Speculation: Will Richards Be A King Come Next Season?

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Honestly, I think without Mike Richards on this team, we are contenders, but we aren't serious Stanley Cup contenders. He came up absolutely HUGE on the PK these playoffs and turned Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis into offensive threats playing on the 4th line. He also came up big again when Sutter bumped him up to play with Pearson and Carter during the Finals. I also think it's hilarious that people here are downplaying Lombardi's tendency to acquire guys with winning pedigrees and intangibles rather than just skill in an attempt to lessen Richards' impact on this team. News flash, that same philosophy that took so long to build a team that could make the playoffs has now won us 2 Cups in 3 years! Has it gone to our heads already even after so many years of lacking exactly that winning pedigree?

I also don't understand people complaining about his production. Last season he was almost 0.66 ppg, and this season he was exactly 0.5 ppg with less offensive responsibility. What a shock, he's given a more defensive role and he doesn't put up as many points, who would've thought? Not to mention the fact that Brown had an abysmal year as far as production goes playing with better linemates on a more expensive cap hit. And then there are the people who point to his numbers in Philly and cry that he isn't the offensive player he is anymore. Well sure, he didn't have to play behind Kopitar and Carter in Philly, in fact, he played on the same damn line as the latter and was expected to be the focal point of the offense! This is on top of the fact that the Philly team he played for basically let Richards play any way he damn well pleased rather than the system Sutter implements for our guys. As for the playoffs, people forget he was arguably our best player last year despite being injured, just behind Carter in production.

I'm all for keeping Gaborik, but getting rid of Richards is not the way to go about it, at least right now. I'm confident Lombardi will find a way to do both, even if it means letting go of Greene or Mitchell.

Last edited:

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Instead of just calling them 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line, why not look at it as having 1A, 1B, 2nd and 3rd lines. The ice time distribution between Carter, Stoll and Richards respectively was 21, 18, 17 and 15 mins per game (rounded up) throughout the playoffs.

If Richards improves his conditioning and fitness level, I could see Sutter sliding him up and giving him more minutes, depending on the situation and what is called for. We saw this adjustment in Game 5 and it worked out perfectly as Richards did a terrific job in picking off passes and forcing the Rangers to reset in their own zone. He thwarted many breakout attempts and kept pinning the Rangers deep in their side of the ice, and he did this when he was bumped up to centering Carter and Pearson while Lewis centered Clifford and Toffoli.

I think it would be very likely to see this alignment up front to start the 2014-15 season (with the assumption that everyone returns):

Gaborik-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
King-Richards-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis

Richards can still produce on a line with King and Williams and can feed passes to those two wingers who are both capable of putting pucks in net. I don't know about the rest of you but Richards' performance in the Finals instilled some confidence in me that this guy can bounce back and find his game next season.
This is a terrific post and really hammers home why Richards will be on the roster to start next year: we have a better chance of repeating with him than without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad