Will the Canucks trade Alexander Edler for 1st rounders?

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
After Keith Yandle, the next possible left will be Kris Russell....

Their D is as follows:

Gudbranson
Larsen
Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Biega
Pedan
Sbisa
Tryamkin

Where is there room for a Kris Russell? Who from the above would they move? Even if you consider Larsen, Biega and Pedan as #7 type guys, that still leaves Gudbranson, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Tryamkin and Sbisa. Are one of those guys getting moved? If so, who? Not Tanev, not Gudbranson, not Hutton. Who then? Sbisa? Who would take him? Tryamkin? Doubt it. Edler? Edler says no.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Any sensible GM would have given Edler an NTC on his current contract, which is still excellent value for a #2/borderline #1 defenceman.

Though I don't expect you to admit that.

I'd say a full NTC is a bit overkill, but at $5M, he's underpaid based on when he signed his deal. That said, he's not a borderline #1. He's a #3/4, borderline #2.

terhmlee

Jul 10, 2007
Their D is as follows:

Gudbranson
Larsen
Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Biega
Pedan
Sbisa
Tryamkin

Where is there room for a Kris Russell? Who from the above would they move? Even if you consider Larsen, Biega and Pedan as #7 type guys, that still leaves Gudbranson, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Tryamkin and Sbisa. Are one of those guys getting moved? If so, who? Not Tanev, not Gudbranson, not Hutton. Who then? Sbisa? Who would take him? Tryamkin? Doubt it. Edler? Edler says no.
You have to know which side the defencemen play:

Gudbranson (right)
Larsen (right); but not signed yet
Edler (left)
Tanev (right)
Hutton (left)
Biega ? (I don't remember he plays right or left), but he should be only a depth defenceman.)
Pedan (left)
Sbisa (left)
Tryamkin (left)

Roberto Lu bongo

Apr 14, 2016
You have to know which side the defencemen play:

Gudbranson (right)
Larsen (right); but not signed yet
Edler (left)
Tanev (right)
Hutton (left)
Biega ? (I don't remember he plays right or left), but he should be only a depth defenceman.)
Pedan (left)
Sbisa (left)
Tryamkin (left)

Tryamkin plays the right side

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd say a full NTC is a bit overkill, but at $5M, he's underpaid based on when he signed his deal. That said, he's not a borderline #1. He's a #3/4, borderline #2.

Any player of Edler's stature gets a full NTC on a UFA-years deal.

And honestly, why is this tread still active? There is a roughly equal chance we trade for Crosby at the draft.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
And honestly, why is this tread still active? There is a roughly equal chance we trade for Crosby at the draft.

Yeah, this regime is fully focused on the playoffs regardless of how slim of a chance we have.

But with the news that Demers and Russell will test free agency (and Goligoski being traded to Arizona and probably signing soon), Dallas would be a prime target for Edler. There isn't much left in free agency, especially if Florida locks up Yandle as well. Their defense is certainly lacking and very inexperienced if they lose all three of them to free agency.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Now with the right side defenceman settled. Does it seem to be a signal that they may trade Alexander Edler for the 1st rounders of this year?

I think more and more this could be the assets the Canucks can trade away to get back huge returns because:

a) after losing Edler, they still have plenty of left hand defencemen:
Tryamkin
Hamhuis (then the Canucks can resign him to mentor the defence crop)
Hutton
Sbisa
etc.

b) this is the only most valuable assets that can attract other teams to give the Canucks first rounders.

Some crazy thought that is even trading Edler to the Oilers for the fourth pick to get both PLD and Logan Brown to finish off the rebuilding of the first line.

The canucks will then have a really really mean first line with Brock Broser on the right wing, PLD on the left and Logan Brown in the middle.

you aint getting the 4th four Edler

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
the OP here has asked a subtle, nuanced question. Unfortunately, those replying to the thread have not addressed the intricacy of the query.

The question is not will the Canucks trade Edler for a 1st rounder. It is: will the Canucks trade Edler for 1st rounders?

The answer is clear. Hell yeah! Probably around a half dozen 1st rounders. 1st ROUNDERZ!!!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With Yandle and Goligoski gone, there's really no replacement for Edler on the UFA market. Still, if there is a great deal for Edler I would trade him and re-sign Hamhuis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad