Speculation: Will we see Peluso on waivers?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sure, but the reason Peluso is still on the roster is almost certainly because Maurice wants him. It's not like his contract has a big effect on the cap situation, etc.

Agreed but Chevy will have final say. It's a discussion but Chevy has final say. Doesn't mean he can't agree or acquiesce to a request from Maurice.

Ridiculous that after this camp Peluso is still with the team. He is not and has never been anything close to an NHL calibre player. Stunning that guys that get paid for this type of decision can have such a blind spot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So you've blamed Maurice on Thorburn and Stuart's contract extensions and now Peluso. Peluso could not have made this roster were it not for the one-way 2 year contract Chevy signed him to. Furthermore, you continue to promote the old myth that Chevy was responsible for drafting Scheifele ("probably had him on his radar when Chevy was A/GM in Chicago") despite having been shown a number of public statements from both Chevy and Chipman saying they personally had nothing to do with picking Scheifele.

Its an accountability framework where all good decisions are made by Chevy and all the bad ones were made by someone else. :shakehead

As for your "legendary Chevy bashing", I'm not going to say it never happened or that Jesus didn't turn water into wine...its just that none of us were around to see it, so we have to go with our guts on this one.

I said I was a "legendary Wright basher". It doesn't even start with the same letter. ;) Maybe use anatomy other than your "guts" next time.

Actually, there is plenty of evidence that Chevy played a deciding role in selecting Scheifele. https://twitter.com/WPGMurat/status/428967192517173249
https://twitter.com/WPGMurat/status/428967571090849792

(1/2) Fun Scheifele/Couturier fact: Chipman just shared that the scout who wanted Skinner over Burmistrov was overruled. GM regretted this..
(2/2).. And decided to make good by deferring to same scout who wanted Scheifele over Couturier. Says he's very happy w/ that.

There was apparently a debate within the scouting staff over Scheifele vs. Couturier and Chevy decided to back the scout who had ranked Skinner above Burmi. Pretending that Chevy had no role in endorsing the Scheifele selection well above his ranking (and over Couturier) seems a bit odd. Naturally, Chevy always gives credit to the scouts, even now (though he does a lot of his own scouting). That's what good leaders do.

Chevy was part of all of the pre-draft interviews with players, and specifically with Scheifele. Heisinger has been quoted as outlining the qualities that management emphasized with the scouts (character and hockey sense ranked very highly).

Also, there was this....

Although not slated to go this high in the draft, Scheifele was sold to Cheveldayoff by the prospect's junior coach, who emphasized Scheifele's potential. That coach's name is one familiar to Jets fans: Dale Hawerchuk.

"It is ironic. One of the reasons our guys felt so strongly about that young man is largely to do with Dale's endorsement. He coached him and thinks very, very highly of him, and our guys were ecstatic to get him," Chipman said.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure, but the reason Peluso is still on the roster is almost certainly because Maurice wants him. It's not like his contract has a big effect on the cap situation, etc.

I think it's more like he'll be tolerated as the 13th forward. He didn't play for the last month of the season (aside from the meaningless season-ender against the Flames when the Jets had made it) or in the playoffs. When the chips were down, Peluso was in the pressbox. Doesn't sound like a guy Maurice particularly wants...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed but Chevy will have final say. It's a discussion but Chevy has final say. Doesn't mean he can't agree or acquiesce to a request from Maurice.

Ridiculous that after this camp Peluso is still with the team. He is not and has never been anything close to an NHL calibre player. Stunning that guys that get paid for this type of decision can have such a blind spot.

We agree about Peluso.

My point is that you can't just point the finger at Chevy for some of these puzzling decisions. Maurice needs to share some of the blame. If Maurice hated having Thorbs forced on him by Chevy, he wouldn't play him in the top-6 for stretches like he did last year. He didn't need to dress Thorbs and Peluso last year (when Peluso's contract was expiring).

Maurice still abides a bit by the "old school" concept of having some muscle. Chevy agrees with him, or vice-versa. I've gotten used to it...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's more like he'll be tolerated as the 13th forward. He didn't play for the last month of the season (aside from the meaningless season-ender against the Flames when the Jets had made it) or in the playoffs. When the chips were down, Peluso was in the pressbox. Doesn't sound like a guy Maurice particularly wants...

Maurice wanted him at various times of the year, especially against certain teams. He'll coach the same way this year, I would bet.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Does his lifesaving role with Zach Redmond help his cause for staying with the NHL team?

Thorburn is tough and is better than Peluso at hockey so I don't see why we need him.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
If the NHL works up the courage to hand out suspensions, like they did to Torres, to players without his extensive track record the days of players like Peluso playing in the NHL look numbered, regardless of our GM and Coaches' affinity for face punchers.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
No way. I couldn't disagree more. We don't fully know Chevys intentions, but there's no way Chevy would let a near minimum contract get in the way of icing a better roster.

Besides have you looked at how much we're spending? We're just above 60 million. That's less than the past 2-3 years!

We're actually spending about $75 million CDN, which is as much or more than any other year. Peluso's contract is a rounding error against the cap, but in the real world, where $1.35M USD ($2M CDN) dollars are already committed to him (i.e., sunk cost), it represents something closer to the Jets entire net income from this year. The people signing the cheque will be weighing the financial considerations of these decisions a lot more than you or I on General Fanager.com.

Once you factor in that neither Raffl or Peluso will ultimately decide whether this is a playoff team or not and so "icing a better roster" does not translate into any new revenues.

I don't blame Chipman, I'd do the same. I'm just saying that its naïve to think that coaches have the final say - even if its "only a couple million dollars". If they did have the final say, anyone who doesn't immediately waive Pavelec should be fired on the spot.

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012
It's difficult to predict.

1) Do we need an enforcer like Peluso?
2) Is Raffl more skilled than Peluso?
3) Is Raffl willing to stick it out in the AHL?
4) Will Peluso clear waivers?

If it's YES to all of the above than its more likely that Raffl makes the roster and Peluso waives.

If it's YES to 1 - 3 than its more likely that Peluso fills the spot.

If I had to guess...we do not see Peluso on waivers.

:popcorn:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Does his lifesaving role with Zach Redmond help his cause for staying with the NHL team?

Thorburn is tough and is better than Peluso at hockey so I don't see why we need him.

Are you seriously asking that?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Peluso should be waived, but won't be, imo. At least, it doesn't look that way.

He's right there with the Boligs of the league. So when Calgary dresses Bolig, Maurice can dress Peluso. And 3 mins of a 60 minute hockey game may be impacted. Maybe.

When young guys like Lemieux and Lipon finally stick, that's when we may see Peluso waived.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Surprised by the poll results

I'm not. The question was: will we see Peluso on waivers, not SHOULD we see Peluso on waivers. If it was the latter, I'd have voted yes. As it stands, either Chevy or Maurice (or both) seem to want him on the roster.

As bad at Thor is at punching faces, I'd much rather have him as our sole designated pugilist - he can actually play hockey, somewhat. I'd prefer to not have one at all, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards yet.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'm in the minority, but I think we'll see Raffl sign a contract and Peluso subsequently waived. I'll even go as far as to speculate the reason Peluso wasn't waived today was because signing Raffl is a complicated situation given he is already under contract.

It's nice having your AHL team in the same city. If the Flames come to town and Hartley dresses Bollig, the Jets can just recall Peluso.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm in the minority, but I think we'll see Raffl sign a contract and Peluso subsequently waived. I'll even go as far as to speculate the reason Peluso wasn't waived today was because signing Raffl is a complicated situation given he is already under contract.

It's nice having your AHL team in the same city. If the Flames come to town and Hartley dresses Bollig, the Jets can just recall Peluso.

Austria and the NHL have a transfer agreement. It shouldn't be that complicated. It would involve paying a transfer fee though.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It was never changed - it was originally posted with "Rumor" as the thread tag. I've changed it to "Speculation".

Sorry, that would be the correct prefix. I'm on some meds that seem to be making me into a dummy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the NHL works up the courage to hand out suspensions, like they did to Torres, to players without his extensive track record the days of players like Peluso playing in the NHL look numbered, regardless of our GM and Coaches' affinity for face punchers.

I don't see the connection. Peluso specializes in fighting not in dirty hits. How often has Peluso been suspended? How often are any players suspended for fighting?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's difficult to predict.

1) Do we need an enforcer like Peluso?
2) Is Raffl more skilled than Peluso?
3) Is Raffl willing to stick it out in the AHL?
4) Will Peluso clear waivers?

If it's YES to all of the above than its more likely that Raffl makes the roster and Peluso waives.

If it's YES to 1 - 3 than its more likely that Peluso fills the spot.

If I had to guess...we do not see Peluso on waivers.

:popcorn:

No
Yes
Don't know
Don't care

How does that balance out?

Raffl can help us make the playoffs. Peluso can't. EOS

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I voted no as well. Not because I don't think he should be waived, but because I don't think he will be.

I actually appreciate PauMau's old school mentality and I have a real soft spot for guys like Peluso but he's just not good enough at hockey to warrant staying up. And as others have pointed out, Thorburn has satisfactory toughness and is a better player (I gained respect for him last season anyway -- I know lots here still hate him, but the games I watched my eye test liked him).

I can live with Peluso spelling Thorburn off here-and-there but I sure hope he doesn't take ice time away from Petan (if Petan indeed plays on the 4th line). I wish Peluso were better at hockey because I want to like him (again -- soft spot, Tie Domi was my favourite player growing up, but that as a different time and Domi at least averaged about 20 points per season 1992-2006).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad