will we win round 1 do you guys think

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Re: Boston. Last year, the Leafs could not have had a worse first 2 games if HFBruins wrote the script. They lost Kadri, Andersen completely lost the plot early in the series, lost the only game when Bergeron was injured, they got zero production from Matthews or Nylander, and it still took a 3rd period game 7 collapse to lose. This year we've added Tavares who has arguably been our best player, we have a step from Marner, we have a step from Rielly, Muzzin's addition completely resets our D corps, Kap and AJ are better players. I genuinely think we can take them.
This is absolutely correct. The way people talk about Boston, it was like the Leafs were swept in 4. And people point to that series as proof positive this years team can't win.

Logic and reasoning are not strong suits on here.

Reactions: stickty111

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs are last in hits.

I the fist period of a 0-0 game last week there was a play that stood out to me as reason this team can’t or shouldn’t win if they continue the same in the playoffs.
The Leafs cleared the puck into the O zone and proceeded to change their lines, however Connor Brown decided he would pursue the puck, which is fine. He forced the D-man to skate behind the net (here is the bad part) Brown had the angle on the puck carrier and could have easily rubbed him before he got behind the net, however he thought it was best to try and stick check the guy, then Brown skates around the net and high tails it to the bench. That in itself isn’t too bad, although why chase the guy if your not trying force him or get the puck? Had he rubbed him out there was a real good opportunity to take the possession of the puck. Here is the kicker, as Brown was skating back to the bench the D man, that went unchecked, passed the puck past Brown to his player who entered the zone catching the Leafs a little flat footed , and within a few seconds of entering the zone, Hyman took a penalty. If that is against Boston in 0-0 game there is a 28% chance Boston is up 1-0.

That’s a small example and we see them in every game. He consumed energy to chase, he consumed energy to get back, but did nothing to prevent to D from making a play.

Reactions: dsred

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is absolutely correct. The way people talk about Boston, it was like the Leafs were swept in 4. And people point to that series as proof positive this years team can't win.

Logic and reasoning are not strong suits on here.
Only fans of losing teams sit around and talk about how they almost won the series.
Doubt Boston is saying, wow, the Leafs almost beat us.

Expectations this year are at least a 1st round victory (at minimum) to the Conference final.

Reactions: dsred and ACC1224

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Only fans of losing teams sit around and talk about how they almost won the series.
Doubt Boston is saying, wow, the Leafs almost beat us.

Expectations this year are at least a 1st round victory (at minimum) to the Conference final.
The Leafs are a better team this year, and they almost won. The Bruins are weaker. I'm not worried. I am expecting a run in the spring regardless.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Depends on who they play. When an opposition team has a plan of hard forechecking and stifling zone entry, I'm not sure the Leafs have an answer. If a team's plan is to bend not break, I think the Leafs find ways through that sort of defending eventually.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Will Matthews show up?
That's my question. A big one.
Problem is we have an a bunch of overpaid players that seemingly have no heart and float around till the kids learn to play with some passion we probably won’t win In the playoffs all you have to do is continuously hit Toronto’s players and it throws them off their game someone has to explain to these players that it’s hockey it’s not ballet

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
IMO, yes. Absolutely. We are a different team. Tavares and Muzzin added, along with our young core being a year older makes us a better team.
Our 3 Cs will be difficult to match-up with

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Mathews & Nylander showing up are my two biggest questions.

If they treat the playoffs like it's a pickup game again and are afraid of contact we're toast.

Well both sucked last year along with Andersen and we only lost 3rd period of game 7

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd like to think so. I hope that's the expectation. The opponent should be Boston or Montreal (would prefer the latter for the freshness of the matchup and historical reasons). The additions of Tavares and Muzzin give the forwards and D a different look. Still a long enough time to go until playoffs though. Even the trade deadline could bring some more change to a number of teams.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They can win but the veterans have to show up.

Unfortunately, 2 of the playoff vets are over 37.

Andersen and Muzzin are the only 2 veterans not past their primes who have had any success in the playoffs.

It would be nice to see another (or 2) winner(s) on the team, who still have some life in them.

I'm not confident this team can win the tough games.

Reactions: mikelb7 and coupe93

cmorly

Oct 14, 2010
Toronto, Ont
This is a tough team to predict how they will do. Some games I think they can go all the way to the finals (recent win against Tampa), other games I'm surprised they're still in a playoff position.

So, to answer your question, I feel like this team doesn't have enough heart / guys that play the 'right way'. I think we can beat Montreal, but lose to Boston if we face them in the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikelb7

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
Team doesn't seem to be gelling. PP issues, effort doesn't seem to be there night in night out.. First round upset by the habs wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: mikelb7

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They switched JVR/Bozak for Tavares and a functioning 4th line.

And Polak with Muzzin.

I like the chances provided Matthews and Andersen are healthy.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Too early to predict but if playoffs started today and the team that plays well against better competition shows up, yes they can win a playoff series.

Hoping they get the Habs in round 1 and TB gets the Bruins or Pens.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well since we lost our last game, it's obvious we will lose in the first round. :sarcasm:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It's way too early to tell, assuming were healthy I don't see any reason we can't. We took Boston to 7 last year and then only got better. The young players matured more, we added Tavares and Muzzin and who knows what we do at the deadline.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hard to say at this stage. If Montreal then we get through round 1. If Boston then it is 50/50. If we slip and play Tampa then it is 50/50. If we slip and go to other division and play Isles then we get through round 1.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Realistically, if Andersen doesn’t completely **** the bed in the third last year, are we even still talking about this team being too soft? After we played Washington there wasn’t any talk of us losing that series because we were soft lol. I just find the fixating on the toughness part so weird. Boston didn’t even play us tough last year, Washington the year before was way more physical.

People tend to focus on a more intangible stat when they don't have much to say otherwise, it won't change their pessimistic tone.

Bottom line, this team should win against Boston or Montreal in the first round. We are better offensively then both teams, and are capable of being better defensively. Not saying the series cant be close, but the Leafs are clear cut favorites against both teams. People are severely underestimating how deep we are at center, and how big of a factor this is come playoff time.

Bruins are a 1 line hockey team. Not worried about them in the slightest this year.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Re: Boston. Last year, the Leafs could not have had a worse first 2 games if HFBruins wrote the script. They lost Kadri, Andersen completely lost the plot early in the series, lost the only game when Bergeron was injured, they got zero production from Matthews or Nylander, and it still took a 3rd period game 7 collapse to lose. This year we've added Tavares who has arguably been our best player, we have a step from Marner, we have a step from Rielly, Muzzin's addition completely resets our D corps, Kap and AJ are better players. I genuinely think we can take them.

I watched every minute of the Boston games this season.

They are in our heads. The Leafs look like zombies when they play them. No way we win with this attitude

Reactions: 7even

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think Boston is toast if we play them. Bring them on. That is a very flawed team.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I watched every minute of the Boston games this season.

They are in our heads. The Leafs look like zombies when they play them. No way we win with this attitude

Eh, we were 3-1 against them last year and looked real good in the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad