Will Nolan Finish Off The Season?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's Bucky so there is a lot of snark that isn't needed... but there was some stuff that I've never heard before ..

It's only a matter of time now. At some point, Tim Murray is going to hire his own man to replace Ted Nolan behind the bench to usher the Sabres through the next phase of their massive rebuilding project.

Who? When?

Murray will scroll down his list of candidates when he reaches the point of no return, when he deems enough is enough, when he believes the timing is just right and gives Nolan the heave-ho. It will likely happen after this season even though Nolan would have two years left on his contract.

The two have a strange relationship, assuming they have one at all. It explains why Nolan didn’t hear about a seven-player deal that included franchise defenseman, Tyler Myers, a player Nolan said the Sabres should build around, until the paperwork was complete.

Nolan knows the drill. As he said Thursday, managers manage, coaches coach and players play. He didn’t need some transparent vote of confidence from Murray to feel secure and do his job. He needed players. He needed an organization trying to win. Instead, Nolan and his players were set up for failure this season.

For Murray to suggest otherwise is an insult to your intelligence, which is starting to become business as usual at First Niagara Center. Murray claiming he was trying to win was almost as amusing as Ted Black telling us Pat LaFontaine resigned last season to spend more time with his family.

Nolan has been the elephant in the room since LaFontaine’s unceremonious exit last season. He’s a LaFontaine guy. By the looks of things, Murray is dropping hints that he’s considering a coaching change and allowing the fan base to digest the possibility before executing his plan.

Murray ultimately will assess player development, defined by him and based on his criteria. The team he assembled is so bad that it’s nearly impossible to fairly evaluate the coaching staff. How does anyone know if Nolan is doing his job based on results of a team that was built for failure?

Nolan doesn’t need anyone defending him. He has been through more hardship than anyone in the organization, enough to make him numb to the possibility that he’ll be gone. What he’s experiencing now is nothing new. He’s financially secure. He’s not worried about his future, and he’s unafraid to speak his mind.

Just remember that he refused to sign a confidentiality agreement when Murray handed him a three-year deal. Nolan knows what has happened behind the scenes. He knows where the bones are located, the whys and why nots that have gone unanswered since he arrived. This is likely his last job.

You want to fire him? Fire him.

I’d love to hear what he had to say.

It’s important to note that I have spoken to Nolan only sparingly this season. I have almost no relationship with Murray, but I appreciate his gift for evaluating young talent. I found him entertaining with his porky, straightforward approach when he arrived. I respected the fact that he made the seven-player swap Wednesday without flinching.

For better or worse, people seem to forget Murray was hand-picked by LaFontaine with an entirely different front-office structure in mind than what you see today. Remember, on the day Murray was hired, LaFontaine said he wasn’t finished building the hockey department. Looking back, Murray was named GM to lure him from Ottawa during the season.

The master plan called for him to be one part of hockey department that never was fully rebuilt before LaFontaine, ahem, resigned. The Ottawa Sun last January reported that LaFontaine planned to add Newport Sports agent Craig Oster to become assistant general manager.

Who is Craig Oster?

He works for the same agency that represented LaFontaine during his playing days. He's a skilled negotiator with connections to top players. He also happens to represent Sam Reinhart and Evander Kane, among others. Oster apparently was willing to take a massive pay cut for a management position in Buffalo because he respected LaFontaine and was excited to work with Murray.

Oster would have handled contracts and had a major say in trades while handling the media. Murray would have continued evaluating prospects, handled the draft and had a major say in trades. LaFontaine would have answered directly to Terry Pegula, helped lure top free agents, stood as the face of the organization and added his two cents on player movement.

It made sense. In fact, several organizations are structured in similar fashion.

So why did it crumble?

LaFontaine was rubbed out in a power struggle that was rife with office politics and cronyism, a move that also chased Oster. If Murray played any role in LaFontaine’s departure, it was minimal. He was mostly out of the office while scouting players. We may never know exactly what happened.

LaFontaine signed a confidentiality agreement (see: hush money) and returned to NHL offices. The Sabres certainly can’t be trusted to tell the truth, not after Black made LaFontaine’s dismissal sound like an amicable divorce, not after Murray tried selling the idea losing hasn’t been a strategy.

Quick question: Has anyone from the Sabres’ front office called LaFontaine to see how things are going with his family, especially when his son is playing for the Junior Sabres and committed to Canisius? Wouldn’t at least one person in power stay in touch with a former co-worker who left peacefully for personal reasons?

The organization has been intent on distancing itself from LaFontaine, who presented Dominik Hasek when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame but among the missing when his jersey was retired. It would have made sense for one La-La-La-LaFontaine highlight to be included in the montage honoring Rick Jeanneret's greatest calls after he returned to the booth.
Folks, that wasn't a simple oversight. It was a slight. And it was petty.

It brings us back to Nolan, a LaFontaine loyalist to the bone whose career is littered with pettiness. If Murray wants to fire Nolan, that’s his decision. But if Murray believes he’s immune to the same, he’s sadly mistaken. Murray shouldn't forget LaFontaine hired him. That makes him a LaFontaine guy.

And he, too, can be replaced.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hodgson is the type of player that needs to play with talent around him to be effective. Like when he was putting up some good numbers between Vanek and Pomminville, but then severely regressed when they moved him out of that spot.

Couple things

1) Hodgson needs players that can create time and space for him. Vanek was basically the one that did that for him here. Once Vanek left his game regressed but I wouldn't say severely. That severe regression happened this year.

2) But the other thing with Hodgson during his little run with Vanek/Pommer was he was terrible defensively. To the point that his very good 2.91 goals for per/60mins @ ES was dwarfed by his atrocious 3.64 goals against/60mins @ ES (13th worst among NHL forward with 20+ games). So even when he was at his most productive the other team was still more likely to score than we were when he was on the ice. He was a net negative.

In summary Hodgson needs not only players to create time and space for him to be successful offensively. But he also needs players that are strong defensively to cover for his weak defensive play.

With the above in mind I don't see Hodgson ever playing center for this team long term. Murray wants a team like LA that has strong two way play at center. Hodgson is not nor will ever by that type of center. Also the young center talent talent we have or is coming are better players in general than Hodgson or at least better defensively. Guys like Girgs, Reinhart, 2015 1st rounder and Grigs. So that means Hodgson's likely future is on the wing. Can he become an effective scoring winger? I think its possible but its not happening this year with the lack of center talent on the current roster. So my question becomes is Murray going to wait to see if Hodgson becomes that player?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Side-rant, but I can't stand Bucky's writing "style". Is it really necessary to make a new paragraph for every sentence?

I mean, what's the point?

Why do you need to space everything out so much?

Can't you just, you know...

Write full paragraphs?

Ugh.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I really liked the Hockey Department structure he was speaking about that was suppose to happen when LaFontaine was here.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's Bucky so there is a lot of snark that isn't needed... but there was some stuff that I've never heard before ..

I can picture Bucky in his basement office with his tinfoil hat on typing away. He's never ever ever ever going to let go of LaFontaine leaving.

So an article that could have been focused on the here and now in regards to Nolan's status regresses back into conspiracy land and Lafontaine.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Just a couple things, first time poster long time reader here lol.

Welcome!

2) CoHo has not had a very good season there is no question about that. VAN moved him early in his career for Kassian (a player with probably 3rd line potential). Hodgson is awful in his own zone, refuses to hit someone and it is extremely embarrassing to watch him even attempt to block a shot. I think with his foot speed and even his overall game is not at the NHL level. He isn't good enough to be a top two line player especially this season and doesn't have the work ethic or defensive skill to be on the bottom two lines.

Sigh.

1) Hodgson hasn't just had a "not very good season", he's had a dismal season.

2) Canucks did not move Hodgson for who mgmt imagined to have a 3rd line ceiling. The initial argument for the trade was actually that they wanted "bigger", and only when hounded by media long after the trade (once kicked out of the playoffs without Hodgson who had generated some solid offense and without Kassian who had been tossed as unready for the NHL altogether), did mgmt (primarily the GM) add to the tale little "comments" intended to deflect attention away from his decision-making and onto the player, aka: he inferred Hodgson was a "character problem" and that they had "sheltered" Hodgson to put up points so he'd be tradeable, aka: that the Canucks had scammed Buffalo into the trade (and yeah, there's a reason Gillis wasn't known for having good relationships with other GMs, lol).

If you actually follow the threads of the time and look for the sources rather than repeat what others repeat, you'll learn that never once was it actually said that Hodgson's "daddy" had anything to do with it, that Hodgson asked for more ice time or demanded a trade. Everything that was ultimately concluded by the fan base came from the GM's attempt to deflect attention from himself and it worked. Heck, later a fan would direct a tweet at Hodgson's agent with a comment about the kid's "daddy", and the fact that the agent didn't outright deny the involvement of Hodgson's dad suddenly turned into years of "daddy comments". Crazy stuff, but that's how nasty rumors are made.

Net result? Chances are that Hodgson was "sheltered" only as much as most rookies are (and should be), but that he and the Canucks coach of the day (who back then was a raw NHL coach and very much of the Nolan type who loved his grinders more than the world - just as Trevor Linden, lol) weren't on the same page, with Kesler-The-Walking-Injured-Ego contributing the mix, and the rookie was traded precisely for the reason initially cited by the GM at the time - Canucks wanted to get "bigger". The rest came later and was built on empty speculation and the ease with which nasty gossip spreads.

3) Hodgson is not "awful" in his one zone, nor he is the worst defensive forward on the team by far. Before all of this, he was actually scouted for his two-way game, and he also wasn't looking so bad as one of the regular pk guys for the stretch before Nolan. He *is* however not the fastest guy and tends to play more stick than body, that's his style. Much like a Henrik Sedin, incidentally, who was labeled "soft" and a "sister" back in his first years, but as we've seen since, is actually just a different type of physical player. Not the grinder type that it's easy to "see" the strength on a TV screen.

Still, Hodgson isn't the best defensively and sure has the weakness of being slower so far, so the labeling persists despite that he's actually become more physical under Nolan's pushing (for that I'm glad of Nolan's influence, btw) - for the most recent example, see his play to take out PK Subban and set up Stafford's goal. I say most recent example, because that was actually the last game he was allowed to play, go figure.

4) He is no more "embarrassing" to watch block a shot than any other forward who is more of a skilled than physical guy (see Moulson, for an example).

5) The only way in which Hodgson's "work ethic" has been remotely questioned goes to how we "see" him not play the physical game on the TV screen. That just is not his style, deal with it or don't. But questioning the kid's "work ethic" is otherwise ludicrous. This kid has never come across in interviews as any sort of ego-busting brat, he gets to came in shape, there's never a quest of his shape/condition, and there's lots of reports/commentary out there about how hard he works in the off season to continue to improve (see: his trainer's comments to lash out at Canucks' management for their insinuations, see the Sabres press re: the skating coach Hodgson has worked with, etc.).

All in, you want to question if the kid fits this roster, I'm with you. I'd like to see him traded actually. You want to diss his speed or flag that he's not as physical as to be expected of a traditional bottom six, I'm with you 100%.

But harping on the old refrain about his defensive play, you may as well put him into context with the Stewarts and Moulson's of the team who are arguably by far worse, and questioning his work ethic is akin to questioning his character - and you just gotta notice how he's dealt with this entire mess to realize that for whatever flaws there are in his game, he's of quality character.

If he isn't traded, waived, or otherwise shipped to Europe after this comedy of a season, he's actually precisely the character you want centering/winging a couple of rookie super-stars in the making. He's young enough to connect, but also has the maturity of surviving the microscope, is calm, unassuming, supportive, and a heck of an unselfish play-maker.

Trade him. Please.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I really liked the Hockey Department structure he was speaking about that was suppose to happen when LaFontaine was here.
I did too and then it turned to doom and gloom and kinda made me wonder what is really going on behind the scenes. I'm not too ecstatic about an AHL coach from Binghampton possibly coming in. We need a proven coach but then I remember how Murray said or someone mentioned Murray liked to stick his nose in the coaches business and a coach like Babcock wouldn't have that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I'm very glad it never came to pass. WAY too many cooks in the kitchen. Basically Patty wanted to be the GM and have an assistant GM advise him. If you recall Patty wanted to extend Miller and was known to be of that mindset as recently as a few days before he was traded.

It would have been a cluster**** of epic proportions had he stayed on. I mean having your recently hired GM and top hockey department guy not on the same page only weeks after hiring him seems pretty ****ed up.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm very glad it never came to pass. WAY too many cooks in the kitchen. Basically Patty wanted to be the GM and have an assistant GM advise him. If you recall Patty wanted to extend Miller and was known to be of that mindset as recently as a few days before he was traded.

It would have been a cluster**** of epic proportions had he stayed on.

Well yeah. I guess what I meant was I liked the idea of Greg Oster being the AGM and did contracts and having an iconic figure head leading the way to help lure UFA's ... The iconic figure head wouldnt have to be Lafontaine.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

It would have been a cluster**** of epic proportions had he stayed on. I mean having your recently hired GM and top hockey department guy not on the same page only weeks after hiring him seems pretty ****ed up.
Agreed. Too many cooks and you never get a bold move, either. I may hate the Myers deal, but I respect what it represents and how badly we need a gm who can do that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed. Too many cooks and you never get a bold move, either. I may hate the Myers deal, but I respect what it represents and how badly we need a gm who can do that.

Exactly. Having power struggles over trades where several guys have a say would paralyze our ability to make bold moves.

I like that this team is completely Murray's. It allows him to have a vision and to implement it. If it fails then its his failure.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well yeah. I guess what I meant was I liked the idea of Greg Oster being the AGM and did contracts and having an iconic figure head leading the way to help lure UFA's ... The iconic figure head wouldnt have to be Lafontaine.

Oh ok. My issue was with the specific set up LaFontaine wanted. He certainly wasn't going to be a figure head.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Bucky writes like he knows the travesty that was experienced by Lafontaine, but then claims we will never know what happened. There was a power struggle and he lost.

I am way over the LaFontaine saga. It looked goofy for the organization at the time.

Bucky expects the team to reach out to him because his son was playing for the Junior Sabres and committed to Canisius. This is drivel.

As fro the organization structure, it might have been fine, but I like that Murray is strictly business and seems pretty in control of his decision making, his communication with ownership. He does not BS.

As for his relationship with Nolan. He lets Nolan coach and expects Nolan to deal with what he is given. He manages. They both understand it.

At this point, Nolan is a motivational coach only. He has more quips than x's and o's. Try hard. Don't quit. Keep your head in the game. You are showcasing yourself.

Fine, when it is time to get system in place to develop the team, Murray will hire someone else to steer the ship.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Side-rant, but I can't stand Bucky's writing "style". Is it really necessary to make a new paragraph for every sentence?

I mean, what's the point?

Why do you need to space everything out so much?

Can't you just, you know...

Write full paragraphs?

Ugh.

Seriously, I couldn't get through the whole article. It's like he's trying to copy Friedman's 30 Thoughts but with less thinking occuring.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Only interesting part of that is Nolan refused to sign the NDA. Means it could be interesting down the road when he gets fired -- if that happens.

Otherwise, I got that bucky knows a guy who would've come on if lafontaine had stayed, that lafontaine had a kid who plays for the Jr sabres ( how would Bucky even know that the organization doesn't keep touch?), and that there's some circumstantial evidence that the brass in the organization has a strained relationship with him, which you'd expect.

Is it petty? Eh, if it is, it's not significant.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Seriously, I couldn't get through the whole article. It's like he's trying to copy Friedman's 30 Thoughts but with less thinking occuring.

Friedman's 30 thoughts is usually more like 17 thoughts with weird paragraph breaks to add extra numbers. Maybe he should just re-name the column and go easy on himself.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I always forget about Craig Patrick. How much say does he have behind the scenes. He was an advisor no? I wonder what he thinks about the situation, also I'm surprised Bucky left him out.

Bps21*

I thought it was accepted that LaFontaine walked because he thought he was in charge of the hockey department and then found out Ken Sawyer could overrule him.

Either way...I'm not sad LaFontaine is gone. I'll always thank him for taking his job seriously and not hiring just another guy with ties to Buffalo to be the GM here. He, IMO, hit a home run with Murray. There's no way to know how it would go with Murray, LaFontaine, Sawyer, and a hand picked assistant all putting their hands into the pot...but I like the way it is now. Murray is pretty creative and bold in how he's going about trades. I love it. Not saying it couldn't have worked the other way...but I like how it is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad