Will the 2005 WJCs be on TV in the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Well, since Canada possesses relatively few world class athletes in most sports, I can understand why the population has a more "inclusive" outlook when it comes to international sport. That's not the case in the U.S. We have world class athletes in most sports, so it's understandable that we tend to prefer to watch our own. As for your last point, who is going to miss good hockey, people that could care less? Serious hockey fans will get an opportunity to watch the WJC's on ESPN 2 this year, so I don't see what the big deal is.
It's not a big deal just a point i was raising to your post.You said the point was moot since it would be on espn and i was just saying the point won't be moot next year if you don't defend the title,think that's not possible?sure it is,they have to think there is a reason to show it before they will show it i.e: U.S is defending champs.

As to your second point i agree, the U.S has plenty of world class athletes
while Canada does'nt, yet one of my friends was working in Russia during the world cup years ago and while Russia of course had been eliminated he said that everyone was watching the games on t.v....... i know you are aware that Russia has plenty of world class athletes so what is the difference?They did'nt stop watching because Russia was'nt powerful. I can see how my point can upset you because it plays on that general sterotype the world has that americans only consider things to do with Americans as being important but that's not my point really.I am just wondering if there is a reason apart from this sterotype that could be responsible for this as it does'nt seem to exist to the same degree in other countries. There is preferring to watch your own (which is understandable) and then never watching unless your team or boys are playing........there is a big difference there i would say,especially if you just enjoy watching the excitement of a certain sport.Know what i'm getting at here? the differential in the U.S sports fan in this matter viv a vis other countries seems to be huge imo.I'm not alone in noticing this believe me.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
You don't understand why a major network wouldn't want to air an event that has little recognition and will embraced by only small pickets of people in select markets? Well, that certainly explains the rest of your posts. As for you dig about Americans only wanting to watch winners, or sports we're good at, who doesn't do that?
What other posts? what's the matter with them,they seem to be every bit as reasonable as yours imo.

espo*

PanthersRule said:
I started in 97 after the panthers went to the cup. My parents both liked hockey, but my dad was more of a soccer player/fan from the Czech Rep. He is a doctor though and when Martin Straka played for the panthers, she went to his office and she gave him free tickets in great seats to a bunch of the games right with all the players families for the PIT game 7 I think in 1996 and the game 4 against the AVS. I watched it on TV that year a bit in the playoffs and then in 96-97, this was when I was 8 turning 9. Then I asked how much hockey players make and when my parents said millions, I decided I wanted to play hockey. It's unfortuante, cuz if I had started a bit earlier, I think I could've had a good shot at playing pro hockey, NHL or not, like when I was 5 or so. But it was all cuz the money when I was 9!!!!! :lol
Interesting story!! :)

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Sotnos said:
What Olympics was this? Certainly not the last one. They showed practically every game, including the prelims (or whatever they were called for the lower-seeded teams).

I dunno why I typed olympics. I mean the US teams in general. I don't really enjoy watching the style of the teams they put together, I mean the players. I don't like Tkachuk, Roenick, Chelios, York, Esche, etc.... I dunno, it's just my personal preference.

The WJC team is good though, but I personally have no interests with the prospects. O'Sullivan, Stuart, Suter, etc... are all good and all, but the television only shows the US and I think games like RUS and CAN would be good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is there a TV schedule out yet?

if ESPN is serious about this maybe they'll use their regular NHL announcers. Gary Thorne and Dave Straiter aren't doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad