Will the 2005 WJCs be on TV in the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Normally I get to watch the WJCs on the NHL Center Ice package. What about this year? Will ESPN2 or possibly even FSN pick it up seeing as how it's in the US?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would think someone would pick up US games since we won it last year. Maybe ESPN will put out ESPN's feed.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
I would think someone would pick up US games since we won it last year. Maybe ESPN will put out ESPN's feed.

I hope so, but knowing ESPN, they may just put on bowling :cry: .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jacobv2 said:
Normally I get to watch the WJCs on the NHL Center Ice package. What about this year? Will ESPN2 or possibly even FSN pick it up seeing as how it's in the US?

Center Ice showed it through the New York tv though. First year it was the Yes network, then last year it was empire I believe. Before that they used TSN's feed out of Canada.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
montreal said:
Center Ice showed it through the New York tv though. First year it was the Yes network, then last year it was empire I believe. Before that they used TSN's feed out of Canada.
Last year they used TSN's feed.

Sweet news, NYRangers. :)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jacobv2 said:
Last year they used TSN's feed.

QUOTE]

Yea through empire. I have directv and I could get the games through Center Ice or from the sports pack which has over 30 local channels. I had hoped they would do this again considering that the tournament is in the states and all. It took them long enough to finally put the WJC's on tv.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vanrob said:
The poor United States.We in Canada get to see all the world Junior Games.It would suck to live in the States and not be able to see the games on the TV.

Yeah it would suck, except it's been established that the WJC's will be shown on ESPN 2.

espo*

Enjoy it while you can because if they don't win this year it won't be on again next year.It took them finally winning the thing for them to have any interest in the event at all but that's the way it goes with hockey and the U.S for most of the public,if they are'nt winning at it then hardly anyone wants to watch. I don't understand,for the amount of hockey fans there is in pockets of the U.S they still don't want to watch any international hockey unless there is some winning aspect with the United States involved.Makes you wonder if even the so called "hockey" states are really that.Wonder if that will ever change.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
cyclops said:
Enjoy it while you can because if they don't win this year it won't be on again next year.It took them finally winning the thing for them to have any interest in the event at all but that's the way it goes with hockey and the U.S for most of the public,if they are'nt winning at it then hardly anyone wants to watch. I don't understand,for the amount of hockey fans there is in pockets of the U.S they still don't want to watch any international hockey unless there is some winning aspect with the United States involved.Makes you wonder if even the so called "hockey" states are really that.Wonder if that will ever change.
Same with all sports. I kinda get sick of watching only the US though. I'm not a big fan of the US national teams aside from the WJC anyways. I like CAN, CZE, and RUS, but they only show games where the US plays them. I was born in FLA but my mom is Canadian and dad from the Czech Repand some people, especially hockey fans, want to see the super hyped prospects out of Europe or Canada. Who does the US have that is a top prospect aside from really Montoya who is a lesser level and O'Sullivan?

It's the worst with tennis though. I play tennis but hockey is my #1 sport and when I watch tennis, all they show is whatever American player is on against some guy who sucks instead of the two players who are not american who are much higher ranked and make a more competitive match. I hate watching only Andy Roddick.

Last edited:

espo*

It is a strange part of their culture isn't it? I know up here for example that when the olympics are on they would like to see Canada have a good enough team to be able to compete and watch them on t.v but they realise they don't so they(if they are basketball fans) just concentrate on watching good basketball being played by the best players and enjoy it for what it is,same goes for other sports if they are popular,the fans don't demand Canada being good at it to want to watch.It's kinda strange.........i wonder where the attitude comes from? I dobn't know but i do know that's basically the way it is...if the U.S isn't in the thick of things then they don't want to have anything to do with it.Maybe it never will change,oh well,they sure miss some good hockey.

espo*

PanthersRule said:
Same with all sports. I kinda get sick of watching only the US though. I'm not a big fan of the US olympic team. I like CAN, CZE, and RUS, but they only show games where the US plays them. I was born in FLA but my mom is Canadian and dad from the Czech Repand some people, especially hockey fans, want to see the super hyped prospects out of Europe or Canada. Who does the US have that is a top prospect aside from really Montoya who is a lesser level and O'Sullivan?

It's the worst with tennis though. I play tennis but hockey is my #1 sport and when I watch tennis, all they show is whatever American player is on against some guy who sucks instead of the two players who are not american who are much higher ranked and make a more competitive match. I hate watching only Andy Roddick.
Mom is Canadian and father is Czech eh? Did they turn you onto hockey or did it just happen naturally(it is in your blood on both sides ;) Cheers!!

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
cyclops said:
Mom is Canadian and father is Czech eh? Did they turn you onto hockey or did it just happen naturally(it is in your blood on both sides ;) Cheers!!
I started in 97 after the panthers went to the cup. My parents both liked hockey, but my dad was more of a soccer player/fan from the Czech Rep. He is a doctor though and when Martin Straka played for the panthers, she went to his office and she gave him free tickets in great seats to a bunch of the games right with all the players families for the PIT game 7 I think in 1996 and the game 4 against the AVS. I watched it on TV that year a bit in the playoffs and then in 96-97, this was when I was 8 turning 9. Then I asked how much hockey players make and when my parents said millions, I decided I wanted to play hockey. It's unfortuante, cuz if I had started a bit earlier, I think I could've had a good shot at playing pro hockey, NHL or not, like when I was 5 or so. But it was all cuz the money when I was 9!!!!! :lol

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
PanthersRule said:
I'm not a big fan of the US olympic team. I like CAN, CZE, and RUS, but they only show games where the US plays them.
What Olympics was this? Certainly not the last one. They showed practically every game, including the prelims (or whatever they were called for the lower-seeded teams).

cyclops said:
It is a strange part of their culture isn't it? I know up here for example that when the olympics are on they would like to see Canada have a good enough team to be able to compete and watch them on t.v but they realise they don't so they(if they are basketball fans) just concentrate on watching good basketball being played by the best players and enjoy it for what it is,same goes for other sports if they are popular,the fans don't demand Canada being good at it to want to watch. It's kinda strange.........i wonder where the attitude comes from? I dobn't know but i do know that's basically the way it is...if the U.S isn't in the thick of things then they don't want to have anything to do with it.Maybe it never will change,oh well,they sure miss some good hockey.
Your posts in this thread have got to be some of the most condescending I've ever read on here, and you've got some stiff competition, trust me. Way to generalize! :handclap:

------

So anyway, it's been almost a week, has anyone found any confirmation of what kind of "coast-to-coast American coverage" we'll be getting? I looked at USAHockey and the WJC site and don't see anything yet. I'm betting just the medal games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:

You don't understand why a major network wouldn't want to air an event that has little recognition and will embraced by only small pickets of people in select markets? Well, that certainly explains the rest of your posts. As for you dig about Americans only wanting to watch winners, or sports we're good at, who doesn't do that?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PanthersRule said:
Same with all sports. I kinda get sick of watching only the US though. I'm not a big fan of the US olympic team. I like CAN, CZE, and RUS, but they only show games where the US plays them. I was born in FLA but my mom is Canadian and dad from the Czech Repand some people, especially hockey fans, want to see the super hyped prospects out of Europe or Canada. Who does the US have that is a top prospect aside from really Montoya who is a lesser level and O'Sullivan?

Are you sure you're American? Anyway, the U.S. has plenty of top prospects, but since I'm tired of repeating the names I'll let you do the research. What I don't get is this harping on Americans only wanting to watch Americans. Every country does that!!!!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
It is a strange part of their culture isn't it? I know up here for example that when the olympics are on they would like to see Canada have a good enough team to be able to compete and watch them on t.v but they realise they don't so they(if they are basketball fans) just concentrate on watching good basketball being played by the best players and enjoy it for what it is,same goes for other sports if they are popular,the fans don't demand Canada being good at it to want to watch.It's kinda strange.........i wonder where the attitude comes from? I dobn't know but i do know that's basically the way it is...if the U.S isn't in the thick of things then they don't want to have anything to do with it.Maybe it never will change,oh well,they sure miss some good hockey.

Well, since Canada possesses relatively few world class athletes in most sports, I can understand why the population has a more "inclusive" outlook when it comes to international sport. That's not the case in the U.S. We have world class athletes in most sports, so it's understandable that we tend to prefer to watch our own. As for your last point, who is going to miss good hockey, people that could care less? Serious hockey fans will get an opportunity to watch the WJC's on ESPN 2 this year, so I don't see what the big deal is.

espo*

Sotnos said:
What Olympics was this? Certainly not the last one. They showed practically every game, including the prelims (or whatever they were called for the lower-seeded teams).

Your posts in this thread have got to be some of the most condescending I've ever read on here, and you've got some stiff competition, trust me. Way to generalize! :handclap:

------

So anyway, it's been almost a week, has anyone found any confirmation of what kind of "coast-to-coast American coverage" we'll be getting? I looked at USAHockey and the WJC site and don't see anything yet. I'm betting just the medal games.
I'm sorry but that is the way it seems,i know it's kind of an insult(well,kind of,not really)but the average U.S fan does'nt seem to care much about most sports unless Americans tend to be involved and doing well.Of course not all are like that but compared to other countries i think the general consenus is that they are.I'm sure you are a big fan that does'nt need to have the U.S involved to watch international hockey but i think it's fair to say you are in the minority would'nt you say?If not,then why so little coverage of international hockey unless the U.S is involved?And it's not like there isn't a decent hockey fan base in the states because there is,you and other American posters on here are proof of that.Where are those fans for international events?Why such bad ratings(or no coverage at all) when international events are on T.V or come to town?
I remember The last wjc in Boston(Boston of all places!!) and there was hardly a fan in the stands exept for the U.S games,and these guys are supposed to be big fans of the game,what happened?As soon as the U.S got knocked out the rinks were just about empty.Finland was'nt in the final last year but the crowd for the final game was healthy.Where does the difference come from? I think about hockey programs like Wisconsin and Maine,etc and those hockey programs get huge support,it's incredible.But that mentality of "if we don't have anyone to cheer for what's the sense of watching?" seems to pervade because those thousands of fans that pack the rinks in minnesota and other places don't seem to care once it comes to hockey where the U.S or their team is not involved.
It just strikes me as strange since they would seem to be real hockey fans but it seems they are more fans of the "team" then the game itself.Correct me if i'm wrong but don't you see my point?Maybe your answer to me will be that it isn't promoted enough,i don't know...please clarify for me because far from being condescending i just think i'm bringing out a good point and i know plenty that feel the same way. This type of behavior exists in all countries to a certain extent but just nowhere to the extent that it does in the U.S imo.Condescension or asking a question? It all depends on your point of view here i think. Take it as you may but the point is still there,put on your sociological thinking cap and tell me why you think the point is valid or total b.s but writing me off as simply and only condescending is jumping the gun too quick imo.I really see it in your sport culture even if you don't seem to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad