Will the Growlers attendance increase following the Kelly Cup win?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
3600 people. Brutal
Not much comfort, but that number ain't that far off the Growlers' first season average. A second year team who had a summer of uncertainty is bound to struggle at the gate in the early going. But the new lease now offers an opportunity to build on last year's Kelly Cup win & convince more local hockey fans that the team is a legit entertainment option worth paying to see. Give the front office time to bail some more water outta the ship before declaring the team sunk.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and 210

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Not much comfort, but that number ain't that far off the Growlers' first season average. A second year team who had a summer of uncertainty is bound to struggle at the gate in the early going. But the new lease now offers an opportunity to build on last year's Kelly Cup win & convince more local hockey fans that the team is a legit entertainment option worth paying to see. Give the front office time to bail some more water outta the ship before declaring the team sunk.

It feels werid considering the icecaps sold out 120 games in a row

Growler

May 16, 2018
pretty awful for what we're used to. i think the problem is ticket prices and lack of media coverage
I think the bigger issue was the cloud looming over the Arena Deal all Summer scaring away Season ticket holders. I think there will be a slow, steady increase year over year.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
It feels werid considering the icecaps sold out 120 games in a row
Because the economy was mad with that oil money and they were the farm team for the Jets(who just were resurrected from the grave).

I'd argue there's a wider gap between the ECHL and AHL than there is between the AHL and NHL.

Newfoundland would of been way better off if they pumped money into Newfoundland senior hockey.

With social media and all that the League could automatically be huge.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I just scrolled through a few Growlers online stories on The Telegram's website....sure seemed like a lot of stories to me.
Unfair dig. Some of us barely have enough time in our day to scroll through a thousand or so fascinating & informative HF Boards threads.

Reactions: 210

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
related to the Growlers championship:

the Kelly Cup, THAT apparently had been THE Center of a dispute BETWEEN the ECHL and the Colorado Eagles was returned to the league VIA Newfoundland LAST MONTH...the Cup that was recommissioned and awarded to Newfoundland WILL stay with the Growlers, THE Previous Cup will return to circulation this year to be awarded by Patrick Kelly....

SOURCE: ECHL Cxommunications/ECHL.Com

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
ECHL receives returned Kelly Cup
Here's a link to the story so everyone else doesn't have to search for it. Seems weird that the Growlers will keep the "replacement" cup. Maybe they paid for it? Otherwise why wouldn't the league take possession of both and keep the extra one for occasions where two teams want to have it for the same night, or if the "true" cup got damaged and wasn't available for a short time? (like every summer when it has to be repaired after the champs break it.)

Growler

May 16, 2018
Here's a link to the story so everyone else doesn't have to search for it. Seems weird that the Growlers will keep the "replacement" cup. Maybe they paid for it? Otherwise why wouldn't the league take possession of both and keep the extra one for occasions where two teams want to have it for the same night, or if the "true" cup got damaged and wasn't available for a short time? (like every summer when it has to be repaired after the champs break it.)

A few of the players broke it while at a peeler club and it had to be welded back together. The weld is highly visible.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
true, but why take it to begin with when you've already paid the fee to exit, knowing they had to upgrade the arena anyway to meet the requirement for AHL Approval, Colorado should pay the ECHL a set fee on top of their exit fee FOR the expense of having to design a 3rd Kelly Cup, as I recall when this first was reported in St. John's the Eagles ECHL franchise had devalued to 70K.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
A few of the players broke it while at a peeler club and it had to be welded back together. The weld is highly visible.
So, pretty much the same as the old one, and every other summer? I remember a picture of it floating in a pool making the rounds on Facebook after the Royals won. They seriously need to spend a couple extra bucks and make it out of something more durable, or change the design.

kelly-cup-pool-photoshop.jpg

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Seems weird that the Growlers will keep the "replacement" cup. Maybe they paid for it? Otherwise why wouldn't the league take possession of both ...?

It's all part of a League-wide conspiracy against Newfoundland. The trophy once held hostage by the Eagles' owners does not have the Growlers team & staff names engraved on it. So now the ECHL can omit the 2019 Champions & claim a Canadian team never won THE Kelly Cup. :nono:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad