Will the Leafs Limit Andersen’s Starts Next Season?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
What the goalie wa

What the goalie wants and what makes sense might be two different things. You’ll never see a player say they want to play less or admit they’re tired. I agree with the previous poster that said our spot sciences team should be all over it. If they don’t have enough of a voice, that’s something that I hope Dubas could fix.

If we have a sports Science department and they are not being utilized then we have screwed up management. Which then it's into question all decisions made by Shanny so far.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Play the back up more against weaker teams. Don't just rest Andersen on the second game of a back-to-back. Let's say we're playing Arizona on a Tuesday night with no game the night before or after, play the back up. There was no reason to ride Andy so hard this season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Because Andersen wanted to play.

Who cares what he wants?

People want a lot of stuff that's not in there best interests and since he's Leafs property he should be used in a way that best serves us

Your if was too small.
Love Sparks. The idea that he is in the same league as Andersen is unclear.
(note: he currently plays in a different league).
View attachment 118629

Only 24 though.

Is Sparks the likely backup next year ?

McElhinney, Curtis
View attachment 118631
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I guess Sparks will have to wait another year ?
McBackup did well for us this year.

I think Sparks has to go through waivers next year (which he won't get through) to play in the AHL so we may need to take what we can get for McBackup while his value is at its max and use Sparks as the backup

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Intuitively more rest in the regular season should improve playoff performance (or at the very least reduce the risk of imjury) but it would be interesting to see if there's any evidence from a sports science perspective to back it up.

A few numbers for discussion:

Stanley Cup winning goalies since 2005, Average # of games started during regular season: 46.4, Median games started in regular season: 51
Stanley Cup finals goalies since 2005, Average # of games started during regular season: 49.7, Median games started in regular season: 54

Historically in the cap era the vast majority of Stanley Cup winners and finalists have had starting goaltenders start less than 60 games during the regular season.

Doesn't necessarily mean correlation = causation but its something to think about.
That’s really interesting! I remember that so many team who had split duties did well in the playoffs. Happens that Fleury seems to be hitting his February prime now in the playoffs. Have to wonder if it’s a coincidence.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Who cares what he wants?

People want a lot of stuff that's not in there best interests and since he's Leafs property he should be used in a way that best serves us

I think Sparks has to go through waivers next year (which he won't get through) to play in the AHL so we may need to take what we can get for McBackup while his value is at its max and use Sparks as the backup

So you want to hand Sparks the job? Look I won't tell you I was on the Mcbackup train, I wasn't but that job belongs to him until Sparks or Pickard takes it from him

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So you want to hand Sparks the job? Look I won't tell you I was on the Mcbackup train, I wasn't but that job belongs to him until Sparks or Pickard takes it from him

If Sparks wasn't waiver eligible next season I'd agree with you but I'm unwilling to lose a 24 year old goaltender who's killing the AHL for a 34 year old career backup

It sucks but we're sort of stuck

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Look I wasn't a Mcbackup guy but why are we taking his job from him, he was phenomenal last Sparks, Pickard or anyone else should have to EARN that job

Why would we risk losing Sparks and/or Pickard to keep McE for one more season?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because they haven't earned the job simple as that.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!

Sparks was the AHL's best goaltender this year, and had one of the best seasons of all-time in the AHL.

Only 7 goaltenders (>30GP) had a season with better GAA and only 6 had a better SV%.

What more could Sparks have possibly done!?!

Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!

Sparks was the AHL's best goaltender this year, and had one of the best seasons of all-time in the AHL.

Only 7 goaltenders (>30GP) had a season with better GAA and only 6 had a better SV%.

What more could Sparks have possibly done!?!

He's got to earn it, he has to beat Mcbackup for it in camp.

The NHL is all that matters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If we have a sports Science department and they are not being utilized then we have screwed up management. Which then it's into question all decisions made by Shanny so far.

Well they do have one. Apparently it’s been a big investment for the team for the last few years. NHL teams are trying to play hardcore catchup to other leagues like the NBA who are much more advanced with it.

I think the case of Andersen getting as many starts is down to coaching biases/Babcock. The guy wants to win every night, Andersen is the best goalie in the organization and so he opts to roll with him so much.

I do hope this changes because Andersen looked burned out by the playoffs. And his subpar performance could potentially be the result of that.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo it has more to do with shot totals the games, Anderson faced over 22oo shots whereas Jonathon Quick who played only 3 less games faced just over 1850 shots. that's like 350 shots more. if as a team were giving up lots of shots yes he should be given more rest if we see a significantly reduction in shots against per game then no we don't need to rest him more.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
If Sparks projects to be an NHL starter then its Andersens job he needs to take! It's looking like Fred may have some mental issues to overcome,his playoff performance can be sited as the reason they lost. The numbers he put up are embarrassing for sure,but if it wasn't for his contract would he get another shot? Give Sparks a shot to vie for the #1 job,or look for a starter elsewhere.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No sorry... it’s a business and I hope our new GM will manage his assets properly.

The job belongs to the guy that put up the 930+ save% in the NHL until Sparks or Pickard takes it from him in camp, and if that happens I bet on Pickard since He's been an NHL backup

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The job belongs to the guy that put up the 930+ save% in the NHL until Sparks or Pickard takes it from him in camp, and if that happens I bet on Pickard since He's been an NHL backup
who gives a shit about camp? there's no point in losing a 24 year old who had a historically good AHL season in order to appease a 34 year old backup

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
who gives a **** about camp? there's no point in losing a 24 year old who had a historically good AHL season in order to appease a 34 year old backup

So you just want to hand him the job? that's not how life works you have to EARN it by being better than the competition, don't give a flying f*** about his AHL the NHL is ALL that matters, there are tons of guys great in the AHL but can't do f*** all in the NHL.

Besides Pickard exists too and he's actually been an NHL backup so if either guy takes over it's probably Pickard

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
So you just want to hand him the job? that's not how life works you have to EARN it by being better than the competition, don't give a flying **** about his AHL the NHL is ALL that matters, there are tons of guys great in the AHL but can't do **** all in the NHL.

Besides Pickard exists too and he's actually been an NHL backup so if either guy takes over it's probably Pickard
You're not handing the job to a scrub. You're giving it to the best AHL goalie in the league. It's asset management at this point. If Mac was a 27 year old goalie maybe you have a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad