Speculation: Will Lou ever make a move for offense!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yeah, the past 120 games prior to this .500 stretch pretty much shoots this down fairly easily.

isles had one playoff series win in 9 yrs with Tavares.Woohoo

I do not mind the slow skating 29 yr old is not eating up $11m-$12m per in salary. I mind that the isles bought into his " don't trade me request " and did not move him for young,cost controlled pieces.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
isles had one playoff series win in 9 yrs with Tavares.Woohoo

I do not mind the slow skating 29 yr old is not eating up $11m-$12m per in salary. I mind that the isles bought into his " don't trade me request " and did not move him for young,cost controlled pieces.
You mean they should have traded him against his wishes to Toronto 2 seasons ago and possibly pried Nylander or Marner/1st/top prospect out of Toronto? Let’s not make sense like that.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yeah, the past 120 games prior to this .500 stretch pretty much shoots this down fairly easily.

No it doesn't, because right now what the Islanders need more than anything to take that next step is a goal scorer. JT just scored 47 and is on pace for 40+ again.He's exactly what they need so saying "We don't need you" this whole time has been nonsense. It's not like they have a strong offense and are like whatever we can cover your loss fine.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You mean they should have traded him against his wishes to Toronto 2 seasons ago and possibly pried Nylander or Marner/1st/top prospect out of Toronto? Let’s not make sense like that.

That would have never happened. Leafs were rebuilding and wouldn't trade everything for 1 center who was in his prime. Besides, the answer was always the same.. If JT wants to be a Leaf he will join for free and he did.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's not Lou's fault that Stone choose Vegas' extension offer over the isles offer at last year's TDL.
And as someone pointed out above,he could not force Tavares or Panarin to accept the isles offers last summer.

That's what, the 3rd big name that turned Lou down? 4 if you count Stamkos? How many times does it need to happen before it's Lou's fault?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
No it doesn't, because right now what the Islanders need more than anything to take that next step is a goal scorer. JT just scored 47 and is on pace for 40+ again.He's exactly what they need so saying "We don't need you" this whole time has been nonsense. It's not like they have a strong offense and are like whatever we can cover your loss fine.

So you're saying the Islanders haven't been better without Tavares?

You can stick to your opinion, you just happen to be wrong.

Facts are facts.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That would have never happened. Leafs were rebuilding and wouldn't trade everything for 1 center who was in his prime. Besides, the answer was always the same.. If JT wants to be a Leaf he will join for free and he did.
Why am I convinced that whole deal was planned months in advance behind closed doors similar to how the Patriots meet with the stripes.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
So you're saying the Islanders haven't been better without Tavares?

You can stick to your opinion, you just happen to be wrong.

Facts are facts.

This is the biggest reach of an argument ever and there is no point in even going here yet again. Besides, it's not what I am saying. I am saying they are desperate for exactly what Tavares is right now, an impact goal scoring C. Therefore, it looks like if this team ever wants to win anything, they actually do need Tavares.

Going from a rotating cast of AHL coaches to a cup winning one made the Islanders better, not losing a franchise C. To argue otherwise is laughable and shows an insane amount of bias that is hard to take seriously.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
They can't hold a gun to either JT or Panarin & demand them to sign as UFA, right? They went to the team they wanted because they highly respected their wife's wishes which any good man would do, put their family first.

I don't disagree with anything that you have written here. But I don't think it was necessarily the focus of my post. I was just expressing that I think Panarin moves this Isles roster closer towards a contender than Tavares.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Why am I convinced that whole deal was planned months in advance behind closed doors similar to how the Patriots meet with the stripes.

I don't know, I am afraid I am not qualified to diagnose any disorders that cause delusions or conspiracies. The entire thing is well documented at this point, you just ignore facts because you would rather push a narrative.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

You ignore that the isles tried giving younger,speedier goal scorers the $ earmarked for Tavares.

somewhere in HF archives,is my warning post to Isles fans that our team would end up overpaying a slowing Tavares.

Again, my complaint isn't Tavares leaving the isles ,but not getting young, cost controlled pieces for him before he left.I

I would rather have Panarin or Stone on 7/8 yr deals then the slowing Tavares on a 7/8 yr deal.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
This is the biggest reach of an argument ever and there is no point in even going here yet again. Besides, it's not what I am saying. I am saying they are desperate for exactly what Tavares is right now, an impact goal scoring C. Therefore, it looks like if this team ever wants to win anything, they actually do need Tavares.

Going from a rotating cast of AHL coaches to a cup winning one made the Islanders better, not losing a franchise C. To argue otherwise is laughable and shows an insane amount of bias that is hard to take seriously.

There's no reach. The Islanders have two centers pacing for 30 goals. They need a goal-scoring winger and a 3rd line center.

They're still better today than when Tavares was here, that's a fact.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That's what, the 3rd big name that turned Lou down? 4 if you count Stamkos? How many times does it need to happen before it's Lou's fault?
I read that Stamkos was turned off by the high pitch frenzy of the Toronto market.
I didn't follow the situation closely because my team was not involved.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You ignore that the isles tried giving younger,speedier goal scorers the $ earmarked for Tavares.

somewhere in HF archives,is my warning post to Isles fans that our team would end up overpaying a slowing Tavares.

Again, my complaint isn't Tavares leaving the isles ,but not getting young, cost controlled pieces for him before he left.I

I would rather have Panarin or Stone on 7/8 yr deals then the slowing Tavares on a 7/8 yr deal.

Again, this doesn't make sense to me. You won't give a legit star a payday who scored 47 goals and is on pace to score 40 again, because he is old and slow, but give an older and slower Lee 7x7? Komarov that contract? Legit stars are not the ones you let go to save on cap space and I think we are seeing exactly why.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
There's no reach. The Islanders have two centers pacing for 30 goals. They need a goal-scoring winger and a 3rd line center.

This level of analysis is ridiculous and I can prove it.

Since Engvall came onto the Leafs, they are playing at a 115 point pace. Therefore, Engvall is one of the best players in the league for making the Leafs as good as they are. That's a fact.

See how ridiculous this sounds? It ignores a coaching change around the same time, it ignores other players having breakout years. It's just lazy analysis that reeks of bias. Ask Buffalo about ROR

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I read that Stamkos was turned off by the high pitch frenzy of the Toronto market.
I didn't follow the situation closely because my team was not involved.

Lou's pitch was mentioned as turning Stamkos off. Lou brought in the Canadian Tire CEO and made the whole thing about money when Stamkos wanted to hear about his role in making the team a contender.

It seems the only way he can get big name UFAs (and even some grinders) is giving them literally everything they ask for with no concessions. And even then, sometimes it scares them off instead.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

And I am hoping one of the youngsters Bellows , Wahlstrom or Holmstrom is the in house answer for goal scoring winger.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don't know, I am afraid I am not qualified to diagnose any disorders that cause delusions or conspiracies. The entire thing is well documented at this point, you just ignore facts because you would rather push a narrative.
I never said it was right or not but my opinion on the whole deal. It’s well documented how close he was to Weight and Snow who were both dumped for improvements that summer.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
This level of analysis is ridiculous and I can prove it.

Since Engvall came onto the Leafs, they are playing at a 115 point pace. Therefore, Engvall is one of the best players in the league for making the Leafs as good as they are. That's a fact.

See how ridiculous this sounds? It ignores a coaching change around the same time, it ignores other players having breakout years. It's just lazy analysis that reeks of bias. Ask Buffalo about ROR

You're not making any sense and you've proven nothing. Using your analogy Sheldon Keefe is the best coach in the NHL. No

The Islanders have two major holes, one is a goal-scoring winger and one is a 3rd line center.

Recent stretch aside, they're playing better than they ever did during Tavares entire tenure with the team.That's a fact. No one's saying Trotz influence is anything other than astounding.

Had Tavares stayed, they'd still need a scoring winger and 3rd line center. Tavares isn't "exactly what they need".

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Maybe, he means that Tavares would adequately fill the 3rd line center position for the Isles. :sarcasm:

This part is directed at no one in general:

But in all seriousness, maybe everyone should try to dial it back from the Tavares talk again. I'm happy for him personally and wish him and his family the best. And just like any other player in the NHL, I hope he doesn't win anything while not on the team I root for.

Also, this thread was seemingly started about the Isles getting offense to improve an otherwise good team. It does not have to necessarily be about aspects pertaining to "elite cup winner." The Isles are building their team from net out. Getting a bit more offense to allow their young d-corps another round or two of playoffs is a good thing.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I never said it was right or not but my opinion on the whole deal. It’s well documented how close he was to Weight and Snow who were both dumped for improvements that summer.

So you admit

- He was close to the GM and coach and they were fired before he made his decision meaning a clean slate in both the Island and TO

- He is from TO and his wife is from there so he has family connection.

You can't see that he was torn on this and maybe the firing of the ones he trusted swayed him at the last minute? It's not like he told Lou don't trade me, he told Snow who was let go.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Again, this doesn't make sense to me. You won't give a legit star a payday who scored 47 goals and is on pace to score 40 again, because he is old and slow, but give an older and slower Lee 7x7? Komarov that contract? Legit stars are not the ones you let go to save on cap space and I think we are seeing exactly why.

I am curious. Was Marner coming to LI to feed Tavares passes for those 47 goals , many tip ins?

I had concerns about giving a highly skilled,but slowing Tavares $11m-$12m on a 7/8 yr deal. I would rather the $11m-$$12m up in a speedier, younger player.

And I am not pleased with the term in Lee's contract. Does not change my opinion on giving a slowing Tavares $11m+ on a long-term contract

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Maybe, he means that Tavares would adequately fill the 3rd line center position for the Isles. :sarcasm:

Giggle.

This part is directed at no one in general:

But in all seriousness, maybe everyone should try to dial it back from the Tavares talk again. I'm happy for him personally and wish him and his family the best. And just like any other player in the NHL, I hope he doesn't win anything while not on the team I root for.

Also, this thread was seemingly started about the Isles getting offense to improve an otherwise good team. It does not have to necessarily be about aspects pertaining to "elite cup winner." The Isles are building their team from net out. Getting a bit more offense to allow their young d-corps another round or two of playoffs is a good thing.

As an Islanders fan, I'm actually over Tavares. It's over and done with, my main anger towards the whole ending of his tenure is firmly directed at Snow and Malkin. Should've traded him at the deadline. The team was no threat and could've used the assets acquired. The fact that Tavares begged not to be traded shouldn't had an influence, nor should Snow not wanting to be remembered as the "guy that traded Tavares".

The Islanders are lacking skill on Wing and a competent 3C.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what the Isles plans are. I firmly thought last year would've been one where we made a run at the playoffs but fell short, winding up in Lottery position and jettisoning Lee, Eberle, Nelson at the tdl and let Trotz develop the team to be young and exciting as they enter the Belmont era.

Now they've got a veteran team that has to be in win-now mode that needs a legitimate goal-scorer, which is proving extremely difficult to do, even if you toss 12.5 a season at them and have locked themselves into long-term contracts with players that are not performing (save Nelson, he's been great so far).

There, I feel better for venting. I will now go outside and shake my fists at those annoying clouds.

Reactions: CupHolders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad