Speculation: Will Selanne make the playoffs... as a Jet?

noize

Mar 22, 2012
Teemu has officially announced to the world that the 2013-2014 edition will indeed be his final season in the NHL. This will undoubtedly turn into one of the biggest story lines of the year. I realize that this is more or less a "pipe dream" rather than "speculation", but I have to ask you, to use your imagination while I pose this scenario to everyone:

Say it's mid-March. The Jets are flying in the top 4 of the Central division, and are on pace to locking up a playoff spot (I know this statement is a pipe dream in itself, but hear me out!). The Jets management foresees the team being a playoff contender (the first one for the Jets 2.0), and gears up to make some key personnel moves, just like any team would do in their position.

Meanwhile, the Ducks are hovering in the bottom 4 of the Pacific division. Teemu, now less than a month away from retiring and currently "on-the-outside-looking-in" to the playoff picture, is in the process of making some important decisions for himself and his career. Having now been to Winnipeg twice since their return, fully understands the impact he has made, and still continues to make on the city of Winnipeg and their fans; he is our prodigal son. He also realizes that this, being his last season, is his "now-or-never" moment to make a decision regarding whether or not he will make a triumphant return to Winnipeg and play for the city that never forgot about him.

Do you think the Jets (in this scenario) would give serious thought to acquiring Teemu Selanne for a playoff push?

If Teemu were even remotely interested in coming back, this would be the ideal opportunity for him to do so. It wouldn't require him to permanently relocate his family, as the latest the playoffs would go is early-mid June. He could retire as a hero right where he started. He could wear #13 again and then retire it under the Jets 2.0 brand (not the Coyotes), which would also earn some brownie points for the Jets organization within the city. Not to mention, with his leadership and strong playing ability, he could possibly lead a playoff-bound Jets to their first Stanley Cup, and his 2nd.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Teemu will never again be a Jet. We need to stop hoping. It makes no sense for the Jets as an organization and it makes no sense for Teemu.

Face it, Winnipeg is not Teemu's first love. Anaheim is. People need to understand that.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Another one of these threads eh?
Lets talk about this near the deadline.
I wouldn't give up too much, we're not going to in the cup so I don't wanna ship out assets.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Teemu will never again be a Jet. We need to stop hoping. It makes no sense for the Jets as an organization and it makes no sense for Teemu.

Face it, Winnipeg is not Teemu's first love. Anaheim is. People need to understand that.

we'll always be remembered as his first love, but his true love is Anaheim

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
The Jets would have to be really good and the Ducks would have to be really bad, we'd also need to have an AHL player with some talent who we wouldn't likely ever call up. The last two are probably likely to be met, but we'd still need to satisfy the first criteria and even then it probably isn't even in Selanne's best interest. Though to see him play along side the Calder Twins would make this go full circle.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The Jets would have to be really good and the Ducks would have to be really bad, we'd also need to have an AHL player with some talent who we wouldn't likely ever call up. The last two are probably likely to be met, but we'd still need to satisfy the first criteria and even then it probably isn't even in Selanne's best interest. Though to see him play along side the Calder Twins would make this go full circle.

SWEET LORD ABOVE

Kane-Scheif-Selanne

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
SWEET LORD ABOVE

Kane-Scheif-Selanne

With Trouba coming up from the back as well. It'd be special, but unfortunately the world doesn't work in awesome. If it did, Talking Heads wouldn't have broken up on bad terms and both Twin Peaks and Freaks and Geeks would have lasted at least five seasons. Oh, and MST3K would still be on the air as an institution comparable to The Simpsons. :sarcasm:

I was hoping that Teemu would be able to pull a Gordie Howe and play on the same line as Leevi, but once again, not how the world works. ;)

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Anaheim will NEVER trade Selanne, even to Winnipeg. The Ducks don't have much of a legeacy since they've only been around for ~20 years, but Selanne is a big part of it. They want, need and hope to god he retires a Duck.

The only possible way I could ever see Selanne leaving Anaheim for Winnipeg is if he pulls a Brett Farve, and Selanne has too much class to do that.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Anaheim will NEVER trade Selanne, even to Winnipeg. The Ducks don't have much of a legeacy since they've only been around for ~20 years, but Selanne is a big part of it. They want, need and hope to god he retires a Duck.

The only possible way I could ever see Selanne leaving Anaheim for Winnipeg is if he pulls a Brett Farve, and Selanne has too much class to do that.

Nope, I believe Terry Yake is a bigger part of the Ducks' legacy. :sarcasm:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

I think that if Teemu requests a trade they would oblige.
A legacy is great, but you don't want to burn a bridge.
If they're out if it and he says he wants to go to a contender I can't believe they say no.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
And I think that if he did get traded, be it to Winnipeg, Detroit or even the Carolina Hurricanes, he'd retire with a 1 day Ducks contract. That'd be the way it should be.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
as much as I would love it to happen...its just not going to. We could trade a second for him...but we dont have one and i wouldnt trade our first for a few months of him.

Puckschmuck*

How many of these "Teemu as a Jet" pipedream threads have we gone through already? 3? 4? 5? more?

The only way I see Teemu as part of the team is perhaps as a coach or some kind of management position once he retires from Anaheim. But as a player? Not a chance.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
If they're out if it and he says he wants to go to a contender I can't believe they say no.
I like the way you roll Silver.

Anybody that had Trouba pegged on draft day can do no wrong in my books :yo:

jetbomber96

Dec 9, 2011
I'm curious as to what type of reception Teemu will get this time around.

Will the fans cheer every time he touches the puck ?
Will they again chant his name after the anthem ?

I personally think he should be treated like royalty again as this is the last time he will ever play hockey in this building. (Unless the Jets meet the Ducks in the playoffs)

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
I doubt he'll play, but can Anaheim and Winnipeg do some kind of "sign contract for Jets for one day then trade to Anaheim" event? Of course all parties involved would have to agree with it.

That would be epic.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

But we are not a contender. Its doubtful he comes here.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
But we are not a contender. Its doubtful he comes here.

I was responding to this :

My point was that Anaheim would trade Selanne.
Not necessarily here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad