Will You Be Glad To See Marleau Surpass Howe In GP?

Will you be glad to see Marleau surpass Howe in GP?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes.

It's not Marleau's fault that Howe played in an era with less games played per season, or that he's not as good a player as Howe was.

Records are meant to be broken. It's an absolute amazing feat that Marleau will be able to hold this record, and we should be happy/excited for him. Anything else seems petty

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Couldn’t care less. Games played says more about health and commitment than it does skill or all-time ranking.

Good for Patty, even as a Pens fan who saw how much of a ghost his current form is.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
You probably won't find a bigger fan of Gordie Howe on HFBoards (at least outside of the History forum). And I still voted "Yes". Two reasons:

First - I think that, if Howe was still alive, he'd be cheering Marleau on. We know that Howe was very supportive of Gretzky leading up to #99 surpassing him to become the NHL's all-time leading scorer. Howe actually spent several games travelling with the Kings, so that he could witness the event first-hand. In an interview before one of the final games, Howe said "I'm excited for him" and "I'm extremely proud", even comparing the pride that he felt to what Walter Gretzky must be feeling. If he can support Gretzky taking a far more significant record, why wouldn't he support Marleau taking a relatively minor one?

Second - I think it might help change the "narrative" about Howe's career. Many people seem to be under the impression that Howe was pretty good for a really long time. Someone else holding the all-time games played record might allow people to focus on some of the things that Howe accomplished that are way more impressive (six Hart trophies, six Art Ross trophies, six playoff scoring titles, five goal-scoring crowns, setting the single-season record for points in a playoff run, having four of the top five highest scoring seasons in NHL history at one point, etc).

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
indifferent be he deserves it.... records are meant to be broken, and Marleau didnt get it due to special treatment or anything

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The poll doesn’t really reflect the mindset around the forums lately on this topic, but some need to take a page out of Howe’s book who was very supportive of players breaking his records.

It’s also interesting that some of these same detractors will swear up and down that the NHL is a more advanced league than ever before and that it’s more impressive to be a player now than in the past, but this same mindset won’t carry over to Marleau.

The idea of him breaking it never bothered me. It’s not a record I ever really gave much thought to before and it takes nothing away from Howe to relinquish it. I actually think the people clinging to it kicking and screaming don’t even understand what made Howe great to begin with.

Can’t throw shade at a player who continues living his dream and anyone shouting for him to get out probably lacks passion for anything in life.

Edit: Awesome post Hockey Outsider. Much better stated.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes. Will be great to not have to see all this stuff about Howe and longevity.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I would be indifferent if I wasn’t a Leafs fan. Watching him play in his second season it was quite obvious he was entirely cooked and was prime for retirement. To think he is still around two years later at an even worse level really amazes me.
As a comparison Joe Thornton, who is beyond words bad, is out scoring Marleau. Thornton is playing for a chance at the cup, it seems to validate his non retirement a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm indifferent. It's one of those records that's impressive due to a player's longevity and durability, not necessarily due to his skill level or production.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It is an amazing accomplishment, so yes, I am glad to witness it. I didn't get to see Howe break the old record.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Not really. I like Marleau, but he’s been done as a player for a few years now and shouldn’t be in the league anymore.

Limping along when you shouldn’t be in the league and breaking a record isn’t something to be celebrated.

Yeah it’s not the biggest deal but let’s not act like what Marleau is doing is legitimate. If not for the record or iron man streak he’d have been scratched and subsequently retired by now.

Howe had 41 points in 80 games his final season. Marleau has a chance at not even hitting 10 points. They’re impacts are vastly different.

Reactions: Madap

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
7621479f2b28b7c628a5c26501996d5e.png

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I heard it argued about on the radio the other day, but definitely a Hall of Famer in my mind.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd read the headline on twitter and it might occupy my headspace for about ten seconds before I moved on with my day.

Indifferent wasn't good enough.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don’t know why but this thread made me think of Canadian classic Letterkenny.

At 2:49 mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad