Will the Avs finally make the playoffs?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I expect the Avs to compete for a spot, but fall a bit short. Not good enough on defense yet, and not deep enough up front.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Nope, and im totally ok with that. Let the kiddies play, hell let them all just play
We got some cap space next year, ill up my expectations if we sign some real players

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Depends on Varly.

If we get god like Varly we'll get in.
If we get bad Varly and have to mix it with Pickard we will finish last in the Central.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Depends on Varly.

If we get god like Varly we'll get in.
If we get bad Varly and have to mix it with Pickard we will finish last in the Central.

That's not quite fair.

Bad Varly is still a league average goalie. In past seasons we've needed a far better than average goalie, but if the team can improve we can make it.

And if Varly takes a nosedive, Pickard has played phenominally, albeit with a much smaller sample size.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That's not quite fair.

Bad Varly is still a league average goalie. In past seasons we've needed a far better than average goalie, but if the team can improve we can make it.

Bad Varly is worse than average.

Even so, the difference in finishing bottom in the central and making the playoffs isn't as far separated as you guys think. It's not like I said God like Varly will give us the presidents trophy while bad Varly will have us finishing last. 3rd worst team in the central likely makes the playoffs this year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Varly was much worse last year then the year previous which is included in those stats.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I say no but they will put up a strong fight all season. I just think Chicago, Nashville, St. Louis, and Dallas are all better teams and I don't predict 5 Central teams making the playoffs

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They're on pace to go 82-0 counting the preseason, so yes...they're in

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
104-0, including the preseason, when all is said and done.

104-1-0

They'll want to win it at home afterall.

Seriously though, I think we've got a playoff spot in sight and it will once again come down to random luck, injuries, streaky play to determine which of the very close 4-7 teams in the central come out on top.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't necessarily expect them to but at the same time, if they're holding down a wildcard spot within the first two months of the season then I'd want Sakic to be active and make a move to improve the team if he can (we have a weak bottom 6 so just a good bottom 6er who can be a good role player and add depth would be improvement enough, a Matthias type).

He is eventually gonna need to do something to bring in another top 4 dman someway and somehow and although I don't expect him to do it before the expansion draft, hope he keeps his ear to the ground if a top 4 dman becomes available.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Iffy at best but I'll say yes because I'm optimistic.

Definitely, if the team is in the same position as it was at the end of last year. I don't think they'd fall apart like they did then.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He still posted a 91.42% though, which is respectable. And single season goalie stats are always a little random.

I don't see .914 as respectable which I guess is where we differ. And yes single season goalie stats are random which is why i think varly matters. If Varly has another "random" .914 season I don't feel confident in the team. If Varlamov has a random .927 season I think we're in the playoffs quite comfortably.

The randomness of Varlamov's stats are why I'm unsure of which one we'll get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad