Will Matt Cooke get booed every time he touches the puck in denver?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think it's a bit childish when you boo opposing teams' star players just because they are the opposing teams' star players, but for players who have done something that deserves hatred from a fanbase, I'm totally ok with it.

Ugh thats annoying. This is fairly new right? Dont remember this as much in the 90s and 00s plus I watch a ton of vintage games and I cant hear this as much as I do now. I think it happens more so on the East as well. Although Jets fans are the worst overall for this behavior.
Kessel, Ovi, Crosby, Subban are mercilessly booed in markets where there is no connection, other than being top flight players.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Without a doubt.

With the stakes much lower here I could see Bordy or Cody Mac going after him for a fight in both games. Even if there is no fight they are gonna hit him hard every chance they get.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
This is exactly what Matt Cooke wants, and it worked on the Avs last year. Every single thing he does to disrupt a team's focus - he achieved it in that series last year. And the media and fans just eat it up and make it worse.

If you don't believe me watch ESPN's 30 for 30 about the Detroit Pistons of the 1990's. Same mentality. They want you to think about anything BUT how to perform in the game. Huge mental edge.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Cooke is too much of a gutless coward to fight someone like Bordy. He will only fight smaller people usually. But I am sure of someone like Iginla challenges him he might, I just hope he ends up like he did when he fought Evander Kane.

We could always trade for Bertuzzi and send him out there after Cooke :sarcasm:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'll say that as a Wild fan I'm not exactly brimming with pride he's on my team, even if he is a good hockey player.

Matt Cooke is not a good hockey player. He has made his living damaging other players. He's got a little speed and is a tenacious hockey player no doubt, but he's not very good at the game.

That said, I just can't wait for the day when that little snot Cooke gets another elbow to the teeth from Benn or something

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well the thug is a UFA, but if the Avalanche ever signed him or traded for him, that is the day I am no longer a Avs fan and don't know if I would come back after he is gone.

It was bad enough when fat head signed Brad Freakin May. Scores 2 goals against Abby in that game and taunts him. POS Brad May

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
It was bad enough when fat head signed Brad Freakin May. Scores 2 goals against Abby in that game and taunts him. POS Brad May

Yup, I agree, I was very unhappy about that as well. In fact I was at a Wild Avalanche game in Minnesota and sat right on the glass behind the wild bench. I was talking to one of the Wild trainers and told him to tell the Wild players to hit May hard and often, that I hated the fact he was on the team. Mario Trembley gave me the evil eye though when he came out, I guess he didn't like my Roy Avs jersey, dunno why?!?!?! :sarcasm:

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
To clarify, the Bertuzzi comment was sarcastic, and mainly in response to the fact that if Cooke wouldn't drop the gloves, Bertuzzi would still find a way to make him pay in quite an ironic situation.

If he ever was actually signed I would probably stop being an Avalanche fan, though with Sakic and Roy in the office I have no concerns of this actually happening.

m0ngr31

To clarify, the Bertuzzi comment was sarcastic, and mainly in response to the fact that if Cooke wouldn't drop the gloves, Bertuzzi would still find a way to make him pay in quite an ironic situation.

If he ever was actually signed I would probably stop being an Avalanche fan, though with Sakic and Roy in the office I have no concerns of this actually happening.

I remember reading a few years back that Sakic and Bertuzzi were friends and have gone on vacations together and stuff, so don't be so sure ;)

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
fans get a lot more bent out of shape about player reputations than players do, so it wouldn't surprise me if Bertuzzi had a lot of friends in the NHL. Heatley was pretty universally liked by players across the league and for whatever reason almost all you'd read about on here was what a dickbag he is.

Cooke, on the other hand, IIRC has had some things said about him by players that would lead you to believe he's not liked. He is, however, good at hockey. He has a "gutless" reputation for a reason, though, and that is because he almost always ducks on-ice attempts at holding him accountable for his play. I'd say always against bottom six players, and almost always against skilled players. I think he'd be willing to take a beating in the right circumstances, but it'd have to be something the other team would be crazy to consider...like one of their skilled guys willing to sit for 5 minutes just to pummel him. I doubt very much he'd accept a challenge from Bordy or McLeod. Iggy though...Interesting, and I can see both Iggy initiating, to set the tone for his tenure with the Avs as a veteran leader and Cooke accepting just because the tradeoff in penalty minutes is so one-sided. Even then it'd have to be in the right circumstances. Avs ahead, probably.
Booing gets old, and while it might affect some guys Cooke has to be in the top % as far as time spent being booed in the NHL. I don't think he'll notice. Maybe yell "you suck!" every time he coughs up the puck or misses a hit or whatever. I've always thought booing marginal players (if that is indeed how you view him) was counterproductive--it's more likely to give them an inflated sense of self-worth than depress them if it's coming from the opposition.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Probably won't even get a chance to boo him the first game, he might get suspended in preseason...

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I don't think he would even fight Cody. Cooke doesn't like to fight people who can fight, if you look at his history, its people who are skilled rather than grinders and enforcers. He also isn't a good fighter, he lost to Ilya Kovalchuk. The players on the Avs he would fight is someone like Landy, ROR or McGinn, which is why he is a gutless coward.

I would prefer him to fight cody or bordy, but I don't think cooke will be a willing partner, bad things or as I see it good things happen when he fights players who can fight.

Just curious, why is he "gutless coward", at least in the context of fighting? He isn't exactly a brutish enforcer. Would you want to fight Landy? I sure as hell wouldn't, unless I had too for some odd reason.

Say what you will about Cooke's antics and poor decision making, but suggesting someone is a "coward" because they won't fight your 4th line Quasimodo is absurd.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Just curious, why is he "gutless coward", at least in the context of fighting? He isn't exactly a brutish enforcer. Would you want to fight Landy? I sure as hell wouldn't, unless I had too for some odd reason.

Say what you will about Cooke's antics and poor decision making, but suggesting someone is a "coward" because they won't fight your 4th line Quasimodo is absurd.

The problem here is that the "some odd reason" you allude to happens to involve antics and poor decision-making.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Matt Cooke is not a good hockey player. He has made his living damaging other players. He's got a little speed and is a tenacious hockey player no doubt, but he's not very good at the game.

That said, I just can't wait for the day when that little snot Cooke gets another elbow to the teeth from Benn or something

Wrong, Matt Cooke is an excellent hockey player. It's why he still gets paychecks, in spite of his stupid decisions.

Also, Jamie Benn would be just as likely to elbow Landy in the teeth as Matt Cooke.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
It does make sense, assuming we look at fighting as a form of on-ice justice & we agree that Cooke's knee was a dirty play, which I'm not sure we do.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
It does make sense, assuming we look at fighting as a form of on-ice justice & we agree that Cooke's knee was a dirty play, which I'm not sure we do.

No it doesn't. Did you even read what I quoted?

The other poster mentioned players like Kovalchuck and Landy as players Cooke WOULD fight. My point was that most people wouldn't even want to fight them. Would you want to get into a fistfight with Gabriel Landeskog, on skates? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Cooke has already fought players on the ice that 99% of the people on these forums wouldn't dream of fighting. Again, say what you want about the dumb crap he does, but he isn't a coward for not fighting every ape that puts on a pair of skates just for your amusement.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I read your comment out of context; beg your pardon. Yeah... it probably takes guts just to go out for a shift if you're Matt Cooke. I guess if he's dragged into a fight it should be a fair one.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I read your comment out of context; beg your pardon. Yeah... it probably takes guts just to go out for a shift if you're Matt Cooke. I guess if he's dragged into a fight it should be a fair one.

Yeah. And I'm not necessarily trying to defend Cooke per say, he deserves the flak he gets; but there is definitely a tier or two below him when it comes to skill, and their "reason" for being on a team.

I'm actually more surprised that a team hasn't called up a career ahl guy to just straight up board him, or something similar between the whistle. In the grand scheme of things, fighting isn't a "punishment" to Cooke. Hell, he probably gets hurt worse blocking shots on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad