanting to leave, i have no issue with hamhuis wanting to stay

he has a contract with specific clauses for a reason - they wanted to limit a team's flexibility and be able to have partial control on where they work.

AlexandreBurrows

Mar 17, 2009
Vancouver
Nope, but I think he should. Just think of it as a 3 month vacation. Reallyh you are on the road half the time as a caunck anyways. Soits really only missing your family for 6 weeks. Go to LA, they will probably be out 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad