Will the real Edmonton Oilers please stand up?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You are saying the Oilers DON'T miss their top pairing defender? Larsson is sorely missed for his hits alone and takeaways alone.

I don't particularly miss him. Persson was better than Larsson was last year, and Jones hasn't been bad either.

Reactions: Aerchon

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers top 5 in points and 18th in power rankings. Leafs of course are 8th overall... the media still loves the Leafs.

"Hey everyone, we here at Yahoo! Sports are doing real power rankings for teams Nos. 1-31. Here they are, based on only how I am feeling about these teams and their chances to win the Cup, meaning you can’t tell me I’m wrong because these are my feelings and feelings can’t be wrong. Please enjoy the Power Feelings."

NHL Power Rankings: Lightning return to Top 3 as Leafs continue to slide

I assumed that quotation was satire because it was in italics...I'm now deeply disappointed I gave that horrific article a read/view. I hope Yahoo doesnt actually pay that author.

How are teams way back in the standings top 10 in the power rankings. I get that there is some projection involved with ranking teams and you cant expect CGY/Tor/TB to continue to be mediocre, but you need to base some of the ranking on current reality. Jesus.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Because they have the best PP in the league, the third best PK, a defenseman on pace for 60 points, one of the best rookie defensemen in the league, another young, top pairing guy guy on pace for 35+ points, goalies ranked #9 and#16 in SV%, etc.

It's an oversimplification to take a shot at the team's success.

Obviously those two are a huge reason for it, but they aren't the only thing going for them right now.

Yeah, people loved to take a dump on our D and Goalies the last few years, but this year they wont acknowledge there are bright spots in those positions because it would involve backpedaling. Easier to chalk it up to "McProduct"...

Reactions: Aerchon

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Why are the Oil fans getting mad when people say it's all McDrai? Be proud of your stars. That's literally how good they are. McDrai has 76 GF and is 14-6-3. Pretty good.

Number of players with 15+ points on #NHL teams:

7-WSH
6- EDM & FLO
5- COL, STL, SJ, VGK, MTL & CAR
4- CGY, VAN, WPG, NYR, TOR & TB
3- ANA, CHI, NSH, BOS, BUF, DET, NYI & PHI
2- DAL, PITT 1- ARI, LA, MIN, CBJ, NJ & OTT

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, people loved to take a dump on our D and Goalies the last few years, but this year they wont acknowledge there are bright spots in those positions because it would involve backpedaling. Easier to chalk it up to "McProduct"...
It's true the only people allowed to take a dump on the Oilers are Oilers fans themselves.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

7-WSH
6- EDM & FLO
Pretty good depth

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's true the only people allowed to take a dump on the Oilers are Oilers fans themselves.

Nah, everyone can take a dump on what they want, I didnt say it was unjustified to take a dump on our D and goaltending in the past. People should be consistent, and give credit where it's due now that those positions have trended up slightly.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Most teams rely on their magic beans to a high degree. The Oilers have a small number of those magic beans but luckily they are some of the best in the league. However, they had those same magic beans last year and lost a lot of games. The difference, is the ground beans from last year were tepid and stale while the ground beans from this year are only tepid, which means they don't really wake you up but they also don't make you sick.

p.s. I ground that bean metaphor down to a way finer grind than it could handle.

Reactions: Mez

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Most teams rely on their magic beans to a high degree. The Oilers have a small number of those magic beans but luckily they are some of the best in the league. However, they had those same magic beans last year and lost a lot of games. The difference, is the ground beans from last year were tepid and stale while the ground beans from this year are only tepid, which means they don't really wake you up but they also don't make you sick.

p.s. I ground that bean metaphor down to a way finer grind than it could handle.
I completely looked past what you were trying to say, I was enjoying the metaphors too much.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
The fact is that the Oilers, while they do have fantastic pieces on both forward and defense. Both McDavid and Draisaitl have been fantastic, the defense has looked closer to what at least I expected, and the goaltending, while not incredible, has been solid (as an aside, Koskinen has been a brick wall). This team is closer to the start they had than the 'slump' they're in now (as long as McJesus and Draisaitl don't die).

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I assumed that quotation was satire because it was in italics...I'm now deeply disappointed I gave that horrific article a read/view. I hope Yahoo doesnt actually pay that author.

How are teams way back in the standings top 10 in the power rankings. I get that there is some projection involved with ranking teams and you cant expect CGY/Tor/TB to continue to be mediocre, but you need to base some of the ranking on current reality. Jesus.
Without having read the article - I much prefer rankings and projections over simply reporting the latest stats columns. Sadly I find more often than not new topics on the NHL board pumping up a certain player or team always tie right back to their position in the stat sheet at that time. More subjective analysis is desperately needed in hockey.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Without having read the article - I much prefer rankings and projections over simply reporting the latest stats columns. Sadly I find more often than not new topics on the NHL board pumping up a certain player or team always tie right back to their position in the stat sheet at that time. More subjective analysis is desperately needed in hockey.

I dont mind subjectivity, but it should be based on a semblance of reality and ranking should consistent through out. The article in his post seems too far removed from any kind of objective analysis.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

7-WSH
6- EDM & FLO

I find it funny how as soon as Edmonton shows some depth McDavid starts putting up video game numbers like everyone said he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad