Will Stalock play before Thanksgiving?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Hes going to get 10/15 starts this year barring injury. Hope he plays better than he did in the preseason.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
He's getting into one of most of back to backs. Unfortunately for him, the Sharks play the fewest back to backs in the NHL this season.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Sharks back to backs:

October 26 - @ Montreal
October 27 - @ Ottawa

November 14 - @ Vancouver
November 15 - @ Edmonton

November 29 - St. Louis
November 30 - Anaheim

December 5 - @ Pittsburgh
December 6 - @ Carolina

January 4 - @ Colorado
January 5 - @ Chicago

January 29 - @ Edmonton
January 30 - @ Calgary

Olympic Break

February 27 - @ Philadelphia
February 28 - @ Buffalo

March 13 - @ Columbus
March 14 - @ NY Islanders

March 24 - @ Calgary
March 25 - @ Edmonton

April 11 - Colorado
April 12 - @ Phoenix

10 starts... once every 2-3 weeks...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm positive he will play a game before Thanksgiving. Now before Thanksgiving 2013? That's questionable. But Thanksgiving 2020? FOR SURE!

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Isn't there a stat where teams with goalies that make 60+ starts rarely ever win the cup? Other than Brodeur and Quick. Someone should tell T-Mac.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Isn't there a stat where teams with goalies that make 60+ starts rarely ever win the cup? Other than Brodeur and Quick. Someone should tell T-Mac.

All those stats are usually correlations though. There's probably a ton of reasons why a goalie will start that many times.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

All those stats are usually correlations though. There's probably a ton of reasons why a goalie will start that many times.

It's 70. It isn't all correlation. In watching heavy use goalies in the playoffs, I have seen quite a few (Lundqvist, Luongo) lose a series by playing subpar. Worn out.

The other evidence that goes beyond correlation is that some of these guys (eg Fleury) have won when they weren't used heavily.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It's 70. It isn't all correlation. In watching heavy use goalies in the playoffs, I have seen quite a few (Lundqvist, Luongo) lose a series by playing subpar. Worn out.

The other evidence that goes beyond correlation is that some of these guys (eg Fleury) have won when they weren't used heavily.

But then you have goalies like Quick and Brodeur who were used heavily in the regular season and still did great in the playoffs.

And then you have players like Niemi in 09-10, and Fleury in 08-09 who weren't used that much in the regular season and still played poorly in the playoffs. Their team in front of them was just that dominant.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
But then you have goalies like Quick and Brodeur who were used heavily in the regular season and still did great in the playoffs.

And then you have players like Niemi in 09-10, and Fleury in 08-09 who weren't used that much in the regular season and still played poorly in the playoffs. Their team in front of them was just that dominant.

This part wasn't that relevant.

Quick won with 69 games. I won't quibble too much, but I have seen a lot of goalies go 70+, not just 70,71,72 either. Most of the ones in the 70+ club are Vezina contenders in the years in which they do it. With the number who have done 70+, their quality and the number of cups among them, I lean strongly against overusing goalies. Both Boston and Chicago (2 times) recently have been very reticent about overplaying their goalies even though they had clear #1's. I won't check the numbers now but someone else said that Quick doesn't fare so well when playing back to backs. Another case for fatigue.

If I were coaching, I would self-limit at 65 games and probably plan games off well ahead for the #1 as Julien does for Boston. He practically has the whole schedule mapped for the goalies at the outset of the season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This part wasn't that relevant.

Quick won with 69 games. I won't quibble too much, but I have seen a lot of goalies go 70+, not just 70,71,72 either. Most of the ones in the 70+ club are Vezina contenders in the years in which they do it. With the number who have done 70+, their quality and the number of cups among them, I lean strongly against overusing goalies. Both Boston and Chicago (2 times) recently have been very reticent about overplaying their goalies even though they had clear #1's. I won't check the numbers now but someone else said that Quick doesn't fare so well when playing back to backs. Another case for fatigue.

If I were coaching, I would self-limit at 65 games and probably plan games off well ahead for the #1 as Julien does for Boston. He practically has the whole schedule mapped for the goalies at the outset of the season.

Well, I wasn't saying that they should start Niemi 70+ games a year. I was just saying that there are a few reasons why a goalie would start 70+ games a year. Besides that, 15 teams lose in the playoffs and goalies who start that many games usually aren't the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad