Will The Avs Trade Bleackley This Season??

avalanche2014*

Can't help but feel the avs will try and deal Bleackley for a LW on Duchene's line this season. I don't believe they truly love his skill set and it makes sense to deal him when he has some value.

member 116861

Trade him for Jared McCann or David Pastrnak. ****

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They should sign him and let him develop because he's going to be a good player. His skill set is something we could really use in the bottom six.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Bleackley is part of the future shutdown line with Compher so no lets not trade him. He's 19 and a late 1st who generally take 2-3 years to make the big club. His ELC status is the only reason why people think he doesn't have a future here. Plus he's an Avs fan so he wont be tough to keep long-term.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
No. We are not going to bring in another highish contract, or any more cheap 3rd liners who might fit. We still have 2 big contracts to get done, and if the talk of Radulov is true there is really no way we can afford anyone else. And it would just be dumb to trade Bleackley for a 1 year rental.

I really don't get why some of you guys think they don't like him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They don't love his skillset when he's the perfect defensive forward that can realistically be developed through the system and play on the team some day? There aren't many forwards in the system to begin with and even fewer centers. There is absolutely no reason to get rid of him. I get that he could get packaged, hell anyone could. I'm not going to say it's impossible but he doesn't hold enough value on his own (or with whatever other parts you want to conjure up) to bring back a top 6 winger. His value is in the type of player he might be able to develop into.

Yeah it's stupid he hasn't been signed, I'm downright pissed about it. The guy doesn't need this sort of negative attention because of the perception that he's a failed prospect because they haven't signed him. How many other prospects have they even signed in the last year? Two. Geertsen and Rantanen because they had to. If Wood and Meloche were in any other org they probably would have been signed by now. If they were signing guys left and right and not him then that would speak to that it's him.

Second, he had a great camp and outlasted many guys, even AHLers. Roy wouldn't have given him three games for charity. He also chose to praise him in his post game presser. So if he had a disappointing camp last year then he turned it around this year. This kid has done nothing but carry his junior team and has done what's been asked of him but he's a failed prospect at 19 because of some perceptions and what's been spread around the internet about him. He might not be the perfect prospect but he doesn't have to be to get an ELC. EVERY first round pick gets one. He just has to be better than some of the bums on expiring ELCs. It's so stupid that this is even a question or a situation.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Maybe if the team takes off and they package him for a star. But I doubt that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Only reason they'd trade him is in a package for an impact player, and after the ROR trade, I don't see them making that any time soon. They don't really need a player like that anyway, especially if Radulov is part of their plan next year.

If Roy hasn't moved on from Hishon yet for the sake of keeping depth and not giving up on a former 1st rounder, he's not moving Bleackley who's younger, and a hell of a lot closer to his preferred style of play anyway.

I can't help but think not signing him yet is a similar tough love approach to Roy's comments about him, and Sutter's similar tough love comments about him last year, on his conditioning. He kept him up waaayyy past what we all expected, just to show him he likes what he's seen so far, but didn't sign him just yet to send a message that he has to keep working hard and not get complacent.

It's not traditional, but maybe we see a deal signed towards the middle-end of his regular season, after a solid showing.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Our center and RW depth is pretty good now, especially if Rendulic delivers, but I wouldn't count Bleackley out just yet. He didn't stick around so long at training camp just on a whim. And he looked pretty hot in the preseason too. It's certainly worrying that Sakic hasn't given him an ELC, but I can't imagine that not offering him one would make him more desirable on the trade market if those are their plans.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Why would they trade him? They just drafted him recently and he has all of the attributes they love.

Extremely unlikely. They wouldn't get anything to make it worth it. In other words, if you're expecting a line mate that elevates Duchene (as mentioned in the OP's premise), it's not going to happen, unless it's possibly because of they're taking a bad contract.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Extremely unlikely. They wouldn't get anything to make it worth it. In other words, if you're expecting a line mate that elevates Duchene (as mentioned in the OP's premise), it's not going to happen, unless it's possibly because of they're taking a bad contract.

Not necessarily true. It doesn't take a superstar forward to elevate Duchene, it just takes a forward with creative offensive instincts. Some of Duchene's best hockey was when he played with Fleischmann, Mueller, and Parenteau before he sucked. All three players are creative offensively.

I don't count O'Reilly because he is fantastic at all aspects of the game, and from the moment they were paired together I knew those two would have success.

But Bleackley won't (and shouldn't) be traded

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Not necessarily true. It doesn't take a superstar forward to elevate Duchene, it just takes a forward with creative offensive instincts. Some of Duchene's best hockey was when he played with Fleischmann, Mueller, and Parenteau before he sucked. All three players are creative offensively.

I don't count O'Reilly because he is fantastic at all aspects of the game, and from the moment they were paired together I knew those two would have success.

But Bleackley won't (and shouldn't) be traded

I never said anything about it requiring a super star. Nor would I because that's not even realistic. Bleackley for a super star? Yeah, right. For it to be worth it, it would require someone good, however. Even that type of player wouldn't available unless there's a bad contract involved.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
We need these young players on ELC in our roster. Otherwise our roster becomes too expensive. He could be in NHL next season. Patience patience.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think id feel more comfortable even talking about this kid if he was under contract. When does it become absolutely crucial to make a decision on him before he re-enters the draft?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it really depends on the first half or so of the season. If the Avs are playing well and in the thick of the playoff race in Jan/Feb, I think Bleacks could be a part of a package to shore up the team. If the Avs are not in that trade market, I don't think he will be traded.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sign him or trade him. Just do something. I'd certainly prefer the former, but damn, don't let him walk for free next summer

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Just a hunch that Avs aren't fond of his conditioning. I could see him being traded. I wouldn't have a problem with it, he's not exactly a cant miss prospect.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not if they haven't made him an offer. That player they'd get at 53 with two less years of development time will be so much more valuable. This org has so many forward prospects that they can just afford to get rid of their best one (mikko is not a prospect for long)

They weren't fond of him but played him in 3 preseason games :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad