Speculation: Will Richards Be A King Come Next Season?

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Mike Richards & his contract

Back in 2004, Darryl Sutter convinced then Flames goaltender Roman Turek to restructure his way-over-priced contract.

Do you think Dean & Darryl can/will convince Richards to do the same thing?

Discuss.....

vital

Jun 23, 2010
I don't think its possible anymore to restructure contracts. I could be wrong, as I'm not up to date with the new CBA. It wasn't allowed in the previous CBA and I doubt it's possible in the new.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I don't think this is an option in the current CBA? If it was Lecavalier would probably still be on Tampa.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
At least he's been playing like he has a pulse, recently, so that should help DL ask around for a trade...if he wants to go that route. I just posted this in the Prohorkin thread, but a Richards ++ trade for Evander Kane makes sense, logically. MR grew up semi close to the Peg, and allegedly, Kane is potentially on the block. The Kings would need to add something sweet besides just Richards, obviously, but it'd be sexy to get Kane here. Assuming Gaborik gets re-signed, Kane would be the 4th best forward, AT BEST, on this team. Ridiculous.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Richards will either be the most expensive 3rd line center in NHL history, or the Kings will send a top prospect, with Richards plus take back some cap money to trade him. We shall see.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I think we keep him and honor the contract that we have with him for the next season at least. Moving him makes little sense and if you take a look at how DL has worked over the past few seasons he sure seems to honor agreements more so then being one of those GM's that ditch a player at the first sign of trouble.

MR had a tough season but his playoffs have been very solid. Not what I want to see from a player of his caliber solid but solid none the less and getting better every game imo.

Besides, this is a weird time for this thread to me, I mean we are battling for the conference championships right now and MR has had a couple of solid games during the playoffs. I still think he is one of those players that I want on the ice with short time on the clock and the game on the line. That to me makes him worthy of staying with the team. Certainly for another season. But like every other player no one opinion is any more or less valid then the other for the most part.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Richards will either be the most expensive 3rd line center in NHL history, or the Kings will send a top prospect, with Richards plus take back some cap money to trade him. We shall see.

I would rather have Richards at 5.75 than Horcoff at 5.5

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think we keep him and honor the contract that we have with him for the next season at least. Moving him makes little sense and if you take a look at how DL has worked over the past few seasons he sure seems to honor agreements more so then being one of those GM's that ditch a player at the first sign of trouble.

MR had a tough season but his playoffs have been very solid. Not what I want to see from a player of his caliber solid but solid none the less and getting better every game imo.

Besides, this is a weird time for this thread to me, I mean we are battling for the conference championships right now and MR has had a couple of solid games during the playoffs. I still think he is one of those players that I want on the ice with short time on the clock and the game on the line. That to me makes him worthy of staying with the team. Certainly for another season. But like every other player no one opinion is any more or less valid then the other for the most part.

not sure about this. Look at jack Johnson.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I fully expect Richards to be a King when next season starts. He's a DL and DS type of player, both guys just love his character and play. Unless they want him gone or DL suddenly has some sizeable salary cap issues to deal with, he'll stay a King.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I fully expect Richards to be a King when next season starts. He's a DL and DS type of player, both guys just love his character and play. Unless they want him gone or DL suddenly has some sizeable salary cap issues to deal with, he'll stay a King.

I think the only way he goes is if he wants to go somewhere where he plays more.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Right now, Mike Richards is #4 among Kings centers in TOI during the playoffs (17g to date). He plays about a minute less than Stoll on average, and about 2.5 minutes more than Lewis. The telling story here is that Stoll & Richards TOI positions were reversed in the regular season. Which means Sutter sees Stoll with 2 pts in the playoffs as the better center iceman right now, even with Richards having the better offensive output (2g, 4a).

Lewis, Stoll and Vey have a combined lower cap hit than Mike Richards, and are only signed for a couple more years. But I still don't think Richards leaves LA this offseason in any situation. If it happens, you'll see it occur organically, most likely with a younger player (Vey, Lewis?) pushing him out before his current contract expires in 2020.

KingKopitar11*

If we trade Richards we can get some nice pieces for him, and since Carter is doing good at 2C. I think DL might explore the market for him pretty well.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Right now, Mike Richards is #4 among Kings centers in TOI during the playoffs (17g to date). He plays about a minute less than Stoll on average, and about 2.5 minutes more than Lewis. The telling story here is that Stoll & Richards TOI positions were reversed in the regular season. Which means Sutter sees Stoll with 2 pts in the playoffs as the better center iceman right now, even with Richards having the better offensive output (2g, 4a).

Lewis, Stoll and Vey have a combined lower cap hit than Mike Richards, and are only signed for a couple more years. But I still don't think Richards leaves LA this offseason in any situation. If it happens, you'll see it occur organically, most likely with a younger player (Vey, Lewis?) pushing him out before his current contract expires in 2020.

I don't think he has anything to do with how Sutter sees Stoll vs Richards. It's all about how good Stoll is in the dot and has been for years. And because of that Stoll gets put out for many end zone draws and that ups his ice time.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
I do not want Richards to be traded especially when his value is at an all time low.

I believe something has been wrong with Richards physically this season, where he's playing through an injury and doesn't have his conditioning as a result of it. I feel like he takes shorter shifts than most of the other forwards and has not been as reckless/physical as he has been in the past in an attempt to try to pace himself because he's not where he needs to be physically.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
How many Mike Richards threads does one site need?

I'm with you- even when he's contributing (remember his work on the last second goal in game one of the Anaheim series game, followed by the O/T win) he appears to be worthy of something. My sense is that Richards will not be traded (because no team will want to take on that contract) but may well be bought out. He'll likely surface on a team like Toronto as a number 2/3 center.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I do not want Richards to be traded especially when his value is at an all time low.

I believe something has been wrong with Richards physically this season, where he's playing through an injury and doesn't have his conditioning as a result of it. I feel like he takes shorter shifts than most of the other forwards and has not been as reckless/physical as he has been in the past in an attempt to try to pace himself because he's not where he needs to be physically.

I was gonna post...but you said it all. Stupid time to sell on a heart and soul kind of player. If he had no recent major injuries it would be different but in Richards case he's gotten two concussions two years in a row while on the ice. If he wants to save himself for the playoffs in that situation, I say we let him.

He has a long term contract with us...let him take regular season games off and hopefully get better for the many future years to come.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Third consecutive year reaching the 3rd round since acquiring Richards, who was the best C for the Kings a year ago. His line has had some strong shifts, like getting the Kings going in Game 2. You guys need to chill and let this season play out. He'll be back next season, the team really values him as a leader, despite the salary and lack of production this season.

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA
Personally I think this season was an aberration for Richards, and I expect to see good production from him next season. Something definitely looked wrong with him physically though. Seemed like his speed declined and his balance on the puck fell off big time.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Will not be traded, the only option Lombardi would use is the buyout. It makes no sense to trade Richards why his value is at an all time low.

The Kings would have to eat salary and send assets with Richards to make that work.

Dave in LA

Chick Magnet
Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
This whole Vey can replace Richards crap is ridiculous. Vey is not ready for those type of minutes, not physically ready for those type of minutes, doesn't possess the balls or leadership MR brings. Especially in the playoffs. So, stop that nonsense.

For the argument "he makes too much money to be a 3rd/4th line center" is just as ridiculous. He's part of the 4 centers of doom. MR will be here as long as he wants. DL covets centers the most. No other team can match the kings up the middle.

I was listening to nhl radio last week & one of the hosts mentioned how Boston values depth more than flash. I believe DL feels the same way.

One last thing, cap is going up next year.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This whole Vey can replace Richards crap is ridiculous. Vey is not ready for those type of minutes, not physically ready for those type of minutes, doesn't possess the balls or leadership MR brings. Especially in the playoffs. So, stop that nonsense.

For the argument "he makes too much money to be a 3rd/4th line center" is just as ridiculous. He's part of the 4 centers of doom. MR will be here as long as he wants. DL covets centers the most. No other team can match the kings up the middle.

I was listening to nhl radio last week & one of the hosts mentioned how Boston values depth more than flash. I believe DL feels the same way.

One last thing, cap is going up next year.

I agree on Vey, he is not that great of a center, also Vey is terrible on Draws.

Shore is a much better Center, and will likely surpass Vey on the depth chart(next year).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad