Speculation: Will Selanne make the playoffs... as a Jet?

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
If the Jets are in the playoffs and the Ducks aren't, I don't think the Jets would have to give up much at all for Teemu. It'd be more for Teemu's benefit to win a cup with the Jets, than for ours at this point. It'd be like an Iginla thing. He might even have an arragement with the Ducks if things play out like that and TSNE would probably be all for it and give up a late pick of something. That said, we're two games in so whatevs.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Anaheim will NEVER trade Selanne, even to Winnipeg. The Ducks don't have much of a legeacy since they've only been around for ~20 years, but Selanne is a big part of it. They want, need and hope to god he retires a Duck.

The only possible way I could ever see Selanne leaving Anaheim for Winnipeg is if he pulls a Brett Farve, and Selanne has too much class to do that.

Why would it be classless?

Anaheim is a metric hojillion to one against making the playoffs.
Jets need one win in their last 14 games to make the playoffs.
Anaheim trades Selanne to Winnipeg for an AHLer or lower tier pick.
Playoffs end one way or another.
Offseason, Winnipeg trades Selanne to Anaheim for $1 plus conditional picks.
Selanne retires a Duck.

How does anyone lose anything in this scenario? Did Bourque's swan song cup win with Colorado in any way diminish his two decades as a Bruin?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Anaheim will not let him go & I don't blame them.

I don't know that, and neither do you. There are circumstances under which Anaheim would let him go. They let Bobby Ryan go 3 months ago, didn't they? Saying he's going to retire at the end of the season is not a binding oath. Nobody would fault him if it was the first day of next season instead.

Anaheim would have to not need Teemu Selanne to be willing to trade Teemu Selanne (ie: they're not making the playoffs and he won't be there next year). What seems less likely to me is that we think we need another scoring RW on our roster. As much as I myself want to see him in Jets 2.0 for a magical cup run, I'm not so sure the organization would see him as the right piece to add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad