News Article: Will Phil Kessel Be an Art Ross Trophy Contender for Maple Leafs in 2014-15?

hockeyfanz*

Crosby finished 24 points ahead of Kessel last year on only 36 goals which for Crosby would be considered an off year as he has shared the Rocket before with 51 in a season.

Crosby would need to miss at least 1/4 of a season to level the playing field with Kessel in points.

I think Stamkos is the potential #1 challenger for the Art Ross behind Crosby, as Stevie can get 50 goals in a season in his sleep.

If Stammer can stay healthy...he could easily challenge for the Art Ross and Rocket Richard and Hart Trophies.

Kessel will finish top 10 in scoring, even with the anchor known as Tyler Bozak.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Crosby finished 24 points ahead of Kessel last year on only 36 goals which for Crosby would be considered an off year as he has shared the Rocket before with 51 in a season.

Crosby would need to miss at least 1/4 of a season to level the playing field with Kessel in points.

I think Stamkos is the potential #1 challenger for the Art Ross behind Crosby, as Stevie can get 50 goals in a season in his sleep.

True about Stamkos, but I don't think he's on the same level as Crosby/Malkin as far as raw points go.

I'd put him in the mid to high 90s as far as production goes, which means missing ~10 games would put him back in the mid to high 80s which is within Kessel's reach if he stays hot.

And yes, Crosby would need to miss anywhere from 1/3 to 1/4 of a season for Kessel to catch him. Last year was Crosby's worst year for assists since 09-10 when he scored 51, so I think you can generally count on him either scoring more goals (in the 45+ range) or having significantly more assists (15+ more)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
There was a nice comparison between he and Stamkos floating around somewhere, and it basically said that whereas Kessel can be fairly passive at times on the power play, Stamkos is actively positioning himself for a one time opportunity which makes him a one strike threat or a garbage goal threat depending on the situation. Because Kessel uses such a specialized stick he isn't able to utilize that aspect as a second option, so teams can usually defend him by taking away his space and time for a wrister. Kessel's really evolved his playmaking game over the years, but he's at a pretty consistent level now. I wouldn't be surprised to see his production spike one of these years but 80 odd points sounds about right. Hopefully he'll also evolve his conditioning so he can keep his speed later into his career. 27 isn't young for a scorer whose game is built on speed.

I don't really think you can compare Stammer and Kessel on the powerplay. Over the past few years they really occupy different roles. Stammer is more the dedicated trigger man on the Tampa Bay powerplay, where he can position himself in spots where he'll get the passes to score. On the Leafs Kessel basically runs the powerplay, and is more often than not the guy who sets up the triggermen. Stammer's more goal heavy PPP splits and Kessel's more assist heavy totals reflect this.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'd say Kessel has plateaued since he's been at a PPG pace for the past three years.

It's certainly possible he could up that total. Players do still develop the older they get. There is precedent for players taking another step offensively around this age. Both Sedin's did it, first hitting the 80 point stage, then the 90ish/100ish point stage. Marleau did it in his 8th NHL season, hitting the consistent 75-85 point play.

I think PPG will be the norm, which is quite incredible in the NHL right now. It's consistently top 10 in the NHL. He could hit more but he'll need to have a deeper offense IMO, one that gives him a better center and spreads around the defensive lines he'll face.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's hard to imagine Kessel winning the Art Ross in any year that Crosby Stamkos and Malkin are healthy. Especially when his centreman is Bozak.

Stephen said:
I'd say Kessel has plateaued since he's been at a PPG pace for the past three years.

But how many players achieve that nowadays? only 7 guys got 80 points last season. the puck is deader than a doornail. again.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Kessel needs to try and use a more rigid stick on PP's so he can load up one time bombs. He can continue using his whippy stick 5 on 5, but if he changes sticks on the PP, I could see at least another 5 goals for him.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
according to the ancient chinese zodiac calender 2015 is known as "the year of the Phil." I expect at least an Art Ross, and maybe a couple Rocket Richards and Selkes thrown in too.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
The plan is to actually cut back Kessel's icetime and play the 4th more which might actually decrease his offense not increase it.

Or make him even more productive when he is on the ice because he is less tired. Not say that you are wrong though, time will tell because we can only speculate as to how the team will play, how the team is coached, who gets injured, how players respond, etc...

Should be an interesting season next year

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Or make him even more productive when he is on the ice because he is less tired. Not say that you are wrong though, time will tell because we can only speculate as to how the team will play, how the team is coached, who gets injured, how players respond, etc...

Should be an interesting season next year

That is possible and likely what Leafs are striving for. However less ice time = less scoring opportunities, more ice-time = more scoring opportunities. Can't score while sitting on the bench.

Crosby averaged 21:58 TOI/g and produced 104 points
Kessel averaged 20:39 TOI/g and produced 80 points (-24 less points)

If Leafs plan on reducing Kessel's TOI/G by ~2:00 minutes down to 18:39 then that gives Crosby > +3 minutes more ice time each game advantage to score more points. Even a more rested Kessel now playing less each game isn't odds on favourite to pass a healthy Crosby and win the Art Ross.

If Kessel increased his fitness level and conditioning that might put him closer to Crosby in league scoring however.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The Leafs defense would need to improve, otherwise Bernier is still our Art Ross hopeful.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Kessel has the ability to score at an Art Ross pace for long stretches, but then he also goes ice cold. I don't know if it's just the nature of being a sniper or whatever, but he won't win one unless it all comes together and he has one of those dream seasons.

Kessel also uses a very whippy stick, which limits his arsenal of shots to basically that sling-wrister most of the time. He has no slap shot and isn't a one time threat at all. I wonder if it would do him some good to switch to a more versatile stick to give himself more options aside from the wrister and the tap in. The bomb wrister is nice, but when that's neutralized it doesn't hurt to have other looks.

He doesn't have a slap shot? He doesn't use it often but he certainly has it.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Idk if I remember correctly, but wasn't Kessel the league leader in points for the first 30-40 games of the 2011-12 season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad