Will Montgomery be fired and when?

Does Montgomery get fired and when?

• Total voters

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Monty gets at least this year and probably more. You can't just keep firing coaches every couple years. This is the 3rd head coach since our core guys have been in their prime. The focus should be on Benn and Nill.

The season is far from over and far from a disaster yet but if this continues then Nill will probably be first to go or the organization will have to work some magic to ship Benn and that contract out of here. You can't go through Ruff, Hitch and now Monty and not look at what has been the constant through all three.

All the moves we made have been meh so far. Pavelski and Sekera have been average and Perry is out. I would bring Gurianov back up and not let Monty send him back down. I don't care if he screws up. The guy needs confidence and this coaching staff has done everything for two years to kill all confidence. The team needs another goal scorer in the worst way. You can only have so many 3rd/4th line grinders in the line up.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
From Shapiro: Nill isn't allowed to hire another coach. If Monty doesn't work out, Nill is done

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
If firing the coach didn't work the first two times with this core, why would it work now? The three assistants are all former head coaches as well.

At this point if things don't improve, it's time to accept that the core is flawed and start moving out vets for whatever return is available.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If the season keeps going this way I think both him and Nill will get canned at the end of the season.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Monty gets fired by the new GM. While you're at tossing out Jim the Dim, toss out the wanker lawyer with the foul mouth and get a real hockey guy to run operations and development.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If firing the coach didn't work the first two times with this core, why would it work now? The three assistants are all former head coaches as well.

At this point if things don't improve, it's time to accept that the core is flawed and start moving out vets for whatever return is available.
While I also don’t think running in a parade of coaches looks good, they do need to be realistic about what they have. If the organization truly thinks Monty isn’t the guy, they need to let him go. Keeping a guy around just because of a fear of what media types will write about it is not a good idea. Having a good coach is more important than good press.

I say this not knowing whether Monty is a good coach or bad coach. I don’t know what the players or front office thinks. Unless we get a situation like the Senators had with their Uber driver, we’re probably not going to know how he’s really doing.

I do know Monty was a hire done outside the normal channels. There aren’t a lot of guys who go from NCAA to NHL head coach. This alone makes me a bit skeptical that he might be a guy who just wasn’t quite ready for the job. He might go on to be a good coach with more experience.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Not even going to vote. I'm tired of the carousel bullshit. Everyone knows this is Nill's fault at this point.

I feel bad for Gaglardi with how much money and passion he's poured into this team.

I'm from Cincinnati where for years I've seen an absolute scumbag and dipshit of an owner ruin a professional football franchise with his greed and stupidity.

Gaglardi is the exact opposite of Mike Brown but everyone he's hired so far has failed him.

Reactions: Abilify

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Not even going to vote. I'm tired of the carousel bull****. Everyone knows this is Nill's fault at this point.

I feel bad for Gaglardi with how much money and passion he's poured into this team.

I'm from Cincinnati where for years I've seen an absolute ******* and dip**** of an owner ruin a professional football franchise with his greed and stupidity.

Gaglardi is the exact opposite of Mike Brown but everyone he's hired so far has failed him.
Gaglardi is responsible for the Hitch season that was a total mess.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Not even going to vote. I'm tired of the carousel bull****. Everyone knows this is Nill's fault at this point.

I'm from Cincinnati where for years I've seen an absolute ******* and dip**** of an owner ruin a professional football franchise with his greed and stupidity.

But is he? He clearly either is complicit with or outright wants the direction this organization is in. Pick up some aging veterans, sell a few extra jerseys because fandom for this team is so incredibly fleeting. Torn between being Florida where the big draw is to see the Leafs come to town in the winter, or Vegas where there's a new crowd every night. (yes, there are regular STHs but they're probably not the money maker), or being a team with an actual legacy and no need to build for the long term like Boston.

He's poured a lot of money into this team and he seems like the kind of guy who wants more than just a tax deduction, so he gets the over engineered revenue streams and non-organic growth that's pretty much a Dallas thing.

Why are we at all surprised given the last 13 years of how this team has been built? Built to be just good enough to keep fans coming back, but not good enough to make consistent playoff runs, or bad enough to acquire enough talent to float the franchise on. Being fed the same whitewash about late round talent and 'good trading' and 'winning the offseason'.

In the end, it's just professional sports. Should we be angry about how they conduct business? Probably.

Also, Monty shouldn't be fired for any problems this team has. Because there are guys on this team who clearly want to play, play well, and win. And they shouldn't be trying to move them to a real winning team because they don't fit the bubble team mold.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think Montgomery or the coaching staff as a whole is at fault for the problems the team has. Most of those have been existent for many years.

I for example refuse to believe the way the powerplay plays has anything to do with the system. That has to be on the players. Nobody moves around and just cycling around the perimeter without ever shooting ? That absolutely has to be on the players . Why they tune out the coaches and just do this nonsense ? I have no idea but this happened for years now way before this coaching staff has been hired.

The parts of the team that works fine are those where most roleplayers play , the PK and the depth lines and the parts that don't work is where the big guns play , the PP and the first two lines.

Something is just not right with the supposed leader on the team. Every once in a while they even in the worst games they try for a while and it looks great for a bit and then they just again stop playing hard for large streches and the worst example of that is Jamie Benn.

Its like he just coasts for 80% of his shifts and sometimes randomly something ticks him off and he tries hard because he's pissed off.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Something is just not right with the supposed leader on the team. Every once in a while they even in the worst games they try for a while and it looks great for a bit and then they just again stop playing hard for large streches and the worst example of that is Jamie Benn.

Its like he just coasts for 80% of his shifts and sometimes randomly something ticks him off and he tries hard because he's pissed off.

Yea this is exactly it. The players on the team have said that they follow Jamie's lead. Jamie is the reason they come out slow every damn night. He doesn't start giving 100% until he gets hit hard or they're about to lose with 10 minutes left. It's the "culture of mediocrity." Everyone's a bit too chill in there and it starts from the Captain.

Reactions: gentleman scholar

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
I am quite surprised that these crappy dump and chase 1 goal scoring performances are mostly Nill's fault... this team is average at least and Nill should be fired as well because of his drafting record alone, but Montgomery must go first IMO

Reactions: joshik

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I am quite surprised that these crappy dump and chase 1 goal scoring performances are mostly Nill's fault... this team is average at least and Nill should be fired as well because of his drafting record alone, but Montgomery must go first IMO
the coach is 100% at fault for that stupid shit, but Nill is reportedly not allowed to hire another coach, Montgomery is his last shot, if Monty is getting canned, Nill is too.
Once Nill goes, the new GM likely says GTFO to Monty as well.

The only thing that worries me, is that they bring in probably the only gm worse than Nill in Chia once they do inevitable fire him

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The power play really baffles me. Standing around has been the norm for several years, three coaches (or more) and a slew of players. Not to mention the annual "We're going to move it around more this year" mantra. Watching the Caps move it around the other night was fun (except the result for us). I have no idea how or why the Stars can't figure that out. You would think the players would be motivated by the chance to build their stats at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad