Will we REALLY Trade Taylor Hall?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers may as well admit the entire rebuild is an epic failure and start all over again with Draisaitl and Nurse in that case. Fast forward 5 years where they'll admit Draisaitl/Nurse/this year's pick weren't good enough to get the franchise over the hump.

This franchise is becoming the definition of a team wandering lost in the woods.

Also I chuckle at people who still think the Rick Nash deal was a great one. Columbus is right back to missing the playoffs by a country mile, Rick Nash has made the SCF and is on pace to score 40-50 goals again this year. Columbus would be a better team with him + Johansen had he stayed.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
The funny thing about those advocating trading Hall is that they are probably the same people, down the road, when the Oilers are lacking talent to cry about Oilers lacking talent after the trade

Such great insight man. Guess what happens when you draft near the top every year? You get a talented prospects.

Funny how you think without Hall, the Oilers will have a lack of talent as if that's the problem.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Such great insight man. Guess what happens when you draft near the top every year? You get a talented prospects.

Funny how you think without Hall, the Oilers will have a lack of talent as if that's the problem.

They do have a lack of talent.

All three of their 1sts are somewhat overrated with the latter two, Yakupov and RNH being extremely overrated. Those two couldn't even carry Tavares' jockstrap. Worst 1st overall picks (as forwards) since 2000 easily. Can you even debate this?

Oilers have not had a legit superstar player other than one year of Pronger where he bailed afterwards, and before that Weight, and that's been 13 years since he was traded or whatever.

RNH and Yakupov aren't even producing at a Hemsky or Smyth level (Hemsky had 53 points in 60 some games in his 4th season, Smyth was already a 30 goal scorer) and all we heard during the Hemsky/Smyth days was how we needed to get a real superstar. Sad that with three 1st overalls they aren't much closer if at all to that.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Oilers may as well admit the entire rebuild is an epic failure and start all over again with Draisaitl and Nurse in that case. Fast forward 5 years where they'll admit Draisaitl/Nurse/this year's pick weren't good enough to get the franchise over the hump.

This franchise is becoming the definition of a team wandering lost in the woods.

Also I chuckle at people who still think the Rick Nash deal was a great one. Columbus is right back to missing the playoffs by a country mile, Rick Nash has made the SCF and is on pace to score 40-50 goals again this year. Columbus would be a better team with him + Johansen had he stayed.

How many injuries did the Blue Jackets have this year? I think they rebound next season if they can stay relatively healthy.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
They do have a lack of talent.

All three of their 1sts are somewhat overrated with the latter two, Yakupov and RNH being extremely overrated. Those two couldn't even carry Tavares' jockstrap. Worst 1st overall picks (as forwards) since 2000 easily. Can you even debate this?

Oilers have not had a legit superstar player other than one year of Pronger where he bailed afterwards, and before that Weight, and that's been 13 years since he was traded or whatever.

RNH and Yakupov aren't even producing at a Hemsky or Smyth level (Hemsky had 53 points in 60 some games in his 4th season, Smyth was already a 30 goal scorer) and all we heard during the Hemsky/Smyth days was how we needed to get a real superstar. Sad that with three 1st overalls they aren't much closer if at all to that.

You always want to compare first overalls which seems to be a problem that you can't overlook. It's honestly gotten ridiculous at this point. Guess what, the other players who went first overall in the past 15 years have nothing to do with the Oilers failures. We all fell into the trap that thinking 1st overalls could turn a franchise around but do you really think these players were not talented players after their dominant seasons in junior hockey? Just because they're first overalls doesn’t mean that they are automatically going to be first line players who can turn a terrible team into a competitive one and don’t need to be developed at the pro level.

Now you compare these guys to former Oilers like Smyth and Hemsky who were actually developed and started out playing bottom 6 minutes on competitive hard-working teams. You really think Smyth's and Hemsky's development had nothing to do with playing under the guys who were top 6 players on the Oilers when they started out? Earning their roles had a lot to do with the success they found in the league.

Is it that lost on you that you can't see the difference and recognize the problem here?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You always want to compare first overalls which seems to be a problem that you can't overlook. It's honestly gotten ridiculous at this point. Guess what, the other players who went first overall in the past 15 years have nothing to do with the Oilers failures. We all fell into the trap that thinking 1st overalls could turn a franchise around but do you really think these players were not talented players after their dominant seasons in junior hockey? Just because they're first overalls doesn’t mean that they are automatically going to be first line players who can turn a terrible team into a competitive one and don’t need to be developed at the pro level.

Now you compare these guys to former Oilers like Smyth and Hemsky who were actually developed and started out playing bottom 6 minutes on competitive hard-working teams. You really think Smyth's and Hemsky's development had nothing to do with playing under the guys who were top 6 players on the Oilers when they started out? Earning their roles had a lot to do with the success they found in the league.

Is it that lost on you that you can't see the difference and recognize the problem here?

What difference does it make if we set up all these arbitrary "yeah but you can't compare X/Y/Z" and keep moving the goal posts so far back.

Who can we compare to then? We can't compare to Calgary either, right? Monahan and Gaudreau are outproducing RNH and Yakupov too.

No one cares that we can't develop our players when they're kicking our butts, no one takes it easy on us. So why should the fan base take it easy?

I expected at least one superstar level player from three 1st overalls -- I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation ... not two Hemsky/Smyth tier players and one full on bust.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The idea of trading Hall is interesting but heres the way I see it:

- What are you going to trade him for? I mean we can all say, would you trade him for a #1D? Its a lot easier said than done. Most teams with a #1D arent going to trade them for Hall. So are they going to trade Hall for a project or a prospect? Say Jones for example. I still dont think Nashville would do that. So in the end I think the trade is pretty hard to make. Because the Oilers havent played well over the last few years, its not an ideal time to trade him. Could you trade him for draft picks? You could, but would you trust this management to draft anything beyond a top 5 pick?

- Sometimes I dont think Hall has improved much since coming into the league. I think he gives up more chances to score against than what he creates. But at the same time, the last 3/4 seasons of the oilers have been pretty awful. One of the problems with Eakins being the coach for the last 2 years roughly is: How do you evaulate the team and the players based on that time? Damn near every player on the team has regressed. As an oiler fan, I have no idea what the team is at this point, because the coaching/management has been awful.

All in all, I dont think trading him is realistic at this point in time.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I would trade him only if it makes the team better. Like some people say, we don't trust the Oiler management's judgment on players at all. The optics do not look good to give up on a 1st overall draft pick though.

Tillhas

Feb 2, 2015
If oilers draft Mcdavid, than yes trade hall for a top d man if you can, Aand somehow find a number one goalie and restart the rebuild around Mcdavid

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If oilers draft Mcdavid, than yes trade hall for a top d man if you can, Aand somehow find a number one goalie and restart the rebuild around Mcdavid

Yes, there's nothing smarter than rebuilding around a star playmaking center than trading your best winger away immediately so said center has no one to play with.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yes, there's nothing smarter than rebuilding around a star playmaking center than trading your best winger away immediately so said center has no one to play with.

Still need a stud D though for all of our forwards to play with. Would rather not trade Hall, but if we do get McEichel, we're once again way overloaded with money/bonuses invested up front. Need to fix the D and goaltending or we will just suck forever.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Still need a stud D though for all of our forwards to play with. Would rather not trade Hall, but if we do get McEichel, we're once again way overloaded with money/bonuses invested up front. Need to fix the D and goaltending or we will just suck forever.

If McDavid is actually worth the hype then he should be able toe elevate Hall to 90+ point player, as Hall was already a 70+ point player with Eberle.

And I reckon the asking price for Hall at that point would be much higher.

Of course by then though the "what have you done for me lately" critics will be saying the Oilers would be crazy to trade Hall and the fans now saying trade him will be saying "erhmagawd, Mac Teee, you crazy, Hall is *untouchable*" etc. etc. etc. (lol).

If we do land McDavid, which we likely won't, but in the event that does happen, long term IMO the players who will be gone will be either Draisaitl or RNH. Three offensive minded centers is overkill and you won't have winger depth for all three of them to play with anyway. They are all pass-first players too.

If you get McDavid that's a pretty big franchise changing thing anyway, I'd fire Mac T and Lowe and give the reigns fully to Mike Babcock with a big fat raise, retain Nelson as an associate coach. Free agents would probably be more willing to sign as well.

Last edited:

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
What difference does it make if we set up all these arbitrary "yeah but you can't compare X/Y/Z" and keep moving the goal posts so far back.

Who can we compare to then? We can't compare to Calgary either, right? Monahan and Gaudreau are outproducing RNH and Yakupov too.

No one cares that we can't develop our players when they're kicking our butts, no one takes it easy on us. So why should the fan base take it easy?

I expected at least one superstar level player from three 1st overalls -- I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation ... not two Hemsky/Smyth tier players and one full on bust.

What goal posts are getting moved? We need to worry about our own team's problems and situation, which is not comparable to any other team in the league.

It sounds like you just want to worry about other team’s prospects that get developed properly who earn their ice time instead of focusing on why our prospects can’t develop on their own and why they can't turn a terrible team into a good one. Not to mention that our continual problems on defense do not get fixed and now we are going the same route by trying to develop our D-prospects in roles they haven’t earned.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What goal posts are getting moved? We need to worry about our own team's problems and situation, which is not comparable to any other team in the league.

It sounds like you just want to worry about other team’s prospects that get developed properly who earn their ice time instead of focusing on why our prospects can’t develop on their own and why they can't turn a terrible team into a good one. Not to mention that our continual problems on defense do not get fixed and now we are going the same route by trying to develop our D-prospects in roles they haven’t earned.

Not having a legit star player is a pretty huge problem.

The sad thing is we really actually *need* to win the lottery this year, because McDavid is a no brainer, can't miss star. We can't make due with just "could bes".

We need four 1st overall picks to finally get one player who is the real deal.

Development and D is an issue, but that's not going to make Nail Yakupov into Steven Stamkos.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Not having a legit star player is a pretty huge problem.

The sad thing is we really actually *need* to win the lottery this year, because McDavid is a no brainer, can't miss star. We can't make due with just "could bes".

We need four 1st overall picks to finally get one player who is the real deal.

Development and D is an issue, but that's not going to make Nail Yakupov into Steven Stamkos.

I'm sorry, but I really think you are over-exaggerating your point. I don't think that there are many people out there that don't think Hall is a superstar... Most admit that he's been one of the best LW's, playing on the ********* team over the course of his career so far.

Have you seen proposal threads? RNH is a favorite among other teams' fans. Even Yakupov still gets the "I would love to see what he can do for our team" in those threads as well.

And do you remember how this team improved after getting one of the best dmen in the league? Can you imagine how these "smyth/hemsky tier players and a bust" might play if they had confidence behind them, and the skill to bring the puck from the blue line?

While the jury is still out on Yakupov for most people, Hall and RNH certainly are not slouches. RNH has been slow to produce the type of points a lot of people expected, but many people he's growing into a good two-way center. And if this team ever stops floundering, the points will likely come.

And at this point, people realllllly need to understand that we're only getting McDavid if they win the lottery. I have no doubt that Buffalo will outtank us. 13~% for McDavid, 20% for Eichel, 67~% Hanifin is the most likely scenario come draft day, unless we manage to get another 1st from a non-playoff team... which is frankly unlikely.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

I guarantee you if RNH and Yakupov were on Calgary we'd be complaining about Monahan and Gaudreau on the Oilers.

The team is horrible in general and has no veteran support for these young players. We can blame 3 consecutive first overalls and a 3rd overall...or we can blame the common denominator.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
It seems really irrational to me that season after season of non-stop losing fans continue to watch but if Taylor Hall was traded (which I can't see happening) that's it, they're done with this team without even seeing the results.

I expect those type of reactions from children, not grown men

Being one of those people please let me share a little perspective with you. You mention leave without seeing the results, Hall is in fact the the results! It has been a long time since this team had anything close to a "franchise player". Over the years we have not been able to sign major free agents, the reason being my opionion is because this team is not competitive. History has proven that to be a solid team in the league free agents are really only window dressing anyway, to be successful you need to build through the draft. So long ago when we started to decline and to me that timeline started once Gretzky left ( I know we won another cup after) I was more than willing to support rebuilding through the draft and hopefully someday build another team that I enjoyed watching with players that at times would pull you out of your seat with excitement. Over the years I have supported the cause with both time and money, time is the most precious commodity I have so long story short I'm not willing to give any more of it if we just keep repeating the same old story. Sequin was not traded from Boston because he was their best player and they could get two lesser players to fill other holes on the team. This team has traded away more franchise players than any team in history, by trading one more we are going to fix our issues? We have never come close to winning one of those trades, other Gm's, other times and they were never able to do it. No matter how many players swap back and forth the team that gets the best player wins the trade and I can't see an even reasonable scenario where we get someone better than Hall back. I would like to see us fix the issue, not put bandaids on it and offering up our best player to do it. Trading Hall would be a great example of Einstein's definition of insanity, do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. I hope this helps you understand.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
If Todd Nelson coaches a winning record from when he started up till the deadline, I say trade no one, extend everyone a year.

If they fall apart before the deadline, no one should be untouchable. Build the team from the back end out the second time. or would that be the third rebuild?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad