Speculation: Will Richards Be A King Come Next Season?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
i for one am not worried about the cap
1) MR will always have value to any club looking for a leader to mentor the youngsters even at his $$$
2)Greene, Clifford, Nolan, Fraser are all but gone for either picks or outright so thats about 6ish off the cap
3) and most important in DEAN WE TRUST now lets close this thread!.:handclap:

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
think about it... if richards get bought out, there will be 29 other teams trying to sign him. I hear chicago and the ducks among others are looking for a solid second line center.

Richie goes nowhere. IMO, he played well for us in the playoffs and was a significant contributor to both our cups.

And you just know that to continue to hang out with his boy he'd sign in So Cal with the Ducks.

I sure wouldn't want to play against Rick.

Imagine him signing and playing behind Getz and getting another ring

THE HORROR

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Are you guys sure that was Dean's exact quote? Sounds like it was more of a general statement on the team and not MR. I don't trust people when quoting as they're usually wrong and/or out of context.

FWIW:
Another source:

David Pagnotta
‏@TheFourthPeriod
"The Kings will have decisions to make on pending UFAs Greene & Mitchell, and want to re-sign Gaborik. THEY'RE NOT BUYING OUT RICHARDS."

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Right now, with the season he had Slava is probably #5 on the Kings depth chart, and he is behind three guys who play a somewhat similar offensive style.

As far as Richards he is either the #3 or #4 center, he is never going to be a 2nd line center as long as Kopitar and Carter are here.

The Kings really have no one like Gaborik, and he completely changed the dynamic of the team when he was acquired.

I think if the decision on the $$$ is between these three guys it's a no brainer on which one it shouldn't be. The Kings can contend next season if they move Richards or Voynov, I don't know if they can seriously contend without Gaborik.

Or, here's a thought. They could keep Richards and Voynov and trade for a scoring winger near the deadline like they did in 2012 and 2014.

And if his level of play improves dramatically that creates more issues at the end of next year. Do you keep him or get rid of someone else. His below par performance has made him the odd man out due to his contract, but what if he plays up to his contract value? Who goes?

Ummm... no one?

Not sure if it's been suggested, only saw about buying him out and having him dealt back to us, could we concievably trade Richards to a team like Buffalo, have them buy him out, and we resign him for cheaper? It's been said Murray is looking to buy 1sts.

A better scenario that no one seems to be mentioning is trading Richards to someone, say Buffalo and then trading to get him back, only with Buffalo retaining a portion of Richards cap hit. A cap guy would know better than I but I don't believe there's anything against that in the CBA. So Richards and a 2nd for Buff 3rd, then Richards (50% retained) back to LA for the Buffalo 3rd. We get Richards at half price, Buffalo gets a 2nd. Considering how long Richards deal is, you could make it a 1st easily.

FWIW:
Another source:

David Pagnotta
‏@TheFourthPeriod
"The Kings will have decisions to make on pending UFAs Greene & Mitchell, and want to re-sign Gaborik. THEY'RE NOT BUYING OUT RICHARDS."

We have to make a decision on two UFA's, we want to resign someone who scored 14 goals in one playoff year and DL won't buy out the heart and soul guy he has a man boner for.... we all could have wrote that. Heck my grandma could have wrote that, tell us something we don't know fourth period.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak140616.html

"One thing is clear, though. The Kings do not plan on buying out the contract of center Mike Richards".

Good, the depth is what's most important. Kopitar, Carter, Stoll and Richards, let's say one of those guys gets hurt-not a big deal. You subtract Mike Richards and one of those guys gets hurt and it's a different story. Short offseason but I really hope MR gets in the gym and puts in the work necessary to get him back to where he once was.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Since when is TFP a reliable source of information? Regardless, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Lombardi isn't going to mess with our team chemistry that we have. Besides, Richards really won me over with how he went out of his way to make Gabby feel at home here. Makes me wonder why Brownie hasn't done the same...

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
A better scenario that no one seems to be mentioning is trading Richards to someone, say Buffalo and then trading to get him back, only with Buffalo retaining a portion of Richards cap hit. A cap guy would know better than I but I don't believe there's anything against that in the CBA. So Richards and a 2nd for Buff 3rd, then Richards (50% retained) back to LA for the Buffalo 3rd. We get Richards at half price, Buffalo gets a 2nd. Considering how long Richards deal is, you could make it a 1st easily.

Pretty sure that cannot be done. I think there is something in the CBA stating a player cannot be traded back to their original team within a certain time period.

Those with better knowledge of the ins and outs of CBA surely could add to this.

I remember this happening alot in the 80's especially. Prior to the waiver draft teams would deal players to another club for "future considerations" only to have them traded back a little while after the draft.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Pretty sure that cannot be done. I think there is something in the CBA stating a player cannot be traded back to their original team within a certain time period.

Those with better knowledge of the ins and outs of CBA surely could add to this.

I remember this happening alot in the 80's especially. Prior to the waiver draft teams would deal players to another club for "future considerations" only to have them traded back a little while after the draft.

That's 100% correct! I believe it's for an entire season, but not sure about that. Heck, if it were allowed, then everyone would be doing it.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Since when is TFP a reliable source of information? Regardless, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Lombardi isn't going to mess with our team chemistry that we have. Besides, Richards really won me over with how he went out of his way to make Gabby feel at home here. Makes me wonder why Brownie hasn't done the same...

They aren't. TMZ-lite.

I have no doubt that he did.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Who said Brown hasn't ?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Good, the depth is what's most important. Kopitar, Carter, Stoll and Richards, let's say one of those guys gets hurt-not a big deal. You subtract Mike Richards and one of those guys gets hurt and it's a different story. Short offseason but I really hope MR gets in the gym and puts in the work necessary to get him back to where he once was.

Thinking it may be time to start bringing along another center with top 6 upside.

Doesn't Brown have a brood of like 6 or something? Could you imagine 6 little Browns running all over the place crashing into everything in sight? Don't think Brown has the time.

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA
The Mike Richards point production has dimmed. The Mike Richards is a beast on the PK and makes him quite valuable to Sutter and staff. The Mike Richards has been on bother Championship teams which helps him party like The mitchrock star!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad