Will the Canucks trade Alexander Edler for 1st rounders?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Sure. I'll buy that. Let's face it, while Edler is signed to a decent deal given the price of UFA Dmen nowadays, Edler isn't going to be the #1 Dman we hoped for. He isn't even as offensively productive as before. At this point, would Yandle and Goligoski be a downgrade? I don't think so. But if the Canucks fail to sign those two, Hamhuis should be an easy sign. While I would consider him a downgrade in the offensive department, overall it shouldn't be that much of a downgrade for the next 2 years or so.

I don't know what the mandate is my guess is similar to your guess. I'm not saying it's something Benning will do, but it's something I want Benning to do and my point is that it would be an easy sell to the fan base. To ownership? Who knows.

I think we probably agree with where Edler is at but I don't think that changes the fact he's still the only Canuck defenseman with an offensive flair (albeit quite minimal) though Hutton is developing he could easily take a step back considering he is so young and was never that highly touted.

So now you trade away you best offensive defenseman (I know its cringe worthy to say) and you can only hope to replace him with a FA whom youll probably have to sign for 2 or 3 more yrs than you really want to at a dollar figure thats too high. If you can even sign 1 of the maybe 2-3 that would actually be equal or better d man. Also hoping they don't get signed before FA too.

It's basically a no brainer to hang on to him for at least the first half of this season to see where this team is heading. Even if you are sure its down Benning simply must keep him. Unless of course a steal presents itself in the form of semi developed offensively gifted left handed d man.

Trading your no. 1 d man for a draft pick is a sure way for Benning to get fired.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hutton is not young he's 24 he's basically at his peak.

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm given the Gudbranson discussions that have taken place but they are not in the same situation. Hutton just completed his rookie season. If he had played 4 seasons in the league I would agree that it's likely that he's closer to his potential but as of right now I would say he still has a lot of room to grow as a player.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm given the Gudbranson discussions that have taken place but they are not in the same situation. Hutton just completed his rookie season. If he had played 4 seasons in the league I would agree that it's likely that he's closer to his potential but as of right now I would say he still has a lot of room to grow as a player.

what about phil kessel.

its all enviroment fam

ur future looks a lot brighter playing with ben hutton in vancouver than florida with brian campell but thats just me

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I could have sworn they did. I cant find it though so yea I'd call it baseless speculation. I swear I heard it before :huh:. Must be losing my marbles.

I don't think they did. I mean before the NTC kicked in, Linden declared that Edler wasn't going anywhere. He then ended up having a nice bounceback season alongside Tanev and the Canucks made the playoffs. Hard to believe they would have wanted to trade Edler last summer. And then this season, I believe Edler was injured by the time the deadline came around?

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask

And yes I'm being sarcastic, I love Hutton and think he'll blossom with gudbranson, he'll be able to take more risks.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
if canucks were smart, they shouldn't hesitate to trade him. follow that up by overpaying to get a ufa dman. this way they can do what the organization wants, compete and retool at the same time.

Last edited:

terhmlee

Jul 10, 2007
very sad. The Canucks should do more ahead to aquire Keith Yandle like Florida does.
A sixth round pick for the right of Keith Yandle.
After getting the right, the Canucks can trade Edler.
Up until now, no result shows no matter how much work already done at the back.
Disappointed.

Do they really know how to make players into tradable assets for the team???

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
very sad. The Canucks should do more ahead to aquire Keith Yandle like Florida does.
A sixth round pick for the right of Keith Yandle.
After getting the right, the Canucks can trade Edler.
Up until now, no result shows no matter how much work already done at the back.
Disappointed.

Do they really know how to make players into tradable assets for the team???

???????

Uh...what?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Time to let the Keith Yandle dream die, it was never happening. Focus on re-signing Hamhuis without a NMC and stop the nonsense about trading Edler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad