Will Lundqvist's #30 be retired?

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
I don't like to talk or think about the post-Lundqvist Rangers, but do you think by this point in his career, he has enough credentials to have his number 30 retired, it may be too early to tell, but i was curious what other Ranger fans think. At this point ( February 19th, 2015), he has 613 games played,(he is going to pass Mike Richter-666 games), 334 wins, .921 SV% , 2.21 GAA and a Vezina Trophy.Not to mention he was the Rangers player of the decade. He is only 32, so he still has a lot of hockey to play. I think when he wins his well deserved Stanley Cup, that will be the icing on the cake to have his #30 lifted to the rafters of MSG.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
I don't like to talk or think about the post-Lundqvist Rangers, but do you think by this point in his career, he has enough credentials to have his number 30 retired, it may be too early to tell, but i was curious what other Ranger fans think. At this point ( February 19th, 2015), he has 613 games played,(he is going to pass Mike Richter-666 games), 334 wins, .921 SV% and a 2.21 GAA.He is only 32, so he still has a lot of hockey to play. I think when he wins his well deserved Stanley Cup, that will be the icing on the cake to have his #30 lifted to the rafters of MSG.

If he brings the cup the NY yes he will have his jeresy retired. He probably will anyway but that would def make it a done deal

Graves Jersey is up there. I love the guy but ......

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Easily. Unless things get ugly late in his contract (I mean contention and not poor play), he'll get his number retired moments very shortly after he retires.

Also, retire Frank Boucher's number!

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Can you please not title posts "Lundqvist retired" in the midst of him being out with a vascular injury??

I nearly had a vascular injury myself.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
No one will ever wear #30 for the Rangers again. He could retire tomorrow (knock on wood) and his accomplishments would still be enough to get his name in the rafters.

Ratelle too. That's a ****ing travesty in itself.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I don't know. I feel like his contract preventing the Rangers from signing Paul Statsny will hinder his chances.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
Can you please not title posts "Lundqvist retired" in the midst of him being out with a vascular injury??

I nearly had a vascular injury myself.

I noticed that the title was misleading, i apologize!

LOL, thread title updated. :laugh:

LMAO Thank You!

Serious question?

Yes, the reason i asked is because believe it or not, plenty of people don't think he should hang in the rafters. I wanted to see if anybody on HFBoards disagreed, nobody yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
After hitting his 600th NHL game this season, Lundqvist essentially guaranteed himself a place in the HHoF.

The details of this are outlined in Rob Vollman's "Hockey Analytics", and as you could guess (maybe :laugh: ), I don't have that book with me here to explain in much detail.

He has this "tool" where once a player hits 100 points on the scale, he's basically guaranteed a spot in the HHoF. There are 0 players, forward, defense, or goalie, who have a score of less than 100 that are in the hall. There are also 0 players (not including active players) with a score of 100 that are out of the hall.

Lundqvist was at 95, I believe, before this season started (if I'm remembering the book correctly). Once he hit 600 games, his points get weighted a bit more accordingly.

He's over 100 now.

tl;dr - Yes, Lundqvist will have his # retired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad