Speculation: Will the Leafs make the playoffs?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not trying to be a downer. Just looking to have a practical and unbiased conversation. I am as excited as all of you at how this season has gone thus far.

However a bit of curiosity caused me to check out how the leafs were doing at the 22 game mark of last season. Oddly enough the leafs record was as follows:

12W 8L 2OTL 26Pts 72GF 69GA +3 on a 1 game win streak (2nd in the conference).

compared to 2013 that lands us a record of

13W 9L 0OTL 26Pts 64GF 55GA +9 on a 1 game win streak (6th in the conference).

Now i ask, what do you guys see thats different about this years maple leafs compared to last years? Should we be confident in this team? We all know what happened to that 18 wheeler.

I have 2 words that explain why this team is better than last....goal differential. We are MUCH better defensively....our goalie numbers are VASTLY improved. Last year our bad defense caught up to us, this year (if we continue to be sound on D) that shouldn't happen.

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wow, relax. All he is saying is the Leafs will have to get better at home to make the playoffs. That may or may not be the case but its far from a pointless thread.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There is no comparison between last year's team and this year's team other than the win-loss record.

Carlyle's team plays a style that is far more condusive to success in the playoffs if the Leafs qualify, and this year's team has also shown greater resiliency in terms of preventing any prolonged losing streaks.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Not trying to be a downer. Just looking to have a practical and unbiased conversation. I am as excited as all of you at how this season has gone thus far.

However a bit of curiosity caused me to check out how the leafs were doing at the 22 game mark of last season. Oddly enough the leafs record was as follows:

12W 8L 2OTL 26Pts 72GF 69GA +3 on a 1 game win streak (2nd in the conference).

compared to 2013 that lands us a record of

13W 9L 0OTL 26Pts 64GF 55GA +9 on a 1 game win streak (6th in the conference).

Now i ask, what do you guys see thats different about this years maple leafs compared to last years? Should we be confident in this team? We all know what happened to that 18 wheeler.

You really don't see the difference in this years team? I mean you seem like a guy who knows his hockey, yet you think this team is even playing remotely close to last yeas team? Just by addition by subtraction (Lombari, Amrstrong, Connolly) we are a better team. From there you add Frattin and Kadri playing lights out (even with Kessel slumping and Lupul out since game 3) Then you can also add Scrivens playing better than the Monster and Riemer playing FAR better than last year, even with last nights ugly win. Dion is at the level he should be. Our D is playing much better, which leads to my next point, Carlyles system beating the pants off Wilsons system.

Oh and even during our "slump" without Riemer, Lupul and Frattin, we are winning games. We have yet to lose 2 in a row, and we will shortly have our full team back.

It is ok to be optimistic and happy about our team, it won't hurt. I promise.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I can say with 100% confidence that if the Leafs win enough games they will make the playoffs

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
apologies good sirs!

i forgot some hfboard users were pro-censorship ... i'll try to keep in check with what you deem acceptable to post in the future!

please inbox me a list of acceptable topics and times you troll the boards looking for unacceptable threads to whine about so i can please your royal presence in the future!

No good sir, you can post whatever you wish just like I can respond to it the way I did. Trick is not taking whatever is said on here personally ;)

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I think we know if this is a playoff worthy team come sunday next week. I also think Nonis will make a deal this weekend to get Gardiner back in the lineup (I believe Frattin is ready next week so him too).

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
One thing the Leafs have going for them is that they'll most likely win a tiebreaker if that's necessary with another team. Currently 2nd behind only the historically hot Blackhawks in ROW.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The leafs to reach the 54 point mark, need to get 28 more points in their next 26 games, if they can do that they get into the 8th spot.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
You really don't see the difference in this years team? I mean you seem like a guy who knows his hockey, yet you think this team is even playing remotely close to last yeas team? Just by addition by subtraction (Lombari, Amrstrong, Connolly) we are a better team. From there you add Frattin and Kadri playing lights out (even with Kessel slumping and Lupul out since game 3) Then you can also add Scrivens playing better than the Monster and Riemer playing FAR better than last year, even with last nights ugly win. Dion is at the level he should be. Our D is playing much better, which leads to my next point, Carlyles system beating the pants off Wilsons system.

Oh and even during our "slump" without Riemer, Lupul and Frattin, we are winning games. We have yet to lose 2 in a row, and we will shortly have our full team back.

It is ok to be optimistic and happy about our team, it won't hurt. I promise.

I am happy with the team. 2nd youngest in the league, and so far the most successful. Just wanted to get the majority of oppinions, because i know this time around last year there were reasons as to why it was a much improved group.

I personally believe that the attention to defense, along with our improved depth throughout the organization, paired with the fact that it is a shortened season significantly improves our chances of seeing the post season.

I just want us to be prepared for the worst. We have allowed 9GA in our passed two games, and 5 of our 9 losses our opponents have scored 4 goals or more. It shows that we are capable of having serious defensive breakdowns.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I am happy with the team. 2nd youngest in the league, and so far the most successful. Just wanted to get the majority of oppinions, because i know this time around last year there were reasons as to why it was a much improved group.

I personally believe that the attention to defense, along with our improved depth throughout the organization, paired with the fact that it is a shortened season significantly improves our chances of seeing the post season.

I just want us to be prepared for the worst. We have allowed 9GA in our passed two games, and 5 of our 9 losses our opponents have scored 4 goals or more. It shows that we are capable of having serious defensive breakdowns.

Not too worried about those 5 games, every team gets blown out. Go through the month of Feb and look at the teams who have let in 4 or more. (see: most)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebymonth.htm?month=201302

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad