Will we ever have lone superstar after McDavid?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Can someone explain what a “lone superstar” is supposed to mean in this thread. Honest question.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Someone with better physical abilities? This kids (or adult!!) might already exist but can't (could not) afford to play hockey.

As far as hockey player goes, Gretzky and Lemieux are the clear benchmark and no one has come close since

Reactions: Mbraunm and kings11

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Mcdavid is 22, when kucherov was 22 his best season was under 70 points, Mcdavid hasn’t even played a season in his prime yet and you are talking about best seasons lol.

I also disagree that just because kucherov had a few more points playing with Stamkos, Point, Hedman , Johnson on the power play compared to Draisaitl, Caggiula, Klefbomb and Larsson that he had a better season.
Technically speaking, NHL players peak around 25YO.. Its rare for even the best ever to have had the success they acheived from 18-25YO from a production stand point

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Technically speaking, NHL players peak around 25YO.. Its rare for even the best ever to have had the success they acheived from 18-25YO from a production stand point
yeah that was kinda my point, thanks for letting me know you understood me.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Eichel isn’t in the same tier as McDavid for natural talent, speed and how he thinks the game. MacKinnon is the smartest offensive player in the game. He’s developed into a truly special player a monster on the puck. Matthews is at the moment a one trick pony but his scoring is truly elite. Matthews usually rolls with Nylander, Kapanen, etc but not Tavares or Marner so the linemate comment doesn’t fit.

you can reasonably argue Eichel over Matthews but they are the same tier. No chance anyone could put together a valid argument that Eichel > McDavid or MacKinnon

Nope to the bolded

He had almost 40 assists in 67 games or something last year, he would have had close to 60 for sure over a healthy 82. He is nothing like a 1 trick pony lol I love Eichel, but they are not the same player.

But I do agree that McDavid is a wonderful player, truly the best right now. I love watching him play.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Nope to the bolded

He had almost 40 assists in 67 games or something last year, he would have had close to 60 for sure over a healthy 82. He is nothing like a 1 trick pony lol I love Eichel, but they are not the same player.

But I do agree that McDavid is a wonderful player, truly the best right now. I love watching him play.

by scoring I meant offensive game, but yes I also see him as more of a goal scorer

Last edited:
Reactions: DanM

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Mcdavid 1.3 ppg on pace 5th all time
kucherov 1.0 ppg not even on pace for 50th all time.

Mcdavid art ross 50% of his career, only other player to do this is Gretzky.
kucherov 16% of his career.

Mcdavid age 22 ppg seasons 4.
kucherov age 26 ppg seasons 3.

Mcdavid 100% of his seasons have been above ppg.
kucherov 50% of his seasons have been under ppg.

All you have proven is that Kucherov was a late bloomer. Mcdavid is obviously the better player but these stats are absolutely meaningless.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
In today's league it's not possible to dominate like Gretzky and Lemieux did vs their peers anymore. Nowadays consistency is the name of the game. The new domination will turn out to be consistency over peers. The skill level of players is just a lot higher and closer now across the board.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
All you have proven is that Kucherov was a late bloomer. Mcdavid is obviously the better player but these stats are absolutely meaningless.
Late bloomer or not good enough to produce when not playing on a stacked team? We can't tell for sure but evidence points to him needing top line mates and team to produce as those are the only seasons he's sniffed ppg stats.

The stats are also not meaningless, they are very clear to everyone but a few Tampa fans with their heads deep in the sand.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
In today's league it's not possible to dominate like Gretzky and Lemieux did vs their peers anymore. Nowadays consistency is the name of the game. The new domination will turn out to be consistency over peers. The skill level of players is just a lot higher and closer now across the board.
Then explain why Mario destroyed jagr in art ross races. Crosby ovi McDavid kcherov malkin at their best would fall into the same result

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Late bloomer or not good enough to produce when not playing on a stacked team? We can't tell for sure but evidence points to him needing top line mates and team to produce as those are the only seasons he's sniffed ppg stats.

The stats are also not meaningless, they are very clear to everyone but a few Tampa fans with their heads deep in the sand.

what about the year we missed the playoffs and he was great? Or does that just not fit your agenda so you ignore it?

and yes the stats are meaningless. How about you look at the past 3 or so years so we can compare their current ability? No idea why you want to look at Kucherov’s stats from when he was playing in the bottom six in his rookie year and act like they matter.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Lol the OP cant br of legal drinking age. There are 2 players still playing in the NHL that have superior resumes than McDavid did at the same age and a dozen maybe all time. He hasent even kead the league in goals once yet. He is the best player in the league right now but that's not even by a wide margin. OFC there will be another player as good as McDavid at some point. There are 3 in the next 4 drafts that I think have a small chance of being on his level alone. This thread is crazy.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
what about the year we missed the playoffs and he was great? Or does that just not fit your agenda so you ignore it?

and yes the stats are meaningless. How about you look at the past 3 or so years so we can compare their current ability? No idea why you want to look at Kucherov’s stats from when he was playing in the bottom six in his rookie year and act like they matter.
You call 85 points to miss the playoffs great? I ignored it because its not great,
great was Mcdavid missing with 116 points ( one third more ) but nice try.

only focusing on a few years just isn't how reality works, especially in a game like hockey where even amazing players can struggle. When i'm judging how good a player is i have to take into account how likely it is he could regress and when Mcdavid literally has twice the odds of a ppg season that can't be ignored.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No.
He did lead a record setting Team to a President's Trophy. Great season.

He scored 128 points though. Who else besides McDavid would've matched let alone surpassed that on Tampa this past season? Nobody, not even MacKinnon. Even Kane is better than MacKinnon anyway.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It wasn't very long ago where people were wondering if the league would have any superstar talent after Crosby and Ovechkin. And it wasn't long before them that people were wondering if the league would have superstar talent after Gretzky and Lemieux.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He's 22 years old and already has 377 career points, I think it would be hard to deny he is heads and shoulders above his peers accounting for age and overall team makeup (by comparison Patrick Kane was at the start of his 6th season when he hit 377). I don't see how bringing up team accomplishments is material when he has so much prime hockey left in him and many team problems are out of his control.

He's neck and neck with Draisaitl right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad