Will the Winnipeg Jets make the Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Simply that I can set my watch to the "Is this the year Winnipeg breaks out" thread that gets discussed every summer and the same discussion and end result has occurred. The same arguments (basically young talent) gets discussed. Generally, the strong prospect pool has made me side with Peg in the past, and they still have that pool.

Overall, I'm just sick of being wrong every year. Still not a playoff win in franchise history (dating back to 2000) which is astonishing. I mean, that streak has to break some day....right?

Having one of the best prospect pools doesn't lead playoffs short term my friend, you were lied to. The year the jets made the playoffs, the only young talent from their current core that they had was Scheifele and Trouba, both who have made significant strides since then.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Simply that I can set my watch to the "Is this the year Winnipeg breaks out" thread that gets discussed every summer and the same discussion and end result has occurred. The same arguments (basically young talent) gets discussed. Generally, the strong prospect pool has made me side with Peg in the past, and they still have that pool.

Overall, I'm just sick of being wrong every year. Still not a playoff win in franchise history (dating back to 2000) which is astonishing. I mean, that streak has to break some day....right?

I agree with that sentiment. Plus, most of the responses from Jets fans has been, they "CAN" make the playoffs, not they "SHOULD" make the playoffs. CAN does not equal Expectations. SHOULD means that they expect to and if they don't changes will be made.

And those changes isn't just coaching, since it's the GM who is sticking with the same coach who has missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons. I mean, without the Laine lottery win, the Jets pick #6 in 2016. If one of the teams ahead of the Jets get the #2 pick, then Mathews, Laine, Jesse P, Dubois are off the board for sure. Canucks would have taken Dubois if he was there for them and CBS took him over JP. Leaves the Jets the option to take Tkachuk if he is there or one of the Dmen.

Jets returned in 2011. It's now 2017. Jets have been back for 6 years. Chevy has had 7 drafts to stockpile the cupboard. Prospects now range in age between 18-24. Is Chevy the guy the Jets need at the helm of the team at this stage of their life cycle. Is Chevy capable of turning the assets that he has into a consistent playoff team and then into a contending team?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets fans have been pumping the tires of the team for years now, and casual fans who don't watch them take it at face value and parrot the narratives on here, that's why.

I am slightly biased but I have been on here through it all. When it was the Thrashers team there was a lot of "Our roster > the Leaf roster" meaning the Wheeler vs Kessel teams. Jets never did any better than the Leafs in that stretch.

Then they had the brightest future. This has been the narrative for the past 3 offseasons. Pushed having the best prospect pool, and was the cause of a lot of arguments last offseason again between Jets and Leaf fans.

Last year again, prospects graduated and still missed the playoffs. This year is put up or shut up time. I know the scape goat of the coach is locked and loaded, but it's been years. Time to win a playoff game or time to admit the team has been severely over rated for a while now.

It's simple physics.. If you want to hype something up so much that it soars above the rest, it will crash harder than the rest if it fails to hit those expectations. If the Leafs crash and burn I expect no less from this site after the hype train, yet Jet fans think they are immune.

A leafs fan is trying to tell Jets fans about over hyping. You guys have been overhyping your team for the last 50 some years. Always a Cup cotender. Next years the year. I don't remember anyone hyping this tean previous to the last 3 years at most.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Jets fans have been pumping the tires of the team for years now, and casual fans who don't watch them take it at face value and parrot the narratives on here, that's why.

I am slightly biased but I have been on here through it all. When it was the Thrashers team there was a lot of "Our roster > the Leaf roster" meaning the Wheeler vs Kessel teams. Jets never did any better than the Leafs in that stretch.

Then they had the brightest future. This has been the narrative for the past 3 offseasons. Pushed having the best prospect pool, and was the cause of a lot of arguments last offseason again between Jets and Leaf fans.

Last year again, prospects graduated and still missed the playoffs. This year is put up or shut up time. I know the scape goat of the coach is locked and loaded, but it's been years. Time to win a playoff game or time to admit the team has been severely over rated for a while now.

It's simple physics.. If you want to hype something up so much that it soars above the rest, it will crash harder than the rest if it fails to hit those expectations. If the Leafs crash and burn I expect no less from this site after the hype train, yet Jet fans think they are immune.

People in Winnipeg are in easy position. Think about city where the same conversation have been going on for a lifetime.

Those people must be bitter. Oh hey, I just quoted one.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Seriously, is there still a "honeymoon" period going on with this team since having relocated from Atlanta? They are about to enter their 7th season in Winnipeg, but I still get the sense this team is wrapped in teflon.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
A leafs fan is trying to tell Jets fans about over hyping. You guys have been overhyping your team for the last 50 some years. Always a Cup cotender. Next years the year. I don't remember anyone hyping this tean previous to the last 3 years at most.

Jets fans were convincing us they were going to go deep in the playoffs last season and ended up being one of the worst teams in the NHL. Ouch.

And now they are telling us there a different team, no injuries, etc etc. They just suck. Too cheap to hire a quality coach, dumb management, and somehow the fans still tell us how good their team is. They just aren't good. At all. If they were, they would have shown some progress instead of missing the playoffs and being a lottery team every year

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Jets fans were convincing us they were going to go deep in the playoffs last season and ended up being one of the worst teams in the NHL. Ouch.

And now they are telling us there a different team, no injuries, etc etc. They just suck. Too cheap to hire a quality coach, dumb management, and somehow the fans still tell us how good their team is. They just aren't good. At all. If they were, they would have shown some progress instead of missing the playoffs and being a lottery team every year

HFBoards, ladies and gentlemen. Literally everything in this post is wrong - misinformed or just a poor trolling attempt?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

If your team wasn't a small market and could've supported an NHL team for the last 50 years, the narrative would be the same....or worse.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not a chance. Terrible coach, forwards don't play d, garbage goaltending

These are just quality posts.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Seems there is something deeper to your hatred of the Jets and Jets fans. It's almost like it's on a personal level. I suggest seeking out professional help from a therapist. They can help you work through whatever it is that seems to be troubling you so deeply.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If your team wasn't a small market and could've supported an NHL team for the last 50 years, the narrative would be the same....or worse.

Doubtful. Even when the old Jets were a team the narrative around the leafs was they were just one season away from a cup. The next off season is the one.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I can see them being better than at least two of Minnesota, Chicago, and Nashville. Dallas is a wildcard in that they might be in it but they might not. Blues will be in the playoffs barring a disaster happening.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Nothing against the Peg, but I'm skeptical. They're in a tough division. I don't see Chicago, Minny, St. Louis, or Nashville doing them any favours, and I expect Dallas to be a hungry team next year as well. The Jets have the scoring weapons, but they need to do a better job keeping the puck out of the net.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm going to say no.

They will underachieve in a Paul Maurice like fashion once again.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Having one of the best prospect pools doesn't lead playoffs short term my friend, you were lied to. The year the jets made the playoffs, the only young talent from their current core that they had was Scheifele and Trouba, both who have made significant strides since then.

Yep...they were on the team last year, too. Until they finally get a playoff victory, it's rinse and repeat. Hopefully the discussion will be different next July.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm going to say no.

They will underachieve in a Paul Maurice like fashion once again.

That is a fair comment. They will be labelled underachievers until they actually achieve something as a team.

Nov 24, 2006

Why is it, without fail, that every thread somehow has to connect to the Leafs?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Trade for Schneider and send A d man back to Jersey. Your team is ready to compete.

How would a realistic trade look like if a good d prospect is part of the deal?

Trouble is we don't have any blue chip D prospects. We need Trouba and a Morrissey too bad to trade either.

Schneider was my dream acquisition but now that we signed Mason he's here to stay I'm sure.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Depends on how many stupid penalties Buff takes. I say it's 50/50. They definitely have the talent. Not sure about goaltending though. Discipline is the issue there. I don't see it magically changing after Maurice has had two years to try and get it under control. I'd bet not at this point but it's hard to ignore the talent on that roster.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If some of my fellow Jets fans predicted that they should have made the playoffs last year, they were not paying attention to the fact that the team was still developing by inserting several more rookies into the line-up, much like they did in the year previous to the last year.

Last year, my expectations were that the Jets would have an outside shot at being a bubble team, and I think that was a fair assessment that was torpedoed by all the injuries.

As a realist, my expectation is that the Jets should make the playoffs and they will surprise many naysayers where they end up.

If they somehow fail in that quest, heads should and will roll (rather quickly for Maurice).

I'm confident that we'll trample past a few of these Central Division pretenders, including Nashville.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

The Jets were one of the most injured teams in the league last year.

The Leafs were one of the luckiest on that front.

Both teams ended with 40 regulation wins.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad