Will Mcdavid leave the Oilers?

Will Mcdavid leave the Oilers?

• Total voters

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I can't see him requesting a trade. He'll play out his contract and if the Oilers, as hard to imagine as it may be, are still icing a mediocre team he can leave with a clear conscience.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Absolutely. Quality of life is terrible in EDM, if you’re not wining there’s literally no reason to want to be there.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Will he? Not sure

Should he? Yes

Is he allowed? No

Why so sure? McDavid's reaction to oilers winning the lottery to draft him

I don't think he will, after all only 20 months ago the Oilers were within a goal of the conference final. Because he signed a deal for the max term the day he was eligible to sign leaves me with the believe that he is in it to win. He knows they have some great pieces looking forward and I think he really believes in the core of the club.

All he has to do is look at some of the similar young cores in the league, Buffalo and Toronto come to mind. Teams that have had virtually no playoff success even though they are trending upward in the regular season. Playoff success means a lot for these young players, you need to believe in your core, he signed for 8 yrs because he know he can win.
If he didn't believe he would just have signed a 5 or 6 yr deal that takes him to free agency because he had to. It'm my believe you may see this with some young pieces on other teams shortly.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Absolutely. Quality of life is terrible in EDM, if you’re not wining there’s literally no reason to want to be there.

I agree its not San Jose or Tampa in regards to quality of life. But its certainly ranked higher than places like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver. So I agree it might not be perfect but still better than some of the Canadian markets. Check out the rankings below.

https://universitymagazine.ca/cities-best-quality-life-canada-2018/

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I wager if the new GM doesn't fix the mess, he will leave by the end or prior to his contract.

Pick an option.

I would have bet my life that he would stay in Edmonton until the end of his contract, I’m no so sure anymore. They are still a long way from being a truly competitive team.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo

it is comments like this that cause me to lose hope for intelligent conversations on this site. Edmonton is very nice in the summer time. I bet if I created a thread on Matthews not wanting to stay in TO. You'd be up in arms very quickly.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I agree its not San Jose or Tampa in regards to quality of life. But its certainly ranked higher than places like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver. So I agree it might not be perfect but still better than some of the Canadian markets. Check out the rankings below.

Lol did you look at the criteria? They factor in things like cost of living. The avarage house in Toronto costs just under a million while in Edmonton costs 300-350k. Why? Ever consider why it costs more to live in Toronto? Food, entertainment, events, culture, you think Edmonton is even on the same spectrum?

Your list also has Hamilton Ontario on it. My only question to you is whether you’ve ever actually left your town? It seems difficult to believe anyone whose travelled Canada would choose Hamilton in their top 10.

McDavid will tolerate Edmonton if the team is good.. but with the current state, you’ve gotta wonder when his patience will run out. Anthony Davis finally did after 6-7 years of mediocrity. Professional athletes have short careers. You can’t afford to waste seasons.

Reactions: leafs94

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Oilers are the best team in the league with McDavid on the ice and they're the worst team in the league when he's on the bench.
Basically, he could leave and go to a middle of the pack team and probably win a Cup in the first few seasons or go to a contender and win in his first year on the team.

Feelings aside, why wouldn't he leave at the first chance he get?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

This is about the quality of life for people making average money, they can spend a bit more going out for dinner and things like that, it does not have anything to do with millionaire fun.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think if he cares about winning/his legacy he will ask for a trade.

Similar to what Anthony Davis just did in the NBA.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Don't think he will but hope he does. I like the oilers but I don't see them being good without another rebuild and would hate for McDavid to waste his prime years there (more than he already has at least).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Doesnt he have an 8 year contract?
They just released their GM
Kind of early to ask something like this. He already signed long term

Reactions: OmniCube

member 157595

Does he have an 8 year contract?
They just released their GM
Kind of early to ask something like this. He already signed long term

Quiet you, on this forum we are looking for sensationalism, hot takes and bait. Take your reasonable opinion somewhere else.

Reactions: Peggy and sparxx87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Nobody knows anything about McDavid's intentions. Still doesn't stop others from assuming he's all but assured to play for a certain franchise.
I’d think his intentions are in Edmonton right now. The question is asking more of whether he’ll be there beyond this contract. I don’t even think he could answer that right now, it’ll depend on a lot of things. If the Oilers are able to right the ship I think his first choice would be as a lifelong Oiler... but if the next 8 years go like the last 8, I’d almost guarantee he doesn’t resign. I’m not sure that would surprise anyone, though.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Lol did you look at the criteria? They factor in things like cost of living. The avarage house in Toronto costs just under a million while in Edmonton costs 300-350k. Why? Ever consider why it costs more to live in Toronto? Food, entertainment, events, culture, you think Edmonton is even on the same spectrum?

Your list also has Hamilton Ontario on it. My only question to you is whether you’ve ever actually left your town? It seems difficult to believe anyone whose travelled Canada would choose Hamilton in their top 10.

McDavid will tolerate Edmonton if the team is good.. but with the current state, you’ve gotta wonder when his patience will run out. Anthony Davis finally did after 6-7 years of mediocrity. Professional athletes have short careers. You can’t afford to waste seasons.

I didn't create the list, just reposted it. I've lived in both the GTA and Edmonton, obviously its not close for quality of life, Edmonton is much better in my opinion. You are right about winning, to keep you players you need to win, especially to keep a guy like Mcdavid. I just pointed out that he can look around the league at places like Toronto and Buffalo and see that they have had zero playoff success so far. There are worse places for him to be.

I good indication of if he was happy would be that he signed for max contract the the first date he could. I don't follow Toronto at all but Ive heard that isn't the case with any of the leafs big 3 young players, in fact isn't Auston looking to sign a short term deal? You may be right, maybe he's looking at quality of life in a place like Arizona over Toronto.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
lol apparently the quality of life in Toronto is much better in the winters ....,. Lived in 3 cities Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton as surprisingly a decent city clean, quiet and lots of shopping malls. All canadian cities are freezing in the winter except for Vancouver. Homers :ha:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think he is there until the last year of his contract. If the Oilers still haven't figured it out by then he is good as gone. Fortunately for the Oilers that is a long time away from now, and a lot can change in that time.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I didn't create the list, just reposted it. I've lived in both the GTA and Edmonton, obviously its not close for quality of life, Edmonton is much better in my opinion. You are right about winning, to keep you players you need to win, especially to keep a guy like Mcdavid. I just pointed out that he can look around the league at places like Toronto and Buffalo and see that they have had zero playoff success so far. There are worse places for him to be.

I good indication of if he was happy would be that he signed for max contract the the first date he could. I don't follow Toronto at all but Ive heard that isn't the case with any of the leafs big 3 young players, in fact isn't Auston looking to sign a short term deal? You may be right, maybe he's looking at quality of life in a place like Arizona over Toronto.
Yeah, that’s definitely a matter of opinion. Generally speaking, a place like Toronto or Montreal has a lot more that would appeal to the lifestyle of a professional athlete in almost every department I can think of, but yeah, you’re right, it’s a matter of opinion.

I don’t think past success weighs as heavily as current situation and future outlook. You could have easily said the Wings, Hawks, Kings etc lacked recent success before they went several years as contenders. What are the chances today, and for the next few years when you look at the roster? Are you confident in management that they’ll continue to push and improve the team? That’s really what matters.

For sure. I don’t think anyone will argue there’s not a chance Matthews might prefer Arizona or California. The Leafs can only try to put the best team around him possible and hope success will endear him to the city and franchise long term. We’ll see.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the guy played in Erie for crying out loud...instead of pulling a Lindros and demanding a trade closer to home in a big market, he chose to stick it out in a small American market
the guy isn't gonna give up on his teammates nor the city...at least not yet

if in 2 years they are not competitive, I think he starts contemplating moving to a better situation but that's far into the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad