Will the Winnipeg Jets make the Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The jets will follow the same trajectory of Columbus. Had a promising season, took a step back due to injuries and exploded the following year. I expect the jets will be a 100 point team.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yes, I think they make the playoffs.

The Central has been stacked for the past few seasons, but I think the top teams are starting to crack, specifically Chicago. I think the Jets are better than St. Louis, Minnesota could be a one hit wonder or the real deal and I'm not sure what they are yet. I expect Dallas and Nashville to be more competitive in the regular season, and Colorado is Colorado.

Straight up if they miss the playoffs this year Chevy. Maurice, and the rest of the coaching staff are gone in the off season!

I think Winnipeg gets a wild card spot, and loses a hard fought series in the first round against a superior team in the Pacific (most likely Anaheim) in 5 games. But in 2018/19 I think they will be a force in the NHL, and a legit Cup contender.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The jets will follow the same trajectory of Columbus. Had a promising season, took a step back due to injuries and exploded the following year. I expect the jets will be a 100 point team.

The Jets have missed the playoffs the past 2 years in a row.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
A leafs fan is trying to tell Jets fans about over hyping. You guys have been overhyping your team for the last 50 some years. Always a Cup cotender. Next years the year. I don't remember anyone hyping this tean previous to the last 3 years at most.

You got one thing correct in that post, the part about having a team for the last 50 years. Another thing, the Leafs will never leave Toronto.

;)

PS... all teams have fans who over hype their players and team.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You got one thing correct in that post, the part about having a team for the last 50 years. Another thing, the Leafs will never leave Toronto.

;)

Lol oh well. Winnipeg lost the team and we get it back

The fans show up now

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

;)

Congratulations for being a fan of a team in a big city. Want a gold star?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Is Nashville that good? They squeaked into the playoffs with 94 points and then Rinne got hot and they went on a roll. They're fine if they get .920 goaltending again I guess. But then again, so are the Jets...

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Is Nashville that good? They squeaked into the playoffs with 94 points and then Rinne got hot and they went on a roll. They're fine if they get .920 goaltending again I guess. But then again, so are the Jets...

Nashville won't miss the playoffs, unless something unforeseeable happens.
I'd make the argument that they will be better next year, even with losing James Neal. Bonino is a better option down the middle than Fisher was a year ago and Hartnell is on a dream contract. They still have the best D core in the league and it got deeper with a year (at least) of Emelin on their 3rd pair, as opposed to Weber and Irwin.

Even after they sign their 5 RFA's they should still have the cap room to make adjustments if need to.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'd make the argument that they will be better next year, even with losing James Neal. Bonino is a better option down the middle than Fisher was a year ago and Hartnell is on a dream contract. They still have the best D core in the league and it got deeper with a year (at least) of Emelin on their 3rd pair, as opposed to Weber and Irwin.

Even after they sign their 5 RFA's they should still have the cap room to make adjustments if need to.
I dunno the anthem singer quit in protest of ringers for anthem duties in the playoffs.
That kind of stuff will fracture a dressing room

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They are great when healthy, their top4 clicked. But the depth is weak.
Their F group is easy to match up against, only 1 line you need to focus on.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
If they stay healthy absolutely they will. Last year they beat Hawk 4W's to 1, Beat St L 4w's-0.

Ok, so you're putting the expectation that the Jets should make the playoffs.
So, if they miss out and they don't have the number of games missed (ie. key guys like Schiefle, Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little all play about 75 games minimum), what happens to the organization?

Another playoff miss, and I think Maurice is gone. Then, you have to turn your attention to Chevy who decided to keep Maurice.

Almost all teams can make the playoffs this coming season, with the exceptions of Colorado, Vancouver, Vegas, Arizona.

So, saying any of Buffalo, Carolina, NJ, Winnipeg, can make the playoffs isn't that big a deal.

It's whether they should be expected to make the playoffs which indicates that missing the playoffs is unacceptable and that change is needed to ensure that they don't miss out again. Whether that's the coach, GM or players.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ok, so you're putting the expectation that the Jets should make the playoffs.
So, if they miss out and they don't have the number of games missed (ie. key guys like Schiefle, Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little all play about 75 games minimum), what happens to the organization?

Another playoff miss, and I think Maurice is gone. Then, you have to turn your attention to Chevy who decided to keep Maurice.

Almost all teams can make the playoffs this coming season, with the exceptions of Colorado, Vancouver, Vegas, Arizona.

So, saying any of Buffalo, Carolina, NJ, Winnipeg, can make the playoffs isn't that big a deal.

It's whether they should be expected to make the playoffs which indicates that missing the playoffs is unacceptable and that change is needed to ensure that they don't miss out again. Whether that's the coach, GM or players.

If the Jets aren't doing well by American Thanksgiving I would expect that Maurice and most of his assistants would be gone. If they somehow challenge all year but fall short at the end then I would expect them to be dismissed at the end of the year. Chevy likely gets one more coach before he's gone. But neither Chevy or PoMo are signed past this season yet.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last year at this time who saw Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, and Columbus all making the playoffs??

I had the Jets missing the playoffs last season and I have them making it this season but who knows?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Yeah but the Preds might get .920 save percentage. The Jets wont. Steve Mason is no upgrade, and honestly 1/2 the Jets issue with "goaltending" was just shoddy defensive coverage which they've been plagued with for years.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
Yeah but the Preds might get .920 save percentage. The Jets wont. Steve Mason is no upgrade, and honestly 1/2 the Jets issue with "goaltending" was just shoddy defensive coverage which they've been plagued with for years.

Next

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

That's how I feel too
Goaltending is an issue, but I think how Maurice has these guys playing is a big issue too

We'll get the answers the jets need in the 18 season

Tho I don't completely agree with the mason signing it should be an upgrade or at least help with what we've had for the last 6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad