Will Stalock play before Thanksgiving?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Well, I wasn't saying that they should start Niemi 70+ games a year. I was just saying that there are a few reasons why a goalie would start 70+ games a year. Besides that, 15 teams lose in the playoffs and goalies who start that many games usually aren't the norm.
The top two reasons coming out of coaches are making the playoffs and playoff seeding. A secondary reason is for the starter to maintain rhythm. I balance that versus winning the cup. The guys who do it are pretty limited. Lundqvist leads the list. Rinne, Ward, Kiprusoff (formerly), Luongo, Brodeur, and Miller are way up there although Miller is falling off. Kipper, Lundqvist and Luongo have all failed when it appeared that fatigue was a factor. I think fatigue was a factor later in Brodeur's career (see series loss versus Carolina). I would not put playoff seeding ahead of resting the goalie. I might put making the playoffs ahead although I am not absolutely sure I would even do that.

What I am saying is that there have been enough appearances by quality teams with quality goalies over time failing to opine that overplaying the goalie is a grave mistake in terms of pursuing the cup.

A recent example of what I think to be a coach's mistake is the naming of Halak as a number one. He has a huge track record of needing rest. If rested well, he is almost Vezina caliber. After about a month of overplay, his numbers fall off significantly.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

IMO Niemi needs a pretty particular defense scheme to be cover up his deficiencies to really have success. On the other hand,Rinne and Rask have a lot more going for them in terms of natural abilities. In reality, I think any of the three could be really good in the Olympics.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
IMO Niemi needs a pretty particular defense scheme to be cover up his deficiencies to really have success. On the other hand,Rinne and Rask have a lot more going for them in terms of natural abilities. In reality, I think any of the three could be really good in the Olympics.

We are talking about finland right? Thats all there players are about is defensive hockey, forwards and defensemen alike.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We are talking about finland right? Thats all there players are about is defensive hockey, forwards and defensemen alike.

Eh, that's just might insight on the goalie thing. I'm not well versed in international hockey styles.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

It will be on big ice so they will trap. I don't see the games being nearly as exciting as they were on the smaller ice surface. (which a lot of the teams loved for it made a faster game)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It will be on big ice so they will trap. I don't see the games being nearly as exciting as they were on the smaller ice surface. (which a lot of the teams loved for it made a faster game)

finlands style translates to both big and small ice.

since 1998 in the olympics finland has finished.

3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd.

finland may not win the olympics or world championships that often, but they are always in the top 4 it seems.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd.

finland may not win the olympics or world championships that often, but they are always in the top 4 it seems.

I'm sure they will.

651*

He did okay last night. 30/31 not bad.

Is it just me though or does he look small compared to others?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd.

Sounds like Fins are well-suited to play for the Sharks, no?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'd prefer the Sharks to rest, heal, and practice during the Oly break and concentrate on making it to the cup finals instead.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Aww that sucks. Didn't know there was an age limit.

25 and under, it was implemented after a 30+ soviet union player who had played basically pro hockey his entire adult life came over and won the rookie of the year award.

this is also the reason why gretzky never won the rookie of the year award, because he had played pro hockey for the 1st 5+ years of his career.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
25 and under, it was implemented after a 30+ soviet union player who had played basically pro hockey his entire adult life came over and won the rookie of the year award.

this is also the reason why gretzky never won the rookie of the year award, because he had played pro hockey for the 1st 5+ years of his career.

Sergei Makarov was the player...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad