Will we REALLY Trade Taylor Hall?

McBdayz15

Sep 21, 2007
Edmonton
I've been disappointed with Hall this season.

Last season he clearly out performed Nuge. Hall was our home run first round pick, Nuge was meh and Yak was the problem child.

Nuge and Yak have both improved over the season. Hall's performance has fallen off.

Yeah, I'd prefer to see Hall go than Nuge at this point.

It's responses like this as to why we are even discussing Hall being traded.. I'm not sure how you've came to the conclusion Nuge has taken a step forward and Hall has fallen off, Do you base this off their stats? Going into the Calgary game on Saturday night Hall and Nugent-Hopkins had the exact same point totals with Hall playing 6 less games and Nugent-Hopkins only has a better +/- by 2.

Sure Hall has greater expectation on him which is because we've seen him do it but to sit here and say Nugent-Hopkins has improved has no foundation or at the very least I lack to see what basis you're using.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
That's the catch right there. You won't be able to make the team better right now if you trade Hall. Best value you can get for the guy is a bunch of futures and that's just a lottery ticket.

I dont expect it to make the team better immediately but I hope they do improve it someday. The fact we are still in the race for worst overall after five years makes it clear we need a lot more help than one player at the draft every year. At this rate of improvement we're still 5 years way from a playoff spot, just in time for Hall to hit free agency. Good luck re-signing him ater this mess.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think that Eberle(whom I'd also like to trade) has shown that he's got chemistry with both Hall and Hopkins in the past, but Hall doesn't seem to really click with the team this year.

I'm fine with Pouliot-Hopkins-EBerle for now.

At this point I only hope that we can find another Pouliot type who can play big minutes with Leon and Yakupov. It's a similar mix. Each line has a power forward who's got intangibles, a quality playmaker and a quality sniper.

If we can trade Hall for a 1st pairing d-man we'll be in so much better shape even if we end up drafting #3 at the upcoming draft.

With Yakimov and Khaira getting their game together in the AHL and Moroz a step behind them it looks like we' actually have a proper group of bottom 6 forwards to put on the ice down there.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
the only problem with trading a top scorer like Hall is who do we get in return that will help off set this teams loss of his production? if you look at Boston, when they traded Seguin and Peverley and Ryan Button for Eriksson, Smith, Morrow and Matt Fraser, has that trade improved the Bruins? Eriksson and Smith between them have 21 goals and 34 assists for the Bruins, while Seguin has 28 goals and 28 assists all by himself this season, so it could almost seem like a sideways move? the Oilers would need to get a similar return to what the B's got for Seguin for a Hall trade to be a success, but i wonder if MacT is even capable of pulling off such a deal? him being as in love with draft picks as he is, would we be able to get established NHL players in return to actually IMPROVE this team....?

OilerInOttawa

Dec 8, 2014
I don't think its fair to judge the guy on this season alone... The whole team has underperformed and we're talking about a guy who's managed to crack the Top 10 in scoring for multiple seasons despite playing on a team that's been in the basement of the standings the entire time. Nuge has made some big strides in his 2way game but Hall is our only legitimate superstar. We get rid of him and we have yet another hole to fill.

If the right package is in play I'm not against it but I don't think the right package will be presented to us...not mid season at least.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
It seems really irrational to me that season after season of non-stop losing fans continue to watch but if Taylor Hall was traded (which I can't see happening) that's it, they're done with this team without even seeing the results.

I expect those type of reactions from children, not grown men

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'd almost trade Hall for the return Rick Nash got.

:/

Hugely beneficial for both teams.

We need to stop being married to the idea of keeping players for the sake of keeping them, and simply start trading players that will make the team better.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
It seems really irrational to me that season after season of non-stop losing fans continue to watch but if Taylor Hall was traded (which I can't see happening) that's it, they're done with this team without even seeing the results.

I expect those type of reactions from children, not grown men

We need to stop being married to the idea of keeping players for the sake of keeping them, and simply start trading players that will make the team better.

good points, and all i want to do is win so whomever needs to go to accomplish this, so be it ! Boston had no problem trading Seguin, one of the brightest stars in the league today, and it's good to mention the Jackets....they really gutted their team by trading Nash, Brassard, Mason, Voracek and Dorsett, and are still competitive with guys like Johansen, Bobrovsky, Foligno, Jenner, Hartnell, Jack Johnson, Dubinsky and Wisnewski. they basically flushed the nucleus of one team that hadn't had much success, and brought in another and, though not yet contenders, have survived it. no reason why the Oilers can't do the same if they so desired, but MUST do a better job at drafting after the 1st round !!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Columbus Blue Jackets traded Rick Nash, Steve Delisle and a conditional 3rd round selection to the New York Rangers for Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a 1st round selection in 2013.

Kerby Rychel is the 1st rounder they got with the pick.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kerby-rychel/
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130619

I don't think that Columbus made out like bandits on this trade, but they didn't get taken to the cleaners, either.

I wouldn't lose my **** if Hall go traded for a package similar to this.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
This team is garbage right now with Hall I dont see why he should be untouchable. If we can trade him and make the team better do it. It all comes down to finding the right trading partner with the right parts, probably a package deal with several parts coming back like the seguin deal but hopefully better pieces coming back.

That is exactly why you dont trade Taylor Hall! The best your going to get is exactly like the Seguin deal. The idea is to get better not worse.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If Hall is traded for a #1D, we will be a better team, no doubt about it. We finished 3rd last in the NHL on Hall's career year. This team is just horribly unbalanced and we will be wandering in the bottom half (bottom 3rd more likely) of the NHL continuously until we have better D and better goaltending (thanks for the new hole MacT). Better C would help too of course, but not as much IMO as finally getting a top pairing D (better be a real #1 if it's in a Hall trade) on this team.

That said, doubt we trade Hall and I doubt any #1D's are available with lots of RFA years left or long term deals that we would need in any trade for a package including Hall.

Gambl0r83*

This would be the 2nd biggest regret in Oiler history

Hall is a young superstar on the rise, and when the clock strikes and he hits his prime, he will carry that team on his shoulders

Once this kid gets momentum and is in a playoff spot fight, he's a ****in demon out there. Get him into the playoffs and we all know his specialty is playoff hockey

Hall is the heartbeat of this team, can't live without your heart

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
We can keep blaming players (Gagner, Horcoff, Smid, Hemsky, Perron, Dubnyk, Petry, Hall, Yakupov, etc...) but trading them fixes nothing. It's clearly an organizational problem.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
No wonder MacT/Lowe have been able to **** over the fan base for so long. We are constantly thinking the new draft pick or new trade will fix us when the entire problem starts up top. Trading Hall is the stupidest rebuild plan ever. No team has to trade guys like that to rebuild. Supporting players are drafted or acquired via FA. For the most part stars stay for a long time.

Connor Mcdavey*

No wonder MacT/Lowe have been able to **** over the fan base for so long. We are constantly thinking the new draft pick or new trade will fix us when the entire problem starts up top. Trading Hall is the stupidest rebuild plan ever. No team has to trade guys like that to rebuild. Supporting players are drafted or acquired via FA. For the most part stars stay for a long time.

hmm.. let's see here. Hall is injured, Eberle RNH and Pouliot are playing their best hockey as of late. Eberle looks like he's possessed, no longer forcing passes to Hall. Our team as a whole is playing harder.. hmm.. maybe, just maybe, Hall is a problem in the dressing room? Or his style of play compromises team success for individual success? I dunno just thinking out loud here, just making observations on what I've found over the last week.

Connor Mcdavey*

This would be the 2nd biggest regret in Oiler history

Hall is a young superstar on the rise, and when the clock strikes and he hits his prime, he will carry that team on his shoulders

Once this kid gets momentum and is in a playoff spot fight, he's a ****in demon out there. Get him into the playoffs and we all know his specialty is playoff hockey

Hall is the heartbeat of this team, can't live without your heart

Why is he the heart beat? Heart beat obviously isn't equating to climbing up the standings, since being drafted his heart beat has not really gotten us anywhere to be honest.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The thing is is they've made such a mess of actually building around Hall. The pieces they needed are in Junior right now (one isn't even picked yet). Their timeline is all wrong. The core that is going to win (in managements mind) is RNH, Draisailt, Nurse, Eachel/Hanifin.

They'll probably keep Hall, but I think their plan has changed. They've reset again. This year's pick is key to their plan. Hall will be the veteran to the young core that he never had.

Last edited:

Connor Mcdavey*

I personally hope he gets traded while his value is still somewhat high. Was never crazy about his attitude, body language, or his style of play. For one, it relies a lot on luck. Two, his hockey skill is non existent and his points are not sustainable. Seen a study somewhere that said of all top 10 scorers last year, he has the most secondary assists. Also, the only other person I know who scored more fluke points in the league was Ryan Jones, who is no where to be found (which I also called back in the day and was called crazy, check my post history). Taylor Hall is fast, and tries.. sure, but besides that he is not a top 10 scorer in this league I promise. He is currently 106th in points, and will be lucky if he hits 50 points. Has never scored more than 30 goals in the league, and hasn't led the team anywhere. Is a cry baby, always looks sour and posseses bad body language - thus not having captaincy yet where other 1st overalls have all had a chance to lead their team (Ovie, Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Nash, even Landeskog, etc. etc.)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Islanders could have easily traded Tavares because he was supposed to be their star player and they weren't getting anywhere with him. But even a GM without a brain like Snow knows how stupid that would have been.

It's an easy excuse, but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Islanders could have easily traded Tavares because he was supposed to be their star player and they weren't getting anywhere with him. But even a GM without a brain like Snow knows how stupid that would have been.

It's an easy excuse, but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The funny thing about those advocating trading Hall is that they are probably the same people, down the road, when the Oilers are lacking talent to cry about Oilers lacking talent after the trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad