NFL: Will the Rams Super Bowl win encourage more teams to go all in on trades?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Rams haven’t picked in the first round since 2016, and still won’t for a few more seasons. They’ve been criticized for going this route but with 2 Super Bowl appearances and now a win, do more teams start to really go all in on their competitive windows?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Rams haven’t picked in the first round since 2016, and still won’t for a few more seasons. They’ve been criticized for going this route but with 2 Super Bowl appearances and now a win, do more teams start to really go all in on their competitive windows?
Well the Packers front office said they were willing to do it next year if Aaron Rodgers sticks around.

Reactions: MMC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It may stimulate more top players on bad teams to make a move rather than remain in a bad situation.

Like if Pitt can’t find a QB in the next 2 years then maybe TJ Watt should ask to move on. Brother JJ played years with Houston with mediocre QB play.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Back load a bunch of contracts with bonuses and voidable years and trade bodies for draft picks. Basically use up cap room down the road instead of next year.

I get that, I just feel like with Rodgers being who he is that it's much more risky than it was for the Saints with Brees.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I have been wanting the Packers to go all in for years, so hopefully.

You rarely see teams do so and LA has been going all in for a while now, even after years where they didn't go far.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You rarely see teams do so and LA has been going all in for a while now, even after years where they didn't go far.
That is a risk. Once you convert salary to Signing bonuses you will be eating a massive dead cap charge to move that player. If say Rodgers says in 2023 to trade him then GB is going to get hit with a big cap charge.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Do the Packers have the Cap space to go all in?

Packers are a perfect example of a team that needs to be doing this. They are struggling to get back to the Super Bowl, I fail to see why they would keep gambling on guys like Stokes and Love in the draft instead of trading them for stars to take advantage of the remainder of Rodgers’s career

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That is a risk. Once you convert salary to Signing bonuses you will be eating a massive dead cap charge to move that player. If say Rodgers says in 2023 to trade him then GB is going to get hit with a big cap charge.

If you manage to win the Super Bowl, that is all negated. I will gladly take another championship in return for cap hell.

Didn't work out for the Saints the last couple years but at least they did their best to take advantage of Brees/Paytons last run.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Packers are a perfect example of a team that needs to be doing this. They are struggling to get back to the Super Bowl, I fail to see why they would keep gambling on guys like Stokes and Love in the draft instead of trading them for stars to take advantage of the remainder of Rodgers’s career

Absolutely no one should defend the Love pick. Trading up to take him was even more ridiculous.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

Except that is exactly what the Seahawks have been doing since 2015 and it looks like time has finally come to pay the piper on that.

Works for some, fails massively for others.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Except that is exactly what the Seahawks have been doing since 2015 and it looks like time has finally come to pay the piper on that.

Hawks have drafted poorly over many years now. That hurts.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

When you have an elite QB you have to find a way to go for it IMO.

I just think it might be tougher for the Packers than it looks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What players would now consider trying to make their way out of their current situation? Like the way Stafford has.

wonder if this encourages players in their late 20’s to make their way out rather than wait til the twilight of their careers. Non QBs only have a certain shelf life to be great.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You can't take the Rams and what they did and use them as an example, because if I'm not mistaken for a few years prior the Rams were stockpiling the f*** out of draft picks and building their team that way. Then when they had built their team sufficiently, they realized their current and future picks were expendable because they'd had a ridiculous surplus in years past that they could "go for it" this year.

I don't know how many teams have had a surplus of draft picks in years past that can "go for it" next year. The Rams did things very efficiently. They get to reap the rewards now.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It will embolden other teams to try it, but here's the thing. There's only so many guys you can trade for without wasting your draft capital on players who won't get you over the top. The Rams have also done amazing work with late round defensive selection and defensive UDFA's. There's not room in the league for more than one team to successfully do this. Only one team can win every year, and only one team is going to do so well late in the draft. This year those two things aligned but that's not always going to be the case. There aren't that many players left when those fifth round picks come around every year.

ProdigalNuck

Dec 8, 2021
Going all in on FAs or trades only works when you already have the DPOY and your WR turns into the OPOY.

Stafford wasn't as big of a factor as some seem to think. He's just not as shitty as Goff.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You can't take the Rams and what they did and use them as an example, because if I'm not mistaken for a few years prior the Rams were stockpiling the f*** out of draft picks and building their team that way. Then when they had built their team sufficiently, they realized their current and future picks were expendable because they'd had a ridiculous surplus in years past that they could "go for it" this year.

I don't know how many teams have had a surplus of draft picks in years past that can "go for it" next year. The Rams did things very efficiently. They get to reap the rewards now.

I don't think this is correct. They actually gave up a bunch of picks so they could pick Goff #1.

You might be thinking of the RG3 trade where Washington gave them a crap ton of picks but that was a decade ago and none of those guys are on the current Rams AFAIK.

They became contenders right after hiring McVay & getting Goff/Gurley/Donald so they never really had a period where they could stockpile assets. They just got to a point where they went all in. It also helps that despite not having any high picks, you can still sign good players because of your location and the quality of your team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Absolutely no one should defend the Love pick. Trading up to take him was even more ridiculous.
Trading him now is probably the best thing they can do to help themselves as well and recoup the asset(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad