Will the real Edmonton Oilers please stand up?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well this thread aged well.

It’s safe to say the Oilers are good enough to beat any team in the league. That doesn’t mean they are a contender. But with McDavid and Draisaitl playing the way they are, they’ll contend with anyone.
This thread made no claims to a demise or anything of the sort. I know because I started it. At the time they had gone through two very distinctly different runs of positive then negative results and I was simply asking for opinions on which stretch was truer to what we’d see over the course of the season.

There’s a difference between this thread title and other that proclaim a teams demise like “team is falling apart” or “team is bad” and threats that are titled similarly to those.

Reactions: Godstin Matthews

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I believe the Oilers are leading the league in games lost to injuries as well. Hopefully Larsson doesnt take long to get back into game shape

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I believe the Oilers are leading the league in games lost to injuries as well. Hopefully Larsson doesnt take long to get back into game shape

That’s a little misleading. It includes 20+ games of Brodziak and 20+ games of Larsson, neither of which have actually been missed this year.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That’s a little misleading. It includes 20+ games of Brodziak and 20+ games of Larsson, neither of which have actually been missed this year.
Really? Manning in the line up sure hurts. As well as Persson not ready either
Yes, I forgot that they are counting Brodziak. Although, if he was healthy I'd like to see him under Tippets system

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
WHat does the past 14 years have to do with right now? They’ve made it the past 3 years. What they did before JT, Marner and AM played for us is irrelevant. This is some of the worst logic I have ever seen.

They’ve also picked first overall way more than Toronto. Way more.

I have no leg in this race but why brag when your core failed to make it past round 1 numerous time.

The leafs core is a failure thus far.

Reactions: Porkleaker

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers top 5 in points and 18th in power rankings. Leafs of course are 8th overall... the media still loves the Leafs.

"Hey everyone, we here at Yahoo! Sports are doing real power rankings for teams Nos. 1-31. Here they are, based on only how I am feeling about these teams and their chances to win the Cup, meaning you can’t tell me I’m wrong because these are my feelings and feelings can’t be wrong. Please enjoy the Power Feelings."

NHL Power Rankings: Lightning return to Top 3 as Leafs continue to slide

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This thread made no claims to a demise or anything of the sort. I know because I started it. At the time they had gone through two very distinctly different runs of positive then negative results and I was simply asking for opinions on which stretch was truer to what we’d see over the course of the season.

There’s a difference between this thread title and other that proclaim a teams demise like “team is falling apart” or “team is bad” and threats that are titled similarly to those.
Your OP was harmless but I think most people who posted in it treated it as a "Falling apart" thread.

Reactions: koyvoo

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Your OP was harmless but I think most people who posted in it treated it as a "Falling apart" thread.

Really harmless? Isn't the OP a Leafs fan AND why did he have to frame it in the way he did saying "3 in the last 9"? The Oilers had a brief losing slump then went slightly above .500 after that.

It's like saying.. "After a decent start, the Leafs have now lost 5 straight and are 7th overall worst in SA/GP and GA/GP. Will the real Leafs please stand up?"

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I have no leg in this race but why brag when your core failed to make it past round 1 numerous time.

The leafs core is a failure thus far.
Sure but keep in mind the core is extremely young and year one we were expected to miss. The other 2 years we lost to a team favoured to win. And I’m not bragging, merely pointing it out when someone said our goaltending and defence keeps us out of the playoffs. Obviously that’s incorrect.

Last edited:

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Except I didn’t say we had success I said we continually make the playoffs so he went off topic and not really arguing against what I said. With this core we have not missed yet.
Re-read, and understand where you are coming from. This might be the first year if they don't get rid of some cancer whether that be players, bad coaching or the gm. They are too good to be this bad.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why are the Oil fans getting mad when people say it's all McDrai? Be proud of your stars. That's literally how good they are. McDrai has 76 GF and is 14-6-3. Pretty good.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Re-read, and understand where you are coming from. This might be the first year if they don't get rid of some cancer whether that be players, bad coaching or the gm. They are too good to be this bad.
Might be, might not be. It’s far too early to tell. I agree they are certainly playing well below par. Dubas obviously needs to go. I still say he rushed the AM contract far too early. He had tons of time to sign him, why sign him that early unless he takes a discount?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Why are the Oil fans getting mad when people say it's all McDrai? Be proud of your stars. That's literally how good they are. McDrai has 76 GF and is 14-6-3. Pretty good.

I think its all about the structured team defense. Mcdavid is just a cog in a machine of superiority.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
You are saying the Oilers DON'T miss their top pairing defender? Larsson is sorely missed for his hits alone and takeaways alone.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b

I can only speak for myself, but it's frustrating because the defense and goaltending this year has been great. Right now, the Oilers are 6th in the league in GA/G - the only teams better are Arizona, Dallas, Boston, NYI, and Pittsburgh.

It may not be the flashiest stat, but it's what's allowed them to win games. There's no doubt McDrai have been a huge part to the Oilers's success, but it's the team game that's lead to where they are right now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Because they have the best PP in the league, the third best PK, a defenseman on pace for 60 points, one of the best rookie defensemen in the league, another young, top pairing guy guy on pace for 35+ points, goalies ranked #9 and#16 in SV%, etc.

It's an oversimplification to take a shot at the team's success.

Obviously those two are a huge reason for it, but they aren't the only thing going for them right now.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Because they have the best PP in the league, the third best PK, a defenseman on pace for 60 points, one of the best rookie defensemen in the league, another young, top pairing guy guy on pace for 35+ points, goalies ranked #9 and#16 in SV%, etc.

It's an oversimplification to take a shot at the team's success.

Obviously those two are a huge reason for it, but they aren't the only thing going for them right now.
They have the best PP in the league because of McDrai. Klefbom is a 25 point D-man on pace for 60 points because he's on the ice for like 75% of all the pp time with McDrai.
Sure the goalies, undeniable, they're playing well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

100%. It is what it is

The Oilers D should be able to help out more and more with Bear looking so good and Larsson coming back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->