Will Mcdavid leave the Oilers?

Will Mcdavid leave the Oilers?

• Total voters

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think someday he will leave, but not until after his contract expires.

As sports seem to be becoming more and more individualistic and less about the team, it's likely someday a team will appeal to him more for whatever reason (winning, money, location) particularly if he hasn't won a cup in Edmonton. But McDavid himself seems like a very loyal stand up guy who will stay with the Oilers throughout his entire contract.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think someday he will leave, but not until after his contract expires.

As sports seem to be becoming more and more individualistic and less about the team, it's likely someday a team will appeal to him more for whatever reason (winning, money, location) particularly if he hasn't won a cup in Edmonton. But McDavid himself seems like a very loyal stand up guy who will stay with the Oilers throughout his entire contract.

In hockey I don't believe this is true, the team game is more important than ever.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
If they bomb out this year, and are forced into a rebuild that will be long and painful, then yeah, I believe he will be moved within three years. Its also dependent on who comes in to coach and manage this team.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If the org still hasn't learned their lesson (and judging by Bobby Nick's presser, they haven't) then I can't seem him sticking around for much longer.

It's an absolute travesty that Katz and his band of morons are going to waste the prime of his career.

Reactions: RedHot

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He'll likely play out his contract and sign with a contender (if the Oilers aren't good).

I'd assume he may want to play in the Eastern time zone to build his brand. Doesn't have to be Toronto (relax lol), but perhaps the Rangers/Habs/Bruins/Flyers. Whichever team is doing well.

Reactions: FartMilk

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The current Oilers management will never trade him unless he makes it clear in year 7 that he will not re-sign.

We're likely stuck watching the best player of a generation waste his prime on a non-contender.

Reactions: FartMilk

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If they keep this up, which I strong Ly believe they will, I think he demands a trade within the next 2-3 seasons .

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Hes there til the end of his contract at the very least. I imagine hes there for life if the Oilers are a great team when its up

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He will stick around. He got his money, don't see why people have to feel sorry for him, but he's probably a goner if things don't turn around eventually.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He will stick around. He got his money, don't see why people have to feel sorry for him, but he's probably a goner if things don't turn around eventually.

He's on the Crosby type work ethic of hating to lose.

If the playoff-less years pile up, he won't be that happy.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
He can get the same money pretty much anywhere in the NHL and likely have more success...so this is not a big motivator for him to stay.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I feel sorry that a generational talent won't get the opportunity to be compared to the greats.

He could have 5-6 Art Ross trophies and Harts but there could always be the caveat that he spent the majority of his prime outside of the playoffs...

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If they are in the same spot by the end of his contract I think there is a chance, honestly though he strikes me as the sort of guy who would even give them one more contract and just leave when he is 31-32 after giving them every opportunity to make things right.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Will he? Not sure, he might stay and give them ample opportunities to turn it around

Should he? Well yes he should. If the oilers are in a similar position in 2 years he should leave. There is no reason to stay in Edmonton in that point and waste his prime years playing for a team struggling to make the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad