Will the Canucks trade Alexander Edler for 1st rounders?

terhmlee

Jul 10, 2007
Now with the right side defenceman settled. Does it seem to be a signal that they may trade Alexander Edler for the 1st rounders of this year?

I think more and more this could be the assets the Canucks can trade away to get back huge returns because:

a) after losing Edler, they still have plenty of left hand defencemen:
Tryamkin
Hamhuis (then the Canucks can resign him to mentor the defence crop)
Hutton
Sbisa
etc.

b) this is the only most valuable assets that can attract other teams to give the Canucks first rounders.

Some crazy thought that is even trading Edler to the Oilers for the fourth pick to get both PLD and Logan Brown to finish off the rebuilding of the first line.

The canucks will then have a really really mean first line with Brock Broser on the right wing, PLD on the left and Logan Brown in the middle.

Last edited:

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
It be great if we could trade him for 4 but doubt oilers would do it and with Benning wanting a playoff team next year, he wouldn't trade him for a prospect

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
i would do it for the 4th overall but not less. Id also want Tkachuk and Dubois not Dubois and Brown.

Tkachuk-Dubois-Boeser >>>>> Dubois-Brown-Boeser IMO.

I'd NEED it to be a top 7 pick though.

Hutton-Tanev
Hamhuis-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Tryamkin
Larsen
Pedan is pretty gross.

terhmlee

Jul 10, 2007
I also like Edler very much, but to get into the transition of next generation of player quickly, we have to give up something we have in order to get back a prospect / some prospects back.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think they will. But I hope they do for a big package of futures or a top 10 pick. They can sign a UFA to replace Edler or just Hamhuis.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Edler is not going anywhere this year and rightfully shouldn't. We have a decent top 4 now why break it up?

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson

It's because there are potentially some good puckmoving LD available this year who can potentially replace Edler. If Edler can net a big return, even re-signing Hamhuis to replace Edler might leave the Canucks better off.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If Edler can return a massive prize, sure.

But, how many trust Benning not to **** the deal up in most spectacular way possible?

He's gonna trade Edler+6th rounder for a 2nd rounder and tell us oh this is the best I can do.

terhmlee

Jul 10, 2007
The idea is get the future first line done this year. Then, they will be about at the same age and will be able to develop pretty much the same time period (although certain player like Logan Brown may take 1 or 2 year longer to develop, especially his position playing is "centre".) It is not about to trade a player because of him available to trade.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
We should have traded him a few years ago when his value was even higher. But I can't see us trading him with this clown managment/ownership group so hellbent on making the playoffs. Even then he has a full NTC and doesn't seem like he would waive.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'd rather trade Hansen while his value is at it's highest, probably could get a high 2nd to pick a dman there.

I think after the Gudbranson deal, dealing Hansen for a lesser 2nd round pick would look really really bad. And quite frankly, I wouldn't trade Hansen for the 33rd overall. You'll have to be really lucky and or really good at drafting to get a Hansen calibre player with a high 2nd round pick.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Tryamkin (plays the right side, unproven)
Hamhuis (unsigned no guarantee he'll be here.)
Hutton (only his 2nd nhl season are we expecting him to be our #1 LD?)
Sbisa (nuff said.)
etc.

We aren't in that great shape without Edler. Moving him would force guys to "punch above their weightclass," to borrow a line from Trev.

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I think after the Gudbranson deal, dealing Hansen for a lesser 2nd round pick would look really really bad. And quite frankly, I wouldn't trade Hansen for the 33rd overall. You'll have to be really lucky and or really good at drafting to get a Hansen calibre player with a high 2nd round pick.

Nah, in a year or two he'll be like Burrows, value diminishing, sometimes it's good to sell high on a player.

Hansen had a career year, I don't think he'll be replicating that, he'll go back to averaging 15-17 ish goals per, he's replaceable with a better scorer like Eriksson, or just use his spot for Burrows for a season till Boeser is ready in 2017.

Plus Hansen is a UFA in two years in which we might not be able to afford his pay raise probably $4M+ per, like Brouwer will get this offseason.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Nope. Not only has he repeatedly refused to waive, management as a whole (owners included) want to push for the playoffs. Trading Edler goes against that mindset, thus he'll be here for the long haul.

Nah, in a year or two he'll be like Burrows, value diminishing, sometimes it's good to sell high on a player.

Hansen had a career year, I don't think he'll be replicating that, he'll go back to averaging 15-17 ish goals per, he's replaceable with a better scorer like Eriksson, or just use his spot for Burrows for a season till Boeser is ready in 2017.

Plus Hansen is a UFA in two years in which we might not be able to afford his pay raise probably $4M+ per, like Brouwer will get this offseason.

Burrows and Hansen are completely different players. Not to mention Hansen will only be 31. At that age, Burrows was putting up 60 points. While it's nice to sell high, you also need veterans to ease your young core into the NHL. I would much prefer to keep Hansen as he's worked alongside Horvat quite well, and making Horvat a better player is more important than even a 1st.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Now with the right side defenceman settled. Does it seem to be a signal that they may trade Alexander Edler for the 1st rounders of this year?

I think more and more this could be the assets the Canucks can trade away to get back huge returns because:

Tryamkin
Hamhuis (then the Canucks can resign him to mentor the defence crop)
Hutton
Sbisa
etc.

b) this is the only most valuable assets that can attract other teams to give the Canucks first rounders.

Some crazy thought that is even trading Edler to the Oilers for the fourth pick to get both PLD and Logan Brown to finish off the rebuilding of the first line.

The canucks will then have a really really mean first line with Brock Broser on the right wing, PLD on the left and Logan Brown in the middle.

I would swear that Tryamkin is right side and Sbisa is not a D,something more of a black hole.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id do Edler and low-mid prospect to Montreal for 9 overall and Emelin

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Edler is not going anywhere this year and rightfully shouldn't. We have a decent top 4 now why break it up?

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson

And this will be useful for what? Lower picks?

I'm not desperate to trade Edler as you never really know when a team is back on track again (Hutton came from "nowhere" so if you get lucky with a couple of players all of a sudden you are in the play-offs), but for a good offer it would make a lot of sense. "Wasting" his best years when the rest of the team is not ready doesn't make much sense. Would definitely trade him for a high first rounder.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
One less player we need to worry about for expansion draft
So sure
I'd be down for it

Doubt ownership would be though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad