Will Lundqvist's #30 be retired?

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Definitely. After he wins 2 cups over these next 5 years he will be considered the best Ranger ever.

I think the best Ranger ever will always be Mark Messier. He wasn't just a skill guy on the ice, he was great all around.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Can we rename this thread to "Put in the rafters" instead of having the word retired in it

Also yes, his number will get retired unless he takes a swing at AV or something equally unlikely

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I think the best Ranger ever will always be Mark Messier. He wasn't just a skill guy on the ice, he was great all around.
There are some people who have overstated and continue to overstate his greatness. He was a great player and a great Ranger, but the emotion from '94 tends to cloud perceptions.

For instance, at the end of his tenure in NY he was a shell of the player he used to be, but some fans could never see anything other than a Messier placed on a pedestal.

That remains true today.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

IMO Hank easily surpasses anyone from that 94 team with a cup win.

That's mainly because of his relative success vs. his peers and that the Rangers always made the playoffs sans 1 year with him.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009

That's mainly because of his relative success vs. his peers and that the Rangers always made the playoffs sans 1 year with him.

Nope. 94 will always be the measuring stick. They got it done after 50+ years. No other ranger teams has. Not to mention all the HOF players on the 94 team.

Hank is awesome and he will be retired and probably make the HHOF but that 94 team was special and they got it done.

Its like comparing the original SNL cast to those that came later. They were never as good. There were stars and standouts but the 94 team will always be the special one

I understand that some people are just sick of hearing about the 94 cup team. MSG beats it to death so I get why people would tend to diminish the accomplishment so far removed at this point.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Yes, the reason i asked is because believe it or not, plenty of people don't think he should hang in the rafters. I wanted to see if anybody on HFBoards disagreed, nobody yet.

A couple years ago I remember certain people saying it wasn't a foregone conclusion. I think the new contract and last year's cup run have changed their minds.

Either way, it was obvious then and obvious now. Only real question left is if he's the greatest Rangers goaltender of all time. I'd say yes.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nope. 94 will always be the measuring stick. They got it done after 50+ years. No other ranger teams has. Not to mention all the HOF players on the 94 team.

Hank is awesome and he will be retired and probably make the HHOF but that 94 team was special and they got it done.

Its like comparing the original SNL cast to those that came later. They were never as good. There were stars and standouts but the 94 team will always be the special one

I understand that some people are just sick of hearing about the 94 cup team. MSG beats it to death so I get why people would tend to diminish the accomplishment so far removed at this point.

I think putting a franchise on your back and carrying it for 10 years is a better accomplishment than 1 cup run with a team littered with mercenaries.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
A couple years ago I remember certain people saying it wasn't a foregone conclusion. I think the new contract and last year's cup run have changed their minds.

Either way, it was obvious then and obvious now. Only real question left is if he's the greatest Rangers goaltender of all time. I'd say yes.

I'd say hes already the Ranger's greatest goaltender of all-time. Time will tell if he becomes the greatest Ranger ever.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Seriously?

Greatest Ranger goalie ever, all due respect to Mike.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

Leetch will always be better than Henrik unless Henrik gets some more hardware.

2x Norris, Calder, Conn Smythe, and 1000 career points as a defense man [even though all of them didnt come as a Ranger unfortunately] is more impressive than Lundqvist.

Leetch is the greatest Ranger ever in my book. It also helps his Conn Smythe run was ridiculous and he was one of the highest scoring defense men ever.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown

With plenty of respect to Richter and Giacomin, I agree.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
The only way it doesn't happen is if he's involved in som sort of heanious scandal, or he takes a **** in Dolan's coffe cup and sticks Sather's cigar in it like a flag pole. And I don't see that coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad