Will the Avs finally make the playoffs?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And 3 of 4 of those guys were back in the lineup for practice yesterday too and it still looked horrid. I'm sure everyone's lineup is passable with zero injuries, which almost never is the case. They signed a lot of guys to plug in, there's options at least but it's still a stretch to fill out a proper top 6 and a good 3rd line. It's not an easy thing and most teams have some hole but it's still probably the biggest thing that will hold this team back.

I think the Avs have enough depth to form a good top 9 in time, but the question is more at center than anywhere else. If MacK, Soda, and Duchene are all to play in the top 6... then I don't see an adequate #3C on the team (maybe Grigo can develop into one, but that is a large unknown). A top 6 with MacK, Soda, Duchene, Landy, and Rants should be pretty solid (maybe even very good) by the middle of the season. There is enough talent for the other 4 spots, it is more of a question of if those players can play the role required or will it have to be spread out so somebody can take over the #3C role.

In short, I think there are enough good top 9 players to make 3 good lines, but center is the big question.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
And 3 of 4 of those guys were back in the lineup for practice yesterday too and it still looked horrid. I'm sure everyone's lineup is passable with zero injuries, which almost never is the case. They signed a lot of guys to plug in, there's options at least but it's still a stretch to fill out a proper top 6 and a good 3rd line. It's not an easy thing and most teams have some hole but it's still probably the biggest thing that will hold this team back.

What you get out of your role players is more on the coaches than the players themselves. If other teams were actually THAT much deeper than us we could just go crazy with waiver claims.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think they'll end up between 90-97 points and who knows if it's enough with how crazy it's been lately.

It all hinges on the core. Varlamov, Landeskog, EJ and MacKinnon has to all be better than last season. Not slightly better. Significantly better.

Rantanen being not only NHL ready but a minor impact player would help as well.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I agree with what my interpretation of what Brick was saying. Yes, the depth on this team is a bit questionable, but not as bad as some people seem to think.

I would like to see us pick up another NHL level bottom 6 guy. It doesn't have to be right away, and we can probably get by without. But in an ideal world....

We already have 15 forwards currently on the roster, plus Compher and whoever else can fill in from SA. The bottom of the roster should be fine. A top6 winger or a good 3c is what we would ideally pick up.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't think the Avs will make the playoffs. They need significant improvement from too many veteran core players (Johnson, Varlamov, Landeskog, MacKinnon), and significant development from too many young guys (Zadorov, Rantanen, Grigorenko).

If those things all happen, it's possible. I doubt it though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

So Comeau, Iginla, and Rantanen joining Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Soderberg, Grigorenko, and Colborne is a team with depth issues?

We've often stated having John Mitchell as the 4th line centre is a luxury since he's one of the best in the league at the 4C slot. This team doesn't have depth issues at forward. When injuries hit, sure. But that's for every team.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think the Avs have enough depth to form a good top 9 in time, but the question is more at center than anywhere else. If MacK, Soda, and Duchene are all to play in the top 6... then I don't see an adequate #3C on the team (maybe Grigo can develop into one, but that is a large unknown). A top 6 with MacK, Soda, Duchene, Landy, and Rants should be pretty solid (maybe even very good) by the middle of the season. There is enough talent for the other 4 spots, it is more of a question of if those players can play the role required or will it have to be spread out so somebody can take over the #3C role.

In short, I think there are enough good top 9 players to make 3 good lines, but center is the big question.

That's how I see it. All depends how they structure the centers. With MacK, Duchene and Yeti (I would give Grigo the benefit of the doubt as well after the preseason he had) in the top6 the third line is going to look bad without one of those guys at 3C, especially with Mitchell out who would at least be adequate in that role.

_____ - Mack - Duchene
Lando - Yeti - _______
_____ - Grigo - Rantanen
_____ - Mitchell - _____
Smith (quality 4C)

I think we have the wingers to fill in the spots in the top 6. We definitely have the wingers for the bottom 6. But I don't like the thought of Smith or Colborne at 3C, or one of the wingers. That one change makes the bottom 6 look bad imo.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the biggest change of the year (and the reason why we have a decent shot at postseason play) is Bednar. I've said for a year now that Roy was a basement level, disorganized coach and was outclassed nightly. We have the talent to make the big show, although clearly not enough to challenge. The difference will be the coaching, I won't guarantee it, but if we barely missed last year with this roster and an awful bench boss, we have a better than even chance to pass Minnie and Winnipeg for that last Wild Card spot.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I think Colorado has been under performing a while and now central division will be caught with their pants down

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's really not.

The core has to hold up their end of the bargain but Grigo, Mikko being solid top 6 players and Z being a solid top 4 player is what would make a huge difference. 85-95 is the range pretty much.

TV, did you watch the Hawks / Blues game yesterday?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think the biggest change of the year (and the reason why we have a decent shot at postseason play) is Bednar. I've said for a year now that Roy was a basement level, disorganized coach and was outclassed nightly. We have the talent to make the big show, although clearly not enough to challenge. The difference will be the coaching, I won't guarantee it, but if we barely missed last year with this roster and an awful bench boss, we have a better than even chance to pass Minnie and Winnipeg for that last Wild Card spot.

I think this is the right question to ask, we will see.

Personally, I think Roy was a good motivator but he didn't have the X & Os assistant that was needed. Maybe it was he ego that prevented him from hiring the right guy, I don't know.

I think that the talent level on this team, overall is pretty much or at least very close to what we had last year. So if the team plays significantly better under Bednar, I think we'll have our answer.

While young players will improve and a few guys could take a step forward, we did not add any significant Top-6 forward or Top-4 d-men. So unless we are winning and it's only because Varly is standing on his head nightly (that will be obvious as well) the change in coaching philosophies should be glaring.

It's also possible that we won't we that great again this year and look a lot like we did last year despite the new systems/structure and finish out of the playoffs, where most 'experts' believe we will finish.

At that point, it will be time to point the finger at the talent on the roster, imo.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Well, if the young core players show some development they should be able to take the next step, otherwise no.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My gut says we're a playoff team this year, but the central is so tough. It's hard to pick any team that we're clearly better than. There are several I think we're about even with.

If we're healthy and Zadorov looks competent next to EJ, I think we're in. Those are big "ifs" though.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Like I say, if people watched how The Blues played yesterday, I think they could understand we are a ways off competing right now. A ways.

Until I saw that game, I was actually quite confident. Boy, they are machines.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
If I had to put money on it... I would probably say that we will finish just outside of the playoffs. Simply because the Central will be brutal again this year.

Trusting my gut has us competing to win the division again. Much like Roy's first season here. We always seem to exceed expectations during that first year with a new coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad