Speculation: Will we see Peluso on waivers?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I don't see the connection. Peluso specializes in fighting not in dirty hits. How often has Peluso been suspended? How often are any players suspended for fighting?

If the NHL provides an actual deterrent to dirty plays that guys like Torres commit, teams can leave the misguided belief, that guys like Peluso provide an on ice deterrent, where it belongs.....in the rear view mirror.

If no else is icing an enforcer because the NHL is providing an actual deterrent even guys that love enforcers like Burke aren't going to waste a roster spot on one.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the NHL provides and actual deterrent to dirty plays that guys like Torres commit, teams can leave the misguided belief, that guys like Peluso provide an on ice deterrent, where it belongs.....in the rear view mirror.

If no else is icing an enforcer because the NHL is providing an actual deterrent even guys that love enforcers like Burke aren't going to waste a roster spot on one.

Kind of indirect. There are fighters and there are thugs. The dedicated enforcers never did make sense so arguing that they will disappear because logic dictates it isn't necessarily a winning line. The trend seems to be away from the enforcers despite league discipline being pretty limp and inconsistent. I expect that trend to continue but I don't see this suspension affecting that one way or another.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Isn't it too late to waive Peluso? I thought waivers had to be announced this morning. What will happen if they do sign Raffl? Will they have to send him down to the Moose to start out and then waive Peluso after the season starts before calling Raffle up?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Isn't it too late to waive Peluso? I thought waivers had to be announced this morning. What will happen if they do sign Raffl? Will they have to send him down to the Moose to start out and then waive Peluso after the season starts before calling Raffle up?

Yup you got it. I'm pretty sure to meet the 23 man roster anyone needing waivers would've had to been placed today. They could always send down one of the other kids until Peluso clears, since our first game is Thursday not Wednesday.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
[/B]
Yup you got it. I'm pretty sure to meet the 23 man roster anyone needing waivers would've had to been placed today. They could always send down one of the other kids until Peluso clears, since our first game is Thursday not Wednesday.

I'm going to look this up. I'm pretty sure a player on waivers does not count towards roster limit. I can swear I've seen removals from IR and waived players on same day. I think it's just a standard procedure thing for the start of season. I think they can sign Raffl tomorrow, waive Peluso and re-assign him to Moose on Wednesday after he clears.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm going to look this up. I'm pretty sure a player on waivers does not count towards roster limit. I can swear I've seen removals from IR and waived players on same day. I think it's just a standard procedure thing for the start of season. I think they can sign Raffl tomorrow, waive Peluso and re-assign him to Moose on Wednesday after he clears.

I know I've seen something like that before, but why this talk on twitter from good sources that players had to be on waivers Monday morning?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Non-roster waivers are a thing (I can remember one instance last season), but I guess there's a special rule for the roster deadline, otherwise nobody would have been waived today, but tomorrow instead.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Short answer to your questions - yes.

I think Peluso could still be waived at any time. If he's claimed by another team it opens up a spot on the Jets roster.

However, it takes 24 hours to clear waivers and the Jets have to announce their 23-man roster sooner than that. So it seems clear that they'll keep Peluso on their initial 23-man roster.

Pardy and Postma would also need to clear waivers. Any of those three could still be traded, which could open up a roster spot for Raffl. Otherwise, the only place for Raffl at the beginning of the season is with the Moose, if he decides to sign with the Jets' organization.

Jets 2015-16 Roster (initial):

Forwards (13)

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers
Burmistrov-Lowry-Stafford
Petan-Copp-Thorburn
(Peluso)

Defensemen (8)

Enstrom-Myers
Stuart-Trouba
Chiarot-Byfuglien
(Pardy, Postma)

Goal (2)

Pavelec
Hutchinson

I would be a bit surprised if Pardy or Postma was traded, mainly because the Jets like to have a good stock of NHL-ready D and they have a bit of depth on the Moose in forwards to draw upon (Lipon, Armia). Also, if the Jets need to consider trading Buff this year, they would likely want to keep the extra D.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I found this:

(b) If, as a result of: (i) a Player ("Player A") returning to a Club's Active Roster from
Injured Reserve, or (ii) a Club acquiring a Player ("Player A") via a Trade or Waiver claim, the
Club would exceed its twenty-three (23) man Active Roster limit then, at the time the Player
("Player A") returns to the Club's Active Roster (in the case of (i)) or is added to the Club's
Active Roster (in the case of (ii)), the Club may request Waivers on a different Player ("Player
ARTICLE 16 16.13-16.13
B") and also the Club can simultaneously request Non-Roster status for such "Player B." Such
request shall be made in writing to Central Registry, with a copy to the NHLPA, all in
accordance with Exhibit 3. Upon approval of the Commissioner, such "Player B" will be
removed from the Club's Active Roster and the Club may replace such "Player B" with "Player
A" on its Active Roster pending the expiration of the Waiver period set forth in Section 13.18.
During the period of time "Player B" is granted Non-Roster status, both "Player A's" and "Player
B's" Player Salary and Bonuses are included in the Club's Actual and Averaged Club Salary and
the Players' Share for purposes of Article 50. At the conclusion of the Waiver period for such
"Player B," if he has not been claimed, the Club must immediately (i.e., that day) Loan "Player
B" to the Minors.

I don't think it would apply in this case, as Raffl is being signed not claimed, traded, or returned from IR. Essentially player B is placed in limbo. This is so a team with 23 non-exempt players can still make a waiver claim.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I know I've seen something like that before, but why this talk on twitter from good sources that players had to be on waivers Monday morning?

I think it's more of a standard procedure type thing. Just about declaring 23 man roster for the season.

EDIT: allan found it. Yes if the Jets wanted Raffl to start the year with Jets they'd have to wait until Wednesday to sign him. Or they could sign him, immediately re-assign him and make the switch on Wednesday after Peluso cleared waivers.

And just so it's clear the Jets have previously made a roster change between 23 man roster declaration and opening night. In 2011 they named Patrice Cormier part of the 23 man roster but sent him down before the start of the year when they claimed Brett MacLean off waivers.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think the relevant part is 16.12 under "non-roster player" page 104

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think it's more of a standard procedure type thing. Just about declaring 23 man roster for the season.

EDIT: allan found it. Yes if the Jets wanted Raffl to start the year with Jets they'd have to wait until Wednesday to sign him. Or they could sign him, immediately re-assign him and make the switch on Wednesday after Peluso cleared waivers.

And just so it's clear the Jets have previously made a roster change between 23 man roster declaration and opening night. In 2011 they named Patrice Cormier part of the 23 man roster but sent him down before the start of the year when they claimed Brett MacLean off waivers.

I think we both agree on this. The non-roster player does not apply here, but it does apply in other circumstances.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Raffl's PTO will expire at 5:00pm ET. He will need to be on some sort of a contract in order to continue practicing with the Jets or Moose.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Like I said in a previous post, it doesn't make sense to waive Peluso until Raffl's contract is finalized and approved.

If you did, you'd risk losing both Peluso and Raffl, be a man down to start the season (although they could always call up Lipon) and have no designated face-puncher.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Like I said in a previous post, it doesn't make sense to waive Peluso until Raffl's contract is finalized and approved.

If you did, you'd risk losing both Peluso and Raffl, be a man down to start the season (although they could always call up Lipon) and have no designated face-puncher.

Peluso.....Pfft!! George Parros is looking to make a comeback. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad