Will Marleau break Howe's all-time games played record?

Will Marleau break Howe's all-time games played record?

• Total voters

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Wait Marleau can have more gp than Howe???

Wow. I know he's played since late 90's but Howe played into 50's and Marleau is like 39??? Wow.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Agreed. IMO anybody (aka Howe) who plays well into their 50s in a professional league deserves to keep that record.

I have nothing against Marleau, he's a solid player. But opening up the record book 30 years from now and seeing Marleau's name instead of Howe for all time games played, considering all Howe did for hockey, would kind of rub me the wrong way too.

I was onboard with Jagr breaking it as he was super old and a legend himself. But Marleau all times games played record holder? Ugh.....
I agree to some extent. It doesn't look as good as having Howe there. Still, NHL don't hand out 1800 games to someone just to be nice. Marleau has kept himself competitive for 22 years, and it's pretty incredible how injury free he has been. A freak of nature.

If he beats the record, I kind of hopes he tries to play until 43-44. WOuld look better having him two-hundred games or so ahead, than playing just to beat it. As long as he gets around 40 points a season he is good enough to play.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wait Marleau can have more gp than Howe???

Wow. I know he's played since late 90's but Howe played into 50's and Marleau is like 39??? Wow.
Not sure if it’s just NHL games but Howe spent six years playing with his two kids in the old World Hockey Association for Houston.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I hope he doesn't. I'm usually excited for breaking records but Howe's GP record is one that I don't think should be broken. It wouldn't feel right.

I think the one record I didn't want to see broken was Sawchuk's shutout record. That guy was such a warrior. What he battled through literally every single game.....just would have liked to have seen that one stand.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wouldn't want to be remembered as the shell of a player hanging on for dear life that Marleau is now, but I guess there's nothing else for him to be remembered for.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not sure if it’s just NHL games but Howe spent six years playing with his two kids in the old World Hockey Association for Houston.

The record only includes NHL games. If you were to add Howe's WHA games, that would be an extra 419 games, which would then be 2186 games, though it is problematic to do a 1-for-1 conversion between the WHA and NHL.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
No problems to me if he breaks Howe's NHL-record. It wouldn't take anything out from Mr.Hockey.

Ironman aspect of him and Elder statesman -quality in a locker room combined with relatively smooth trend of decline by age, make it rather possible he will have job for next few years. Nobody won't hire him for his production alone, but the insight to the game, experience as living relic from ages long gone can have some tremendous positive influence to the youngsters in a locker room. At least he can mentor younger generations how to keep them fit by the example set by himself, and I think that his locker room presence can be sometimes a worth of several hot 1st liners... Certain leadership and mentorship roles come automatically with him, where ever he plays.
Everyone in a locker room will always listen the ancients, had they something to say, until they are gone.

He can make it if he wants to, and a fire in the furnace of his heart for hockey still burn enough bright.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I wouldn't want to be remembered as the shell of a player hanging on for dear life that Marleau is now, but I guess there's nothing else for him to be remembered for.
20 points in 55 games isn't hanging on for dear life.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
The record only includes NHL games. If you were to add Howe's WHA games, that would be an extra 419 games, which would then be 2186 games, though it is problematic to do a 1-for-1 conversion between the WHA and NHL.

Also in that case you might aswell add Jagr into the mix count his KHL/RUS/CZH games etc.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
20 points in 55 games isn't hanging on for dear life.
He’s only had 5 points in his past 15 games,He might not even hit 30 points this year and only has 10 goals. He’s hardly an impactful player, and hasn’t been for many years now.

it’s one thing to break Howe’s record, but it’s another doing it while being a pure compiler.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It really wont be. Howe played an extra 419 games in the WHA. Even if he does play more NHL games he wont be remotely close to that total. I dont think anyone will see Marleau as playing the most games even if he does break his NHL record.

marleau will certainly be considered such

there is no record for combined league totals

ImJustJokinen

Vinnie Desharnais for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Cup Parade
There are some pretty bad takes on this thread. Nothing gets taken away from Howe's legacy if his record gets beaten, and lets be honest, games played isn't exactly a prestigious record on the level of goals, points, etc.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
marleau will certainly be considered such

there is no record for combined league totals
Well ok but people know he played those games. No one will believe Marleau to be the true iron man in hockey. Read Howe's book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad