News Article: Will Phil Kessel Be an Art Ross Trophy Contender for Maple Leafs in 2014-15?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
6th, 8th, and 6th in the last 3 seasons, so yes, he will contend. Will he win? Probably not.

Why do you keep posting bleacherreport articles? That's a better question.

Disgruntled Observer*

With bozak as his centre, no way.
But as kessel critic, even I have to admit that with a proper number 1 C, he would have a shot at the art Ross.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
No.

Could he finish very high in the Art Ross trophy race? Yes, he has for 3 straight seasons. However, if Crosby, Malkin or Stamkos play close to 82 games they will beat him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kessel has the ability to score at an Art Ross pace for long stretches, but then he also goes ice cold. I don't know if it's just the nature of being a sniper or whatever, but he won't win one unless it all comes together and he has one of those dream seasons.

Kessel also uses a very whippy stick, which limits his arsenal of shots to basically that sling-wrister most of the time. He has no slap shot and isn't a one time threat at all. I wonder if it would do him some good to switch to a more versatile stick to give himself more options aside from the wrister and the tap in. The bomb wrister is nice, but when that's neutralized it doesn't hurt to have other looks.

hockeyfanz*

With bozak as his centre, no way.
But as kessel critic, even I have to admit that with a proper number 1 C, he would have a shot at the art Ross.

Right there is the answer. NO.

Imagine Joe Thornton as Phil Kessel's center.

Art Ross would go to one of them.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Kessel also uses a very whippy stick, which limits his arsenal of shots to basically that sling-wrister most of the time. He has no slap shot and isn't a one time threat at all. I wonder if it would do him some good to switch to a more versatile stick to give himself more options aside from the wrister and the tap in. The bomb wrister is nice, but when that's neutralized it doesn't hurt to have other looks.

He has one of the best wristers in the league, why should he weaken it to try to get a better slapshot? Especially since he can take snapshots.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

I would say kessel is not "entering his prime" as that suggests as when the season starts he'll be 27. Forwards usually peak around 24-27, and if we look at Kessel's numbers they seem to indicate that.

of course he may have a "dream season" where everything just goes right, and there' certainly nothing wrong with a 40 goal / PPG winger at all.

but .. this report - I'd certainly give the nod as far as "odds" to seguin (and no, not starting that debate) .. but at the age of 22 he certainly isn't anywhere close to peaking.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd say Kessel has plateaued since he's been at a PPG pace for the past three years.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Kessel has the ability to score at an Art Ross pace for long stretches, but then he also goes ice cold. I don't know if it's just the nature of being a sniper or whatever, but he won't win one unless it all comes together and he has one of those dream seasons.

imo this is why he's never reached 40 you need to be able to score multiple ways in order to get to 40, he basically has a wrister/snap shot no back hand, no slap shot, no one timer, and he doesn't score dirty goals or tip ins.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's never scored more than 37, so he's got room to improve.

When Toronto acquired Kessel 6 year's ago he was coming off a 36 goal season. Now his career best is 37 goals.

Hopefully now that he is making $8 mil per we start seeing 40+ seasons at regularity.

He has been a PPG and the Art Ross is awarded to the player that leads the NHL in scoring.

The plan is to actually cut back Kessel's icetime and play the 4th more which might actually decrease his offense not increase it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
imo this is why he's never reached 40 you need to be able to score multiple ways in order to get to 40, he basically has a wrister/snap shot no back hand, no slap shot, no one timer, and he doesn't score dirty goals or tip ins.

There was a nice comparison between he and Stamkos floating around somewhere, and it basically said that whereas Kessel can be fairly passive at times on the power play, Stamkos is actively positioning himself for a one time opportunity which makes him a one strike threat or a garbage goal threat depending on the situation. Because Kessel uses such a specialized stick he isn't able to utilize that aspect as a second option, so teams can usually defend him by taking away his space and time for a wrister. Kessel's really evolved his playmaking game over the years, but he's at a pretty consistent level now. I wouldn't be surprised to see his production spike one of these years but 80 odd points sounds about right. Hopefully he'll also evolve his conditioning so he can keep his speed later into his career. 27 isn't young for a scorer whose game is built on speed.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012

No hes so used to it its what makes him special...

I would say it would do him good to give him a serious one time threat to pass too over on the other side of the umbrella, James Neal woulda been nice.. Maybe Phaneuf or Gardiner can be that guy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess it's possible, more likely he has a better chance at the Lady Bing.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
For him to realistically be a contender, Crosby and Malkin would both need to miss significant time.

If they don't, I'd say he's a contender for a top 5 finish just like he was this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For him to realistically be a contender, Crosby and Malkin would both need to miss significant time.

If they don't, I'd say he's a contender for a top 5 finish just like he was this year.

Crosby finished 24 points ahead of Kessel last year on only 36 goals which for Crosby would be considered an off year as he has shared the Rocket before with 51 in a season.

Crosby would need to miss at least 1/4 of a season to level the playing field with Kessel in points.

I think Stamkos is the potential #1 challenger for the Art Ross behind Crosby, as Stevie can get 50 goals in a season in his sleep.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Crosby finished 24 points ahead of Kessel last year on only 36 goals which for Crosby would be considered an off year as he has shared the Rocket before with 51 in a season.

Crosby would need to miss at least 1/4 of a season to level the playing field with Kessel in points.

I think Stamkos is the potential #1 challenger for the Art Ross behind Crosby, as Stevie can get 50 goals in a season in his sleep.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Crosby's 51 goal season is an outlier. He's only had one other season with as prolific a goal scoring pace, and the rest settle in around the 32-39 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00