Speculation: Will the next game be the last for Price in a Habs' uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Quick answer: No.

Expanded answer: As hellbent as Price is to win on the ice, his life is settled and full off the ice with family and kids. At this stage in his life he's far less likely to want to uproot everyone and start again in a different city. Older vets who switch teams are usually forced to find employment elsewhere after their former team doesn't re-sign them.

Pursuing a Cup counts for a lot, but not everything.

TheBlob

Dec 26, 2010
I really don't think so.

I don't see Bergevin not protecting him for the expansion draft, and i don't see him being traded either.

And with getting so close to the Stanley Cup this year, i don't see how he would ask a trade by himself.

This may change if the team is terrible next year, which seems 100% sure according to this board, but we'll see in a couple of months.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Quick answer: No.

Expanded answer: As hellbent as Price is to win on the ice, his life is settled and full off the ice with family and kids. At this stage in his life he's far less likely to want to uproot everyone and start again in a different city. Older vets who switch teams are usually forced to find employment elsewhere after their former team doesn't re-sign them.

Pursuing a Cup counts for a lot, but not everything.

Your expanded is based on what? Your own whims?

At that stage of his career, many players opt to get closer to their hometown and entire family. Many players actually move after they're 35.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Price isn't going anywhere.

Close thread.

Yeah well, we'll see! I thought more people would understand/agree this is Price's last year with the Habs.

The disappointing part about this run is Bergevin may yet keep his job. If that's the case, Price probably stays.

But I still see MB getting let go. I think the new GM will want to move Price, do a proper rebuild, etc. Maybe Price will be with us for another season but that's it.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Price isn't going anywhere! He wants to go to a contender says the OP... WE ARE IN THE STANLY CUP FINALS!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah well, we'll see! I thought more people would understand/agree this is Price's last year with the Habs.

The disappointing part about this run is Bergevin may yet keep his job. If that's the case, Price probably stays.

But I still see MB getting let go. I think the new GM will want to move Price, do a proper rebuild, etc. Maybe Price will be with us for another season but that's it.

Price is staying whether MB is here or not. If Price is ever traded, it's towards the end of his deal. If not, he is retiring a Hab.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Bergevin finished 2nd for GM of the year and the team just went to the final. Molson is signing his extension papers as we speak. We’re stuck with him so talking like he’s going anywhere is pointless.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Not a chance. Bergy will never trade Price...ever. His employment is tied to Price. I also don't think Price is the type to demand a trade. His contract is also tough to move.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Apparently lebrun said something where Bergevin could be stepping down, with darche coming in?

I think this can be revisited if that happens, but I don't think Bergevin has any intentions of trading price at all.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
His trade value probably will never be as high.

but he's not going anywhere. The team can sell " we almost won the Cup" for the next 10 years.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I potentially see a Raymond Bourque type facilitation for both Price & Weber but not in the here & now

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
His heavy contract makes him untradeable. The NMC attached to it, even more difficult. I do see a trade happening to accommodate him in the near future, only so he can put his name on a Cup. After these playoffs though, the Habs will get the best value for him, however the cap would likely force the Habs to take back another heavy contract.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I realize his intention is to stay. He loves MTL. BUT, I'm thinking from a management perspective they will pressure him to accept a trade.
And how do you expect them to be able to trade him? His cap hit will stop most teams, so unless the Habs want to hurt their own cap situation but swallowing a huge chunk of his cap hit, it ain't going to happen.

Who replaces him?

As many have said, dude is going to be a Hab for life. Even if he asked for a trade, it would be almost impossible to trade him at this stage due to his age and cap hit.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Apparently lebrun said something where Bergevin could be stepping down, with darche coming in?

I think this can be revisited if that happens, but I don't think Bergevin has any intentions of trading price at all.
Wut? Darche the former player with no experience as a GM? He has all of 2 years, and two messed up hockey years, experience as Director of Hockey Ops in Tampa...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Amazing post. Will Price, who is playing in the Cup final right now, waive his no trade to go to contender. A team like Seattle or Van.

I sure hope for the OP’s sake this is a poor attempt at trolling. No one can be posting on a fan board and be this dense, right?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wut? Darche the former player with no experience as a GM? He has all of 2 years, and two messed up hockey years, experience as Director of Hockey Ops in Tampa...

I never heard about it directly, but multiple people here pointed it out that lebrun mentioned it. I think it was just before game 1 of the final.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The OP probably had good ideas at some point today, but creating this thread wasn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad